Author Topic: Hart family of Magherashanvalley, Donaghmore, Co. Donegal  (Read 13304 times)

Offline ZiggyZipgun

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hart family of Magherashanvalley, Donaghmore, Co. Donegal
« on: Monday 12 September 11 04:32 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone!

I'm trying to find any details about my great-great-great-grandfather, James Hart, and his father, Samuel.  The family lived in Magherashanvalley between approximately 1785 and 1834; prior to that, they had lived in Scotland, and in 1834 they sailed to New York on a brig named Ontario and settled in the western part of that state.

Samuel Hart was born about 1789; his son James was born about 1813.  On the 1796 Spinning Wheel Premium list, a Samuel and a James Hart are both listed in Donaghmore Parish, and in the 1826 Tithe Applotment Book, both a Samuel and a James are listed in Magherashanvalley, and a Thomas Hart was living in Corcullion.  My great-great-great-grandfather would've been a little too young to be paying tithes in 1826, and no ages are ever given on these records, so I can't even take a wild guess who Samuel's father might've been, especially since Samuel's father would've been born in Scotland, and I have no clue what part of Scotland. 

Also, in The Family History of the Hart of Donegal, they mention a Thomas Hart that lived in "Maughrysharwely" who left a Dublin will in 1815, but it convinced the researchers that he was "of Jewish extraction" - which doesn't necessarily mean he's not related to my Harts, since the recurring names in my line are Solomon, Moses, Samuel, James, Joseph, etc., though they are consistently listed as Church of Ireland, and have been Methodists for longer than anyone can remember.  Unfortunately, I've had no luck finding any other mention of that will, let alone any mention of Samuel, James, or Thomas, outside of these very unhelpful records. 

I'm eager to find the name of my 5th-great-grandfather, but I've searched every record I've ever heard of, and spent quite a few €'s in the process.  I've even taken a 67-marker DNA test, which has only confirmed that I'm not related to the vast majority of the Harts in America that have also taken the DNA test.  Where else can I search?  I've been staring at this brick wall for two years now, even after driving thousands of miles visiting the original farms in Kendall, New York, and Smiths Creek, Michigan, and contacting living descendants of all but one of Samuel's nine children.

At this point, any suggestions at all could be a big help!  Thanks!

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Hart family of Magherashanvalley, Donaghmore, Co. Donegal
« Reply #1 on: Monday 12 September 11 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, I think I see Samuel's marriage record from 1807 St Columb's Cathedral, Londonderry, Samuel Hart = Charlotte Harrow, doesn't seem to be any parents names on this record however

Although you say family came from Scotland in the 1780's there are Harts recorded in the Cathedral registers back to the 1650's,

Regards

Joe
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline ZiggyZipgun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 September 11 16:10 BST (UK) »
That is the correct marriage record, though his wife's name is later spelled Marrow on their youngest son's 1911 New York death certificate.  There is a fairly large book from 1907 called The Family History of the Harts of Donegal, but there is apparently no relation, since they are descendants of a British officer that was assigned to Donegal - and they don't mention any Harts from Magherashanvalley in the book.  The Michigan branch of the family formed a reunion committee in 1925, and were trying to contact their cousins that had remained in New York; they announced the election of reunion officials in the local paper, and mentioned that they traced the family back to Scotland, and that it moved to Ireland in 1785, and left for America after two generations - this is the only mention of Scotland we've found, and even though my grandfather attended a lot of those reunions in the 1920s and '30s, we have yet to find any surviving documents from that committee. 

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 September 11 18:33 BST (UK) »
You may already have this piece of information but in case you do not I'll forward it here, it refers to a mortgage that your Samuel Hart arranged in 1823, I am unsure if this is all the information contained within the document but would be worth checking out, the document is held at PRONI in Belfast.

PRONI Reference :   D3608/2/100

Title :   Assignment of a mortgage by Samuel Hart
Dates :   29 September 1823
Description :   Assignment of a mortgage by Samuel Hart of Magherashanvally, Co. Donegal, to Alexander Humfrey of Dublin and James Murray Barton of Dublin, trustees of the marriage settlement of Mary Keys and Captain Benjamin Geale Humfrey. The mortgage relates to lands at Cavancor, Co. Donegal.

PRONI Reference :   D3608/2/74
Title :   Deed of mortgage between George Keys, Nathaniel
Dates :   3 August 1795
Description :   Deed of mortgage between George Keys, Nathaniel Keys and William Keys, all of Cavanacor, Co. Donegal, and Thomas Hart of Magherashanvally, Co. Donegal, on lands at Cavanacor, Co. Donegal.

Again I would question the ascertain that the family came from Scotland in the 1780's, there were 5 Hart families living in Donaghmore Parish in the 1760's, among them a Samuel Hart, these Hart's are the only Harts that appear in Donegal in that Census.
(Protestant Census 1766),
John Hart
Thomas Hart
James Hart
Barclay Hart
Samuel Hart
(All Parish of Donaghmore, Donegal)

Unfortunately this Census does not have townland data for the area, if Thomas Hart (b.1811) was Samuel's eldest son then there is a good chance that Samuel's father was also called Thomas in the Irish/Scotish traditional naming pattern, if so then the Thomas Hart who appears in the 1766 Census, or the Thomas Hart from the above PRONI document from 1795 may be Samuel's father. Without further proof it may be as near as you get.

