Author Topic: James & Agnes Diamond  (Read 36337 times)

Offline svsurf02

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James & Agnes Diamond
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 21:36 BST (UK) »
yes, definitely will keep in touch. Will try to give you a run-down of what I know, family news old and new, and so on.   At the moment am a little flat out with work and work, but will sort something out soon. In the meanwhile don't hesitate to get ask whatever.... and I'm really glad I happened to check the website out this week- I had almost forgotten about it and was actually chasing random Diamond name searches out of boredom, while stuck in an office the other day!!

Offline dolphin53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 30 March 11 22:29 BST (UK) »
Hi again svsurf02, thanks for your reply, it really did tickle the tastebuds today, I tried getting more info on my ggg grandfather, William born 1829, (brother of Dr James), he appears to have been a bit of a jack the lad. He partnered a Jessie Rodgers and fathered a son, yet another William my gg grandfather, but I cannot find when he went to Australia, incidently leaving Jessie behind, would you happen to have any more info on that at all, I'd appreciate your help if you had. If and when you are a bit easier at work let me know and I'll give you my email address if you want and perhaps from there could possibly arrange a chat?
Kind regards,
Dolphin53.

Offline kitty92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 02 April 11 03:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Dolphin and Surf,
Wow this is so fantastic! I have been watching your posts with interest, while dealing with family medical emergencies with both husband and daughter hospitalized a week apart but both now doing well,  preventing my contribution.
It appears both our families were settling in Australia at similar times, while my
    *William...having married in Sydney in 1860 was settling in NZ, his siblings
    *Alexander.......desc in Newcastle today whom I am in touch with
    *Margaret...... (m. William Elliot in Sydney 1854) was establishing  in NSW
    *Sarah.... whilst probably started out in Sydney with husband  Richard Russell went to Brisbane, desc I am also in touch with.
I wonder if they knew each other?  I am very interested in your Dr William who supposedly came to Auckland where I live and will follow up on as soon as I am able but it may not be for a while as we are going to be on holiday from the 13th  for a month, therefore Im rather bogged down with preparations for that. will do my best to get on to it when I get back.
regards
Kitty

Offline kitty92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 02 April 11 03:58 BST (UK) »
Doplhin and Surf,
Further to my posting:
*Sarah, Richard and 2 sons  and her sister *Margaret (19years)  arrived in Sydney on the          Walmer Castle 1848,
*William and *Alexander were both mariners, before settling down. NOt sure of Alexanders ship but my William was on the Prince Alfred.
Kitty

Offline dolphin53

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 02 April 11 18:25 BST (UK) »
Hi Kitty,
Just a quick note for you. you say in an earlier post of a Margaret McGaw, if she was from Kirkmaiden and you have any follow ups on that line I may just have come across some very old photos from about 1900. There were loads of McGaw's in that area at that time though. Any good? Let me know.
Regards.
Dolphin 53

Offline svsurf02

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 03 April 11 12:10 BST (UK) »
 Hi Dolphin and Kitty,  Glad to hear from you Kitty, I am fascinated by your Aussie/NZ connections to John Diamond b. Kirkmaiden 1800. I have very little info about his descendants. From NSW index records I was aware of the Sydney marriage William Diamond and Johanna in 1860 but I hadn't chased it up as a possible family/ Wigtownshire link. Regarding Dr. William Diamond, (son of Dr. James)born Howwood, Renfrewshire, 1864; he was in Victoria, Australia late 1890s, then Sydenham, ChristChurch (not Auckland as I originally said) where he seems to have died in 1918 ( BDM index, plus marked D/C on the medical reg. in 1919).   
To Dolphin 53, re. William b. 1829, I cannot find a arrival date into Australia, and didn't suspect him as an immigrant, HOWEVER, I acted on a hunch- there is a 1891 NSW index record for the death of William Diamond, parents listed as "William and Elizabeth". I ordered this and its says  "William Diamond of Wigtownshire, Scotland.... aged 61yrs ...in the colonies approx. 7 years;  Occupation, Stonemason; parents William & Elizabeth Diamond". The informant was his "brother John Diamond of Ferris St, Annandale, Sydney" (Im sure the same who immigrated in 1857). Unlike brother John who was subsidised William probably arrived as a free and fee paying settler, which meant his travel records were very basic/poor. It also says he had 2 former wifes!!! a Helen Cairns & Ann Smart. Unfortunately no children are listed although I know of  one, James, from the 1861 Scottish Census, when residing at Stranraer with William Snr & Eliz. Hope info. useful         

Offline kitty92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 03 April 11 23:44 BST (UK) »
Hi again Dolphin and Surf,
I have photographs of William, Sarah and Alexander as well as their mother Margaret (MCGAW), (unfortunately none of John Diamond), which I will scan and send when I get a chance, you may see a family resemblance.
Johanna Thomson (b. 1836 Glasgow...father James transported 1836, Moffatt) and William Diamond m. 1860,  moving to NZ they lived in Nelson  for about 6 years then moved to Rockville Collingwood on the banks of the Aorere river in Golden Bay where William mined his goldminers claim, they had 9 children (including one of Johannas from a previous marriage in Sydney). William and Johanna were both literate and could read and write. Good on the Scots! They both died in old age Rockville. A record of both their lives have  published.
Would love to see any photos either of you have. Must go as I have much to do.
regards
Kitty 

Offline kitty92

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 06 April 11 01:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Doplphin and Surf,
2 photos attached Margaret (McGaw) Diamond wife of John c. 1800
and Sarah dau of Margaret c. 1824
Kitty