Author Topic: Re: Marriage of John King b1726  (Read 1958 times)

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of John King b1726
« on: Wednesday 19 February 14 17:36 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find a marriage for the above, who was my 5G Grandfather. He was born in Bletchingdon in 1726 and had 8 children:- Martha, Ann, John, Robert, Sarah, William x 2 and Mary. His wife's christian name was Martha and I am trying to find the wedding and her surname. Any help, would be much appreciated, as up until now, this has been a brick wall!

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 February 14 09:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I think this may be your marriage, it is the only one I can see that fits time wise between a John King and a Maryha in Oxfordshire. Mind out though because the villages involved are not too far from Buckinghamshire either?;

St Mary Magdalen, Oxford. 16 Oct 1750 John King to Martha PEAKE of Wendlebury by license.

If it still exists the license may be available to view at Oxford Records Office, St Lukes, Cowley

NDRFT
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 February 14 09:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Can you let me know your source. As it happens you have come up with the name that I have on my tree, but, unusually for me, I cannot trace the source of my information. So your source would be extremely helpful. A search on Ancestry showed two other trees for this family and their Martha's had different surnames, which made me question mine.

Incidentally, I notice that you are interested in Moss, Oxfordshire. My direct line is through Moss of West Adderbury, Oxfordshire. Any connection?

Bill

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 February 14 11:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill
Whoops I missed that I had not put that in.

I first looked in the OFHS Marr Index 1538 -1837 to get close and then seeing the marriage for St Mary Magdalene looked in the OFHS CD to get the PR entry. What I typed is what the OFHS transcribed.

If you need more I will try and help but in reality there is no more detail unless you actually look at the license.

Well the Moss family is enormous and all over Oxfordshire in my tree. My maternal Gran was a Moss.
Who have you got at Adderbury - I used to live there.

NDRFT
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline billbir

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 February 14 19:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Thanks for the source, that was very helpful.

I will just give you a sample of the Moss connection and if you are interested, I can give some more. My first involvement was with Martha Moss b1837 who married Charles Bates and she was my second great-grandmother. They lived in West Adderbury, Oxfordshire. Martha,was the daughter of William Moss born 1795 who was married to Sarah Charles and Emma Alfred. His occupation was I believe a Cordwainer. William had seven children of which Martha was one, so you can see how the Moss's would proliferate. My earliest Moss, is Samuel, b1756, but I have no record of his wife. If any of this Rings a Bell, let me know and I can provide more information.

Bill