Author Topic: Saunders from Annbank, St Quivox, Tarbolton  (Read 6874 times)

Offline jimscs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Saunders from Annbank, St Quivox, Tarbolton
« on: Sunday 15 November 09 22:00 GMT (UK) »
I am researching my family links in Ayrshire. I would appreciate any information.

Thank you
Jim Saunderss

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Saunders from Annbank, St Quivox, Tarbolton
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 November 09 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

So that people can offer you the best help in terms of information or indeed, anyone who is also researching the same line, it helps if you can add a bit more detail to the family group you are researching with some dates/ names etc.

What information have you managed to find so far so that people can also focus on adding new details to what you have already.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BillK94

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 July 11 00:13 BST (UK) »
I am researching my family links in Ayrshire. I would appreciate any information.

Thank you
Jim Saunderss

pre 1958 local paper clipping

Richard Saunders
In Brown Crescent, at the head of the village, lives Mr Richard Saunders (78) a member of the oldest family in Annbank. The family were among the original Annbank Villagers. He also started work in the pits at the age of 12, walking 2½ miles each day to Drumdoo Pit for 1s a day. He spent 35 years in the pits before retiring because of eye trouble. He is now a bookmaker and also holds the County Council scavenging contract for Annbank and surrounding villages, he employs six men , and has two vehicles for the work.
Mr Saunders played football for Annbank 50 years ago, signing for the club at the same time as Dan Hay - the player who was later to win lasting fame as a member of one of Celtic’s greatest half back lines; Young, Loney, and Hay. Mr Saunders won the Ayrshire cup medal with the club. Mr Saunders football career ended by a knee injury which almost cost him his leg 14 years ago, then Doctors almost amputated it because it still troubled him. Mr Saunders and his family of eleven, ten of whom survive. Two of his six sons help him in business, two are in Canada and two in England.

Offline Nsaunders

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 September 14 16:11 BST (UK) »
Jim,
I read your post and think my father was the youngest son of Richard Saunders. His name was William and he immigrated to Canada and eventually to the USA. My mother is still alive (84) and has many photos and story to share. She grew up in Drongan and immigrated with my father and his brother Dick.
Neil

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 September 14 13:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Jim has not been back online here since 2009 so may not be receiving notifications of new posts if emails provider has been changed over time.

Monica

Offline MCThomson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 September 14 01:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil

Is your Mum's name Betty who lives in Utah & a sister called Ann who lives in Arizona by any chance? If the answer is yes then I'm pretty sure Jim may have already been in touch with them (that's if it is the same Jim who's my Dad's cousin).

I'm the Grand-daughter of Samuel Scott Saunders and GGrand-daughter of John Paton Saunders & Mary Scott Saunders.

Kind regards
Marjory

Offline jimscs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 18 September 14 08:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Neil

Is your Mum's name Betty who lives in Utah & a sister called Ann who lives in Arizona by any chance? If the answer is yes then I'm pretty sure Jim may have already been in touch with them (that's if it is the same Jim who's my Dad's cousin).

I'm the Grand-daughter of Samuel Scott Saunders and GGrand-daughter of John Paton Saunders & Mary Scott Saunders.

Kind regards
Marjory

Offline jimscs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 18 September 14 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I am the ggrandson of John & Mary Saunders. Grandson of James Scott Saunders. Which I reckon is the brother of your grandfather, Samuel.
I have been in touch with Anne from America as you suggested. She has been very helpful and provided a great deal of information. I have tried to go further back but I failed to get anywhere. As I am now retired I have decide  to try and find out as much information about our common ancestors, .James & Mary, why they left Annbank a and settled in Armadale, what journey they took at the time, how they travelled. To help me add more detail to the family tree I am developing could you advise of your branch?
Best Regards,
Jim

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 18 September 14 17:09 BST (UK) »
Hurray  ;D You are all still there!

Monica  ;)