Author Topic: McMillan and McCall - Sanquhar  (Read 5598 times)

Offline Bonnie Lassie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
McMillan and McCall - Sanquhar
« on: Tuesday 16 August 05 22:29 BST (UK) »
Robert McMILLAN and Christian MCCALL were married in Sanquhar, Dumfries, Scotland on February 1, 1824.   We have a copy of the OPR from Scotland's People.

We understand they had many children, one of which, was my grandfather, Archibald MCMILLAN, born between 1837 and 1840.
We have been unable to find Archibald's birth record.

We are hoping to connect with other MCMILLAN researchers who may be related to our family.

Look forward to all replies - Best Wishes

Bonnie Lassie (MCMILLAN)
On Florida's Spacecoast - USA

Offline brandane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McMillan and McCall - Sanquhar
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 September 05 16:36 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have a Josie McCall in my family tree, she was the daughter of Norman Richard MacMillan and Jessie Margaret Sharkey, as far as im aware they stem from dumfriesshire. I can speak to Josie as she is very up on the family tree and will post back to u if any info gained.
Sharkey/McQuade/McFarlan(e)/Quin or Queen/Steel/Baird/Welsh/Shannon/Crawford/Hutchinson/Ross/Conchie in Annan, Dumfriesshire, Carlisle and Ireland areas.

Offline Bonnie Lassie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 September 05 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hopefully there is a connection.  Below is all the information we have regarding the McMILLAN'S and McCALL'S from Dumfriesshire (mainly, as far as we know, Sanquhar):

Robert McMILLAN (date of birth unknown) married Christian/Christine McCALL (DOB unknown) in Sanquhar, Dumfries on February 1, 1824.  We do not know the names of their parents or where they were born.

Their children all born in Sanquhar, Dumfries:

Isabel McMILLAN            - born February 13, 1825
George McMILLAN          - born in 1827
Robert McMILLAN           - born in 1829
John McMILLAN              - born in 1831
Archibald McMILLAN       - born about 1836

Our great grandfather was Archibald McMillan.  We were not able to find his birth record in the Old Parish Records, although we did find his siblings.  We searched through the appropriate LDS Films, as well as, the Scotland's People website.

Archibald McMILLAN married Flora FLETCHER in Calton, Glasgow on December 30, 1859.  They had seven children:
Jane (18600, Christina (1862), Mary Gardner (1864), Robert (18670, Flora (1869), Margaret (1872) and Archibald (1874) (Archibald died at the age of 2).  Flora FLETCHER died on March 1, 1875.

Archibald MCMILLAN married for a second time.  His second wife was Mary LAURIE, who was, also, born in Sanquhar abt 1836.  Archibald and Mary LAURIE were married on September 24, 1875. (Mary LAURIE was my ggm).

My grandmother, Jane LAURIE MCMILLAN, was the first child born of this second union, her birthdate, August 26, 1876.  She was born at 125 Thistle St., in the Gorbals.  Mary LAWRIE died on May 28, 1883.

Mary LAWRIE's parents were Peter LAURIE and Mary MCNIEL.  Peter LAWRIE and Mary McNIEL were married in Tynron, Dumfries on January 2, 1824.  Peter was born in Dalmakerran, Dumfries and Mary in Glencairn.  We have not been able to find their birth records.  Peter was a shepherd.

Archibald MCMILLAN was married for a third time.  His third wife was Catherine BLAIR GRENFALL or LAMONT.

Archibald McMILLAN died on December 7, 1916 in Milton/Glasgow.  He had worked in a furniture warehouse.

We also have a Christina McCALL in our CUNNINGHAM line.

Let us know if you find any connection. 

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 February 14 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Bonnie,

Where were you searching for birth records? May I suggest Argyllshire? Both McMillan and Fletcher are common names in Argyll (and both are in my family tree!) and plenty Argyll folks married in Glasgow even if they never lived there. Just a thought. :)

Mary
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull