Author Topic: Small Holdings Esheils - Peebles  (Read 11037 times)

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Small Holdings Esheils - Peebles
« on: Thursday 14 June 12 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys,

My father was born at No.2 Small Holding, Esheils, Peebles, now these "Small Holdings" were gifted to soldiers from the Great War around 1922 or so.
Has anyone any idea what the criteria may have been to be given one of these, or could you possibly point me in the right direction please.

Thanks,

Swally

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Small Holdings Esheils - Peebles
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 June 12 10:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Swally

Have a look here http://hansard.millbanksystems.com/acts/s

This includes the various Acts brought in by the Government including the Sailors' and Soldiers' (Gifts for Land Settlement) Act (various sections and additions listed there). Just click on the links for further details.

A much more readable explanation here on Google Books, (link shrunk) http://shrinkalink.com/55016

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 July 12 17:18 BST (UK) »
Monica,

Sorry I hadn't replied earlier, thanks.
What I need is probably Town Council records from Peebles where they broke up a large estate into "Small Holdings", my Granda managed to get one of these but I am sure there must have been a criteria that would have to be met before your were allowed one.
I have been told that you needed to be an officer in the army to qualify, my granda's service record was burned so I have no idea if he made that rank or not.
Ta,

Swally

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 July 12 17:58 BST (UK) »
Monica,

Thanks for the reply, I have been on holiday so sorry.
What I think I need is the Town Council Records where they must have minuted what the criteria would have been for eligability for a "Small Holding".  I have heard that they needed to be of officer rank within the army to be eligable.  My Granda had one of these "Small Holding" but as his service history record has been sadly burned I don't know if he acheived this rank.  One of my uncles says that he was an officer, but it surely he was a non-commissioned officer if at all.

Thanks,

Swally

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Swally,

I have looked up the Valuation Rolls and the first record appears in the Valuation Roll Whitsunday 1921 - Whitsunday 1922.   At that time a Robert Allan was living there and is described as a small holder.  His yearly rent or value was £29.  The proprietor for all the smallholdings is listed as Board of Agriculture for Scotland, per The Secretary, 29 St. Andrew Square, Edinburgh.   Prior to that the previous Valuation Rolls lists the land at Eshiels as belonging to Sir Duncan Edwyn Hay.

In History of Peeblesshire by John Buchan it is written "The later Act was passed mainly for the benefit of the ex-Service men, of whom considerable numbers wished to settle on the land.   Hence much greater funds were placed at the disposal of the Board of Agriculture for settling ex-soldiers..........after negotiations with the proprietor of the Hayston  estate, (this is Sir Duncan Edwyn Hay) acquired the farms of Eshiels and Soonhope.    The lie of the land and the varying tastes and capabilities of the applicants determined the distribution of the land.   About 14 holdings of different sizes were formed, some containing as much as 50 or 60 acres, and others only a few acres.

The settlement was much criticised at the outset by those who were more concerned at seeing a large farm broken up to form the subject of a curious and doubtful experiment than mindful of the claims of the soldiers;  the houses and steadings too were built at a time when building materials were dear.
"

I hope that this all helps.   I have just picked out what I thought was useful.   There is no mention of criteria though, sorry cannot help you there.

Brina :)

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 July 12 21:17 BST (UK) »
Brina,

That is fab, especially the Valuation Rolls.
Is there a chance that you could have a look at the Valuation roll again and find out his last entry for Esheils, I believe it would be around 1926.  If you could find out how many acres he was allocated that would be brill.  If it wasn't too much to ask could you possibly take a digital picture of his entries and send them to me?  I stay in Wishaw.

Ta,

Swally

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 July 12 19:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Swally,

I will not be able to look at the Valuation Rolls again until next week but I have got  a copy of the first one I mentioned.   I can also provide you with the information from the book I quoted from.   Can you please contact me (personal message) with your details and I will post them to you.

Brina :)

Offline poppysmum

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Granpa Wilson and Cousin Dod - Peebles Cemetery
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 August 12 11:03 BST (UK) »
Hi
Its very interesting, my Great Granpa had one of the Eshiels houses, my Granny was brought up there, can't remember what number they were.  I have a few photos they took there, including a couple with neighbours in them.
caroline
Whytes, Durness; Bulloch, lanarkshire; Wilson, lanarkshire; Wilson, peebleshire; Rickelton, Glasgow; Harris, ayrshire and glasgow ; Steele, ayrshire; Duffy, leith Smith, Leith;  Stewart, ayrshire and Glasgow

Offline Swally

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 August 12 11:11 BST (UK) »
Caroline,

Thanks for the reply, my Granda stayed at number 2 from around 1922 - 1929 I would be interested in seeing the pictures. I have a picture of number 2 as it is today

Ta,

Swally