Author Topic: Perth Prison  (Read 32646 times)

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Perth Prison
« on: Wednesday 25 June 08 20:56 BST (UK) »
Hi all!

I've found an ancestor on the 1871 census as being a prisoner in Perth Prison.   ;D  I'm just wondering if there are any online records I can search to try to find out what the naughty laddie had been up to.......  Can anyone point me in the right direction or do I need to go to West Register House?

Lass x

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Perth Prison
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 21:04 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Have you checked the National Archives of Scotland's online catalogue? I've found a few crimes recorded about the same time period. Local newspapers would probably cover the incident too. :)

Link: http://www.nas.gov.uk/onlineCatalogue

hume24

Offline fiona g

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Lass

I too had a husband and wife that commited a crime, husband sent to Perth prison for a 15mth stretch wife got off with charge.NAS record for being imprisoned given as theft and reset of theft.I often wonder what they stole.
Fiona

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 21:38 BST (UK) »
Hi there and thanks for helping!

I don't know what it is I'm doing wrong, but I have problems searching with NAS, I can NEVER find anything/anyone I'm looking for..... no matter what I do, I can never seem to find individual records and I consider myself fairly adept at this sort of thing!!!! Aaaarrghhhh!!

Lass x

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 21:40 BST (UK) »
What was the name of your prisoner? ;D At times, I have the same problem with the NAS search ... the record never appears until I'm searching for something else!

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 21:42 BST (UK) »
 ;D  Thanks Hume, I didn't want to ask outright, I was trying to persevere but this site frustrates me like no other!!

My chap is:

William Crumley
born abt 1822 in Perth and residing at the County Prison (as a prisoner!), Perth at the time of the 1871 census

Any help you can offer will be gratefully accepted!

Lass x

Offline hume

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 21:53 BST (UK) »
Hi again, :)

Only found two records for a William Crumley. However, he's a lot younger than your William (born c. 1844) and this one was found not guilty. The reference numbers for his records are AD14/71/16 and JC26/1871/19. Other info included is that he was a tinsmith. :-\

hume24

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 21:55 BST (UK) »
Hume

I promise I'll have an early night tonight and get some sleep, if you promise to forgive me for telling you William was born in 1822 when he was actually born in 1844...........  :-[ ::)

That's my man, tinsmith he was!!

Lass x

Offline Lass

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 June 08 22:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much for your help Hume!  It's a tad odd to find that he was found not guilty, but is it possible that he was held in prison pending the outcome of his trial?

Can I ask a quick question?  How on earth did you track this? Could I beg of you to type-talk through how you searched when you have a minute or two to spare?  :D

Lass x