Author Topic: Help! Perth History!  (Read 27540 times)

Offline Jerik24

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help! Perth History!
« on: Tuesday 03 July 12 15:18 BST (UK) »
Hi I have a couple of things I need help with! I am looking to speak to someone who knows a bit about the History of Perth.  I am currently doing my family tree and most of my family grew up in Perth (as did I) and I am very interested in hearing what Perth was like "back in the day" including Errol.  The years I am partically interested in are 1860 onwards really if anyone could help id love to have a chat with you.  Thanks in advance :)

Offline DDJJake

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help! Perth History!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 July 12 20:57 BST (UK) »
Try this url  ...
http://archive.org/details/historyperth00johnuoft
It's a 36 megabyte download
for
History of the County of Perth : from 1825 to 1902
Auchmutie, Ingles, Henderson, Fife, Patrick, Moffat, Collier, Hunter, McLeod, Cassells  in Fife
Henderson, Nicoll, Baxter, Hill in Angus, Nicoll in California USA, Australia
Henderson Cuthbert, Hendry in Perth, and NY State
Telfer, Walker, Rennie, Maclaren in Falkirk, Glasgow, Paisley, USA, Australia, NZ
Rennie in Winnipeg
Richardson in Lochmaben, Dumfries
Kerr in Midlothian, Stirling, Illinois, Ontario, Manitoba
Waddel in West Lothian, Ohio
McMillan in Argyll

Offline JoeDuffy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 13 July 12 13:37 BST (UK) »
I've always lived in Perth, b1969, and my mother (still alive) has also, b1934. Going further back, my family has been here since the 1850s. Ask away, I have loads of Perth books, etc if me or my mother don't know.

Offline JoeDuffy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 July 12 13:39 BST (UK) »
Try this url  ...
http://archive.org/details/historyperth00johnuoft
It's a 36 megabyte download
for
History of the County of Perth : from 1825 to 1902

That's not Perth, Scotland it's Perth in Ontario Canada.

Offline Jerik24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 July 12 17:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Joe thanks for your reply.  Not sure where to start now.  My family lived in Ruthven Avenue (hunters) from 1938 to 1948 I havent seen any pictures of this so im not sure at all what it looks like ive tried the library but they dont have a picture of Ruthven Avenue do you know where I could get one from?

Offline JoeDuffy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 July 12 21:00 BST (UK) »
It's a small world. We also lived in Hunters. We moved in 1973 or 1974 when I was about 4 or 5 so I don't remember much. I'm sure it was Ruthven Avenue my sister lived in. If you go to McDonald Court in Fairfield, that's pretty much what was Ruthven Avenue was like but minus all the greenery and colour.

I don't have any pictures of Ruthven Avenue but I have one looking towards Hunters in the 60s which wil give you an idea of what the area looked like.

Offline JoeDuffy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 July 12 21:06 BST (UK) »
www.rootschat.com/links/0opg/ (link shrunk - see www.rootschat.com/links/index.php)

That link is what Ruthven Avenue looks like now. My sister lived in the block down the end facing you.

Offline Jerik24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 July 12 10:12 BST (UK) »
What a great picture Joe and thank you for the google map picture I know where you mean now ill need to take a wander down with my mum.  So was the white bridge always there or did that come later? I know from speaking to the archives dept that Ruthven Avenue was built in 1937ish I wonder if that was all of Fairfield that was built then? a new housing scheme perhaps?

Offline JoeDuffy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 July 12 11:24 BST (UK) »
I think the whole scheme was built in the 30s. It was always just known as "Hunters" or "Hunter's Crescent" although Hunter's Crescent was just one of the streets. In the 70s and 80s Hunters was a very deprived area and had a very bad reputation. It was rebuilt late 80s I think and renamed Fairfield, it's all very different now. Our old house at 33d Hunter Crescent is totally gone.

Are you thinking that photo is taken on the white bridge? It's a mistake I also had for years. It's actually taken on the steps of the Feus Hoose pub which is also long gone. That's my dad in the photo.

The Feus Hoose was where the block of flats is in the middle of this picture, my photo was taken facing the opposite direction towards Hunters:
www.rootschat.com/links/0oph/ (link shrunk - see www.rootschat.com/links/index.php)