Author Topic: Ayr Trade Directory Question  (Read 1577 times)

Offline Tom 23

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ayr Trade Directory Question
« on: Friday 31 October 14 09:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have a relation who first appears in the 1858/1859 Ayr Trade Directory at 134 High Street, with the entry line Anthony McCall, baker.

I had assumed this meant that this was the address of an actual bakers shop, but having seen later editions now think this could just be a residential address.

Please could anyone confirm if a residential address entry would show an occupation next to the name or if this actually would have been a bakery at this address?

Thanks

Offline Iandj

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Ayr Trade Directory Question
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 October 14 16:54 GMT (UK) »
The 1861 census for Ayr shows an Anthony Mccall, baker, living at 120 High Street with his wife, Marian, their three children and a domestic servant. He is described as employing a man and a boy. The 1858 town map of the High Street seems to show a mix of residential and commercial properties - maybe people 'living over the shop'. A check of the 1861 census for 134 High St might help to clarify whether it is commercial, residential or both.

Regards
Iandj
Iandj

Dumfriesshire: Martin, Lorrain(e), Smart, Muir
Roxburghshire, Selkirkshire: Lorrain, Turnbull, Riddell, Elliot(t), Ker(r), Scott
Lancashire, Cheshire: Johnston, Rutter, Barrow
Ayrshire, Lanarkshire: Jamieson, Glasgow, Thomson, Riddet, Blair
Clackmannan, Fife, Stirling: Simpson, Kirk, Stein, Pryde, Penman, Hempseed, Bauchop
Kincardineshire: Craig, Stewart

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 November 14 00:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Tom 23,
     ScotlandsPeople has a Will for Anthony McCall, Baker, Ayr. Died 15/4/1876 at Ayr.
          Ayr Sheriff Court Wills - SC6/46/12. 11 Pages. (10 Credits to view) (Search is free)
Also:   Ayr Sheriff Court     -     SC6/44/40. 11 Pages. (10 Credits to view)
     His Will would give his home address although, like 'landj' I suspect they lived "above the shop"
               Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Online Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 November 14 00:09 GMT (UK) »
I've just found several of mine living and doing business at the same address - and also of the occupation being given at the home address - I presume.   

So yes . . . . .

Please could anyone confirm if a residential address entry would show an occupation next to the name or if this actually would have been a bakery at this address?
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Online RJ_Paton

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cuimhnichibh air na daoine bho'n d'thainig sibh
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 November 14 18:17 GMT (UK) »
It could also be both ... if it was more than one storey either a multi storey tenement building, or a single floor above ground floor the commercial premises may have been on the ground floor with residential units above it.
Normally the best bet would be to check the valuation rolls for further information regarding the building but the earliest that appears available on SP is that for 1875.

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 November 14 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Yes Falkyrn,
     Had the same thought myself when I realised Anthony died 1876. Just now checked ScotlandsPeople for 1875 Valuation Roll, Ayr. 9 matches coming up for Antony McCall.
     None for Antony/Anthony 1885 Valuation Roll, but 9 matches for Marion McCall.
               Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Tom 23

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 November 14 10:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your assistance.

I have managed to work out that 134 was a residential address only by using a combination of birth certificates of children born between 1856 and 1860 and other Ayr Trade Directories.

Anthony is down as a Journeyman Baker on the birth certificates at this address, which I understand would mean he was employed not self-employed.

Therefore the entry in the directory does show his name and 'baker' next to it but 134 High Street was not a bakery.