Author Topic: Unknown edwardian vicar on photo 1908-1913, not GH Stock, Hanley Hoggard  (Read 2066 times)

Offline hanleyp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trying to identify vicar on a wedding photo dated 1908 -1913 --most likely 1909-1912 .
Was told the photo was wedding of Charles Hoggard and Lillie Hanley ( my great Aunt ) in 1908 in Pocklington . The vicar for that wedding was for certain one GH Stock. ( Pocklington vicar in 1908)
Have obtained photo of GH Stock ( from historical society) and he does not resemble vicar on photo.
Attached is photo of both .
My family ancestors basically lived in the area around Pocklington -abt 12 miles east of york -so it there is a fair possibility that the vicar was in ER . Some cousins of the bride Lillie Hanley lived in  Easton, Northamptonshire .

Philip Hanley

Offline Drosybont

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown edwardian vicar on photo 1908-1913, not GH Stock, Hanley Hoggard
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 July 14 12:27 BST (UK) »
Are there any vicars in the family?  Around that time in my family it was common for cousins or other relatives who were vicars to assist the parish vicar at weddings.

Drosybont
Hotham, Guilliatt, Brown, Winter, Buck, Webster, Mortimore
Richards, Meredith, Gower, Davies, Todd, Westmacott, Hill
Mid C19 Cardiff and Haverfordwest, the Marychurch family.

Offline hanleyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 28 July 14 02:19 BST (UK) »
Are there any vicars in the family?  Around that time in my family it was common for cousins or other relatives who were vicars to assist the parish vicar at weddings.

Drosybont
[Thanks for suggestion -not aware of any vicars on the Hanley side --but worth investigating .There was a vicar on my mothers side ( always thought it was dads family photo ) but time wise did not fit.
In any case the vicar signing the wedding certicate is G.H. Stock ( who does not seem to be the vicar on the photo) and I would have thought the vicar who signed the marraige certificate would have been the one in the photograph .
Again many thanks for your input.
Wonder if there is an organisation that would keep some photographic records of edwardian vicars in the York area.

Regards Philip Hanley]

Offline Bee

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 28 July 14 20:41 BST (UK) »

"Wonder if there is an organisation that would keep some photographic records of edwardian vicars in the York area."

A bit of a long shot, but maybe try the Borthwick Institute in York.

Bee
 :)
Dinsdale, Ellis, Gee, Goldsmith,Green,Hawks,Holmes,  Lacey, Longhorn, Pickersgill, Quantrill,Tuthill, Tuttle & Walker,  in E & W Yorks, Lincs, Norfolk & Suffolk. Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hanleyp

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 July 14 01:26 BST (UK) »

"Wonder if there is an organisation that would keep some photographic records of edwardian vicars in the York area."

A bit of a long shot, but maybe try the Borthwick Institute in York.

Bee
 :)
[Thanks Bee,  Good idea -have sent of email to Borthwick . Think I am  searching for a needle in a haystack ----but you never know . If they cant help they might know of an organisation that might
Regards  Philip hanley]