Regards

Joe
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline ZiggyZipgun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 September 11 19:09 BST (UK) »
Let's step back a minute...where are you seeing Thomas (b.1811) mentioned?  Because that is indeed his eldest son, but I don't know where you'd see that other than the 1834 passenger list, or the subsequent U.S. census records. 

Still, thanks for that very helpful bit of information!

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 September 11 21:09 BST (UK) »
Hi, I did a quick google search for Samuel Hart and saw a post from another forum where it lists his children,

don't have anything else at the moment apart from the marriage of Thomas Hart = Martha ? in 1777 St. Eunan's Cathedral Raphoe, maybe the same Thomas from above, again marriage doesn't list fathers name and I don't have a surname for Martha, had a glance through the genealogical data from the  'Harts of Donegal' book and your correct the families don't seem to be directly related, wouldn't rule out the possibility that they may be related at some level however.

Glad my previous post may have been of some use, from the PRONI records it seems the family may have been of some means, this should help with hopefully some other records surviving, Captain Benjamin Humfrey mentioned in the document from 1823 was a Magistrate in County Donegal.

Regards

Joe

Offline ZiggyZipgun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 12 September 11 21:50 BST (UK) »
Oh, that explains it - I'm sure it was one of my posts, as I have yet to encounter anyone else that ever traced their Harts back as far as Samuel, and it was only after I teamed up with my aunt and my cousin that we were able to piece that much together.  I believe I've looked around on the PRONI site before, but was never able to find anything until you came along.  I'm surprised to not find any mention of the surname Harrow or Marrow...I figured that even with a transcription error, one or the other would be correct. 

Now, I tried posting the image of this, but the 500KB attachment limit prevented that, so here it is.  A distant cousin of mine was kind enough to share this poem that was passed down through the descendants of Samuel's son, Moses - who is the only one of Samuel's children not mentioned here, which we suspect was Moses' choice when he made copies of it from the original in 1856.  It was written by a school teacher named McKinney that was a friend of the family.

LINES COMPOSED OF THE ANCIENT PROPRIETORS OF SHANVALLEY NOW PREPARING FOR AMERICA.
By MCKINNEY

Shanvalley once the pride of all these parts,
And flourish’d long beneath the Race of Harts
As if in sorrow at their going away,
Now clouded seems, and falling to decay.

The fertile fields and meads so gay so green,
Where winter’s withered face could scarce be seen,
A different aspect here of late assumes
All of their verdant beauties clad in gloom.

Here oft the needy and the neighboring poor
Found sure relief and still an open door;
The stranger too benighted sought the road,
To Mr. Hart’s of Shanvalley’s abode.

But now no more the sprightly dance or songs,
In blameless mirth, goes round the cheerful throng;
No more at setting sun or rising moon,
We hear the viol’s brisk enlivening tune.

You charming fair still with abundance blest,
Of beauty, grace, and modesty possess;
Entitled to unclaimed respect beside,
And always free from vanity and pride.

Farewell, be happy in a foreign land;
Eliza fair and noble Mary Ann.
Seven blooming youths of fair unblemished fame,
Recorded here, each by his proper name.

The first is Thomas, sober, wise and grave,
In person, graceful, and in conduct, brave.
Well skilled in that most useful of all arts,
To mortals, most essential in all parts.

The second, James, the noblest of our youth,
Fames for true valour, dignity and truth;
A faultless form above the middle size,
A face like Phebus beaming in our eyes,
Where Mars and Venus both united shine,
To render him complete in every line.

Two absentees already have crost o’er,
And point the way to freedom’s native shore;
Samuel and Joseph, sacred names we find
That bode success to those here left behind.

Solly and William, comely, fair and young,
The last that from a worthy mother sprung;
In them already independence glows
And their success through life hereafter shows.

Shalt thou Miss Charlotte here forgotten be
Seeing removed from those but one degree;
Delightful pratter innocence so sweet,
Might render short the passage o’er the deep.

Now to you all a long last adieu;
And if the good be happy so will you.

I did find one reference to a David McKinney that was mentioned in the 1826 school census, but I haven't found any other records that might pinpoint who wrote the poem. 

Offline ZiggyZipgun

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 September 11 22:15 BST (UK) »
I'm surprised to think that they "may have been of some means" - in the Civil Ejectments record, James is listed twice in 1830, and Samuel is listed once in 1832 - both in Magherashanvally, and both for "overholding" which was apparently the way to evict people for no real reason at all.  The landlord in each case was James Boyle Delap. 

The farm in Michigan that Samuel's son James built is still in our family, and owned by a 3rd-cousin of mine, who told me that he'd heard that James' wife was ashamed of their farm, and didn't want her relatives in Donegal to come visit - but they may have been referring to their homestead in Western New York, where they lived immediately after arriving in America. 

What do you think the chances are of finding some record of the 1815 will that was mentioned in the 1907 Harts of Donegal book? 

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 September 11 07:22 BST (UK) »
The fact that Thomas Hart was involved in the purchase of land in 1795 was the reason I thought the family may have been of some means, on closer examination of the transactions it looks like Keys gentlemen mentioned sold the land at Cavancor to Thomas Hart. The fortunes of the family may have waned over the following generation as the second transaction the land seems to be resold by Samuel Hart in 1823. By 1830 the family was in real difficulties as they were charged with 'Overholding', this means they must have been at least 6 months in arrears with their rent, it was the last stage before eviction.

It's doubtful whether or not the Will will have survived, if it was held in Dublin then it was probably destroyed in 1922 in the fire at the Four Courts where so much invaluable genealogical data was stored

Regards

Joe