Author Topic: Rock-Armagh  (Read 3947 times)

Offline TonyMcGartland

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Rock-Armagh
« on: Monday 29 April 13 22:39 BST (UK) »
My wifes great-grandfather was born in Co.Armagh c. 1848 and was a railway porter, his name was Patrick Rock. His father was Simon Rock and was born early 1800. I am trying to locate living relatives of the Rocks as I have a wider family tree with some missing links. Hopefully someone can help.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Rock-Armagh
« Reply #1 on: Monday 29 April 13 23:14 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. This isn't a forum for tracing living people but sometimes relatives do find each other through the site.

It's hard to know exactly what information you already have so here's a few things for a start.

1901 census- Patrick, wife and two children living in Omagh, Co. Tyrone-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Tyrone/Omagh_Town/Market_Street/1746718

Ten years later Patrick has aged less than 10 years- wife and son in household- wife's details say married 27 years, 2 children (both living so perhaps daughter is married by now)-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tyrone/Omagh_Urban/Market_Street/875252

Possible marriage?
Patrick Rocks, Jan./Mar.1884 Omagh registration district volume 2 page 336

Possible death?
Patrick Rock, age 70, July/Sept.1915 Omagh registration district volume 2 page 173

According to an Ancestry Tree-
Patrick Rock (1848-17 Sept.1915) m.(24 July 1884) Bridget McSorley. Son Patrick Rock (22 Sept.1889-8 Aug.1937) m.(1921 Dublin) Matilda Moya Cameron.

This fits in with PRONI Will Extract and the fact that he was still a student when aged 21 years in 1911- "Rock Patrick of 1 Bayview Terrace Londonderry medical doctor died 8 August 1937 Administration Londonderry 26 January to Moya Rock the widow. Effects £1199 12s. 10d."
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline TonyMcGartland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 April 13 06:25 BST (UK) »

Hi thanks for your response, however everything in your response is known to me. The ancestry tree is possibly my own. I'm actually trying to go back to Armagh to trace his origins as I have everything else up to his buriel here in Omagh/Killyclogher area.

Establishing his childhood in Armagh and other family members has been difficult so I hope I am not abusing the forum by posting like this??

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 30 April 13 08:12 BST (UK) »
Your first post said "I am trying to locate living relatives of the Rocks" but it seems that you are actually trying to trace back from Patrick. Since he was born before the start of civil registration you'll need a more exact location than "Co. Armagh" to see if church records exist. Rock is a fairly common Armagh name, I believe, but hopefully his father's name (Simon) will help identify Patrick if you are able to find a baptim record.

Offline TonyMcGartland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 30 April 13 09:48 BST (UK) »
Sorry to sound confusing however living relatives could lead to Patricks past. He worked on the railway and the GNR(I) lines here in Omagh would possibly be one possibility, otherwise he may have worked on the Clogher Valley.
I really have no clues on which parish in Armagh and thats is most annoying. However, the name Simon is quite rare!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 30 April 13 11:41 BST (UK) »
There are details of Simon Rock's family posted on another forum which seem to indicate a location in Armagh- if these aren't your posts then worth trying to make contact to exchange family details:
http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/thread.aspx?mv=flat&m=10246&p=localities.britisles.ireland.arm.general

Offline TonyMcGartland

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 May 13 08:01 BST (UK) »
I think that the parish in Armagh that Simon Rocks family came from was Derrynoose.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 May 13 08:33 BST (UK) »
There are links to all sorts of resources in ARMAGH RESOURCES & LINKS at the top of this board, including this one which lists R.C. church records and where the microfilm copies are located-
http://www.from-ireland.net/county/article/R.C.-Parish-Records-Available-On-Microfilm%2C-Co.-Armagh/Armagh#display

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 January 14 23:36 GMT (UK) »
have you seen Tithe Applotment Books Co Armagh
Search results: Displaying results 1 - 2 of 2
Sort by: RelevanceSurnameForenameTownland or CityParishCountyYear
Surname   Forename   Townland/Street   Parish   County   Year
Rock   Patrick   Darrogue   Shrule   Armagh   
Rock   Patrick   Darrogue   Shrule   Armagh   
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy