Author Topic: Stapleford  (Read 8320 times)

Offline Bejantine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Stapleford
« on: Wednesday 16 February 11 13:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Does anyone know of any online parish registers for St Helen's or where I can buy them (if possible).  I need the years 1800-1900

Thanks
Fife - JOHNSTON, FOULIS,BATHGATE,KIRK<br />Edinburgh - BATHGATE, HARDIE<br />Angus - KIDD<br />Perthshire - STEWART, MacFARLANE, MENZIES, CAMPBELL, ROBERTSON<br />Lancashire: PILKINGTON, HALL, BOSS, PARTINGTON, JUBB, VARLEY, SNAPE, HAWORTH<br />Yorkshire: MORRIS, PILKINGTON, FITTON<br />Co Durham - OATES, SMITH, JONES<br />Northumberland - McCLAIN<br />Worcestershire- JONES, DARBY

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stapleford
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 17:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Take a look at the Nottinghamshire Family History Society website.
Stapleford bapts, marriages & burials are covered on their discs

www.nottsfhs.org.uk

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bejantine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 16 February 11 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Thank you
Fife - JOHNSTON, FOULIS,BATHGATE,KIRK<br />Edinburgh - BATHGATE, HARDIE<br />Angus - KIDD<br />Perthshire - STEWART, MacFARLANE, MENZIES, CAMPBELL, ROBERTSON<br />Lancashire: PILKINGTON, HALL, BOSS, PARTINGTON, JUBB, VARLEY, SNAPE, HAWORTH<br />Yorkshire: MORRIS, PILKINGTON, FITTON<br />Co Durham - OATES, SMITH, JONES<br />Northumberland - McCLAIN<br />Worcestershire- JONES, DARBY

Offline Chesters Thompson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 17 February 11 18:44 GMT (UK) »
Dear Carol,

I've been trying to find more about the parents of William Stevenson, clock & watchmaker, 1791 - 1881; and the exchange on this website suggests you might know more than me !

I do know, however, that his father was John Stevenson of Ruddington. Maxwell Craven's Clockmakers of Derbyshire book states that he too was a clockmaker of Ruddington, though as William was brought up by and apprenticed to his maternal grandfather, John Hallam, I've always assumed John died young.

I'd be most grateful for any help please, and can certainly tell you more of the Stevenson family's more recent history as William's grandaughter, Edna, married my great-grandfather, Stephen Chesters Thompson, in 1897.

Best wishes,

Simon Chesters Thompson
Brant Broughton
Lincolnshire

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 17 February 11 20:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Simon and welcome to Rootschat

What information are you looking for?  Do you have John Stevenson's marriage?  if so,when & where?

I think it would be better if you started a new topic on the Notts look up request page.  That way more people will read it and will be able to join in the search.

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline turnerhoyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 October 11 19:14 BST (UK) »
hi  stephen chesters thompson was the brother of my greatx3 grandfather- he was  john thompson who married mary ann whitby they had 9 children stephen born 1862 was my great grandfather

any info on stephen chesters thompson born 1870 would be most welcome

kind regards christine

Offline Chesters Thompson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 31 October 11 20:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Christine -

Stephen Chesters Thompson (1870 - ca.1940) was my great-grandfather. I obviously didn't know him, and unfortunately my father can't quite remember him; however, several people I know / have known do, and I have a nice photograph of him on my study wall.

As you probably know, he had an older sister called Charlotte, and I believe their mother, Harriet, died having a third child (which didn't survive). On his mother's death, I was told me he was packed off to stay with relatives on their farm in Cheshire, though I've never been able to establish with certainty who they were.

However, he returned to Manchester not too long afterwards and in the 1890s set-up a firm of surveyors & auctioneers there, which my grandfather (Stewart: 1911 - 87) and father (also Stephen, b.1937) followed him into. I understand he was a great extrovert but also a staunch methodist. A much loved and relatively recently deceased family friend recalled being chased round the garden by him as he puffed on a large cigar, calling choo-choo - she then became known as choo-choo everafter.

When my grandfather was young they lived at a house called The Larches in Heaton Mersey, near Manchester. My grandfather was their youngest child, having two rather curious sounding big sisters called Edna and Doris, one whom I recall being told ran a pet shop and kept a crocoile in the bath.

When in his 60s he sustaind some sort of knee injury when getting up from the table, and it was from complications of this that I understand he eventually died - all would have been easily cured these days. My grandfather was about to be called-up and managed to get a short dealy while he arranged for an aunt or female cousin to run the family firm in his absence. I'm told she did this spectacularly well until my grandfather's safe return.

Stephen CT is, I believe, buried in Southern Cememtery, Manchester, with lots of his family - I must one day go to find them all.

Do please tell me about my Great-great-great uncle John.

Best wishes,

Simon Chesters Thompson

Offline turnerhoyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 31 October 11 20:45 GMT (UK) »
hi simon
             thank you so much for your reply, what a fasinating story, lucky you knowing all this info.

i will try to tell you about my thompson family.my greatx2 grandfather john was born in 1837 and died in 1893. he married mary ann whitby they had 8 children, their 2nd child was my greatgrandfather, he was also called stephen born 1862 and died in 1930.

stephen married mary ann fleet, they had 9 children, their 2nd son was my grandfather alfred born 1888 and he died in 1948 unfortunatly before i was born, he to was a farmer, he had a farm in a place called cholmondeston- near winsford cheshire.

my grandfather married frances collins they had 6 children- my mum ethel was born in 1919 and died last year at the age of 91- mumhad 2 brothers who never married albert and tom- they carried on with the farm untill their deaths a few years ago  hope you can follow all of this and if you would like to know anything else about the other children of john then please get back in touch
        kind regards christine

Offline turnerhoyle

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 November 11 08:42 GMT (UK) »

hello simon
                         do you know what happened to charlotte, i have found a marriage for charlotte fairhurst thompson in 1891 to a patrick casey connolly, but can't find anything for her after this, did wonder if she could have gone to ireland with her new husband
                                                                           best wishes christine