Author Topic: Greenbank Presbyterian Church Parish Muff Co. Donegal graveyard lookup request  (Read 16236 times)

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Greenbank Presbyterian Church Parish Muff Co. Donegal graveyard lookup request
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 09:26 GMT (UK) »

But finding the right Gallagher family is sure to be difficult - perhaps if I can find John's death record in Scotland, (I have posted elsewhere on Rootschat and will search ScotlandsPeople)- it may have his mother's maiden name on it.  I wondered, too, why both witnesses were Weirs - I would've thought John would have had a brother attending him...or perhaps he wasn't from Co. Donegal at all.

Regarding the marriage record of John and Rebecca, there may of been a reason that there were no Gallaghers as witnesses, Gallagher is a native Irish surname, St. Patricks Church Iskaheen(the local Roman Catholic church for the Parish) has 57 Gallagher births registered in the second half of the 19C, in the same period Crossroads Presbyterian church has none (that I can see) It is therefore highly likely that John Gallagher was a Roman Catholic and that this was a mixed marriage. This would have caused controversy at the time and the fact that the family were raised as Presbyterian would probably have alienated John from the local Catholic population, this could well have been a reason why they left the Parish (that's just speculation however!) The birth records for Iskaheen can be found on the Donegal Genealogical Resources site and begin in 1858 so too late for your John unfortunately

McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline helenjean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Greenbank Presbyterian Church Parish Muff Co. Donegal graveyard lookup request
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Joe:

I have just had a reply to my post about John's death in Scotland (he died in 1928 and his son Joseph was the informant on the death record showing John Snr's parents as John (a stone mason) and mother Margaret Elder as well as first wife Rebecca Weir and second wife Jeanie Dalrymple (he remarried in 1912).

As for the religion question (R.C. -v- Presbyterian), I wondered about that too, and I also understand there was  a lot of persecution of catholics in the early part of the 19th century.

I do recall that I thought I had found a placename Carey in Cushendall parish, Co. Antrim, so I will follow that up too.  This is soo exciting for me!  :)

Thanks again for your interest and guidance ... I have learned so much in these few days.

Cheers Helen
Anderson, Wylie,(Glasgow Scotland) Gallagher and Weir, (Co. Donegal, Ireland to Glasgow, possibly also to Canada) McCormack, (Ireland to Scotland),  Leigh, (England to Australia) Thomas (England to New Zealand)  Hatfield and Hoare (England to Australia) Bacon (England to Australia) Parenti (Italy to Australia) da Silva (Azores to New Zealand)

Offline joemc

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen, before we got side tracked your original request was for a lookup at Greenbank church graveyard for the name Weir, I managed to take a look round the graveyard this morning and unfortunately there are no other Weir graves apart from the plot photographed in earlier post, there is one gravestone with a crude J W inscribed on it in another part of the graveyard that could maybe stand for Joseph weir but that's all I could find  >:(
McCorkell, Clarke, Williams, Craig, Baird, Peoples, MacDonald, Wray and associated families, Counties Donegal and Londonderry, Ireland and America

Offline helenjean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 March 13 20:05 GMT (UK) »
That's good advice Joe - and thanks for taking the time to have a look. :)  Helen
Anderson, Wylie,(Glasgow Scotland) Gallagher and Weir, (Co. Donegal, Ireland to Glasgow, possibly also to Canada) McCormack, (Ireland to Scotland),  Leigh, (England to Australia) Thomas (England to New Zealand)  Hatfield and Hoare (England to Australia) Bacon (England to Australia) Parenti (Italy to Australia) da Silva (Azores to New Zealand)

Offline Elliebob

• RootsChat Senior
  • Maggie Wright 1889-1949
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 14:12 GMT (UK) »
We have been looking for burials in this churchyard.  We were in touch with the minister who told us that unfortunately there is no burial register - a fact which was confirmed by a relative who was minister there some years ago. I thought this may be a useful piece of information for others who may be looking for unmarked graves.  However, if anyone knows who is  buried in the grave just marked "Brooks" we would be most grateful.
Best wishes
Ellen
Court, Stratford on Avon, Dorsington, Welford<br />Faulkner,Glos/Warwicks<br />Higgins, Quinton<br />Bennett, Stoke on Trent<br />Stride, Hampshire<br />Wright, Stoke on Trent<br />McConnell, Co Donegal<br />Brooks, Co Donegal, Antrim<br />Jackson, Warwickshire/Isle of Wight/India/army<br />Keefe, Essex, Hampshire/Isle of Wight/army/india<br, Queensland aus. />Chatfield, Sussex

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 March 13 14:17 GMT (UK) »
Most Presbyterian churches did not (and many still do not) keep burial registers- usually only the Church of Ireland did so (and the rector would sometimes only record burials for members of C. of I.).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline dsmithfl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 27 June 14 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hello, I know this is an older thread, but I just stumbled on it, and thought I would reply.  I have recently discovered that I am descended from the Joseph Weir from Aught mentioned in this thread.  I would be interested in discussing this line with anyone who is also connected.  Thanks very much!  Doug Smith

Offline helenjean

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 29 June 14 09:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Doug: great to hear from you.  :) I originally thought that Joseph Weir of Aught was not MY Joseph Weir (see earlier posts on this thread, especially the gravestone at Greenbank Church) - Joseph Weir from Three Trees married Rachel Weir of Aught, and the other Joseph's wife was named Esther;  but I've just had a light bulb moment - I'm, wondering whether Joseph et al from Aught might have been Rachel's family - will need to follow that up.). Joseph and Rachel had three children,  Margaret b. 1839, Rebecca b. 1849 and Robert Joseph b. 1853.

Margaret married John Allen, a shoemaker in 1866 (in Derry) and they had Jane b. 1867, Rachel b.1870, Mary b.1875, Rebecca b. 1875 Joseph b.1877, Margaret b. 1880 and John b. 1883. Jane married William Smith (or Smyth as it appears in a later census) in 1900, Joseph m. Jemimah Donaldson 1920, Mary m Alexander Crawford 1897 and Rebecca m. Robert Stewart 1903. If any of these names mean anything to you, please send me a PM with an email address and we can discuss it further. Cheers Helen

Me again Doug: Joseph Weir of Aught and Robert J Weir of Three Trees were signatories at Greenbank to the Ulster Covenant and Maggie and Martha Allen both of Aught also signed the Declaration at Greenbank. Cheers  Helen  ;)

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 29 June 14 12:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   Doug will have to make another couple of posts before he can use the Parsonal Message system.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim