Author Topic: BEACOM/BACOM/BACON - Enniskillen  (Read 22075 times)

Offline kooky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: BEACOM/BACOM/BACON - Enniskillen
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 February 11 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Have just found this thread.
A few weeks ago I discovered that my maternal gt gr mother Matilda Fisher nee Jones, was in the 1861 census in M/c with her parents Thomas and Mary, and several siblings including sister Ellen, who was witness at her marriage to George Fisher in 1863 in M/c. The Jones family were all born Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh.
Thomas died between 1861 and 1871, Mary was a widow in the 1871 and 1881 censuses with her married dau. and family.
Armed with this info I entered the 1881 details into Lost Cousins and immediately had contact from April, who has contributed earlier to this thread.
I heard that Mary died in 1882. I await the death cert.
Mary's mother was Sarah Beacom nee Brown, wife of James Beacom a revenue officer. I have noted the earlier info in this post, but would like to know:-
1. James Beacom's parents
2. Date of James's death
3. Sarah Brown's parents
4. Details of Sarah and James's marriage

I have Sarah's death cert.
As Sarah was my 3xgt gr mother I am interested in any info.
Kooky
Clulo - Staffs.,Warwickshire, Lancs.1780 -1950
Fisher- Nafferton,Hull, Manchester.1770-1840-1950
Kane&McNeill,Forkhill, Armagh and Glasgow,Bray Dublin.1850s -1920
Boshell and Dowzard- Dublin, 1840s -1911
Kay/Bremner Edinburgh 1800 - 1841.Kay Staffs.& Lancs1842 -1901
Kay - Newcastle on Tyne 1780-1861
Swindell, Marple & Manchester 1900->
Makinson, M/c & Prestwich 1870 ->
Beacom/Jones - Enniskillen 1780 ->

Offline kooky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 21 March 11 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Have now received Mary's death cert. 1886.
Kooky
Clulo - Staffs.,Warwickshire, Lancs.1780 -1950
Fisher- Nafferton,Hull, Manchester.1770-1840-1950
Kane&McNeill,Forkhill, Armagh and Glasgow,Bray Dublin.1850s -1920
Boshell and Dowzard- Dublin, 1840s -1911
Kay/Bremner Edinburgh 1800 - 1841.Kay Staffs.& Lancs1842 -1901
Kay - Newcastle on Tyne 1780-1861
Swindell, Marple & Manchester 1900->
Makinson, M/c & Prestwich 1870 ->
Beacom/Jones - Enniskillen 1780 ->

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 26 March 11 12:12 GMT (UK) »
The Sydney Morning Herald Tuesday 14th May 1861;

Death;
On the 11th instant, Mrs. Jane Hasleon, dtr., of James Beacom, late

6th Enniskillen Dragoons.
-------------
Jack

Offline ginny44

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 14 August 11 16:02 BST (UK) »
Hi

My husbands 2nd great  grandmother was Sarah Beacom and her father was called Harry Beacom.  Sarah Beacom married Joseph Mayers, and they were from the Enniskillen, County Fermanagh area.

Kind regards

Offline Gordfred

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 09 February 14 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi, My Ancesters are also Beacom, from Lisbellaw only 5 miles from Enniskillen and i see that one of your entries is ?????1870, Father James, Mother Elizabeth Rutledge. That child is called Elizabeth born 3 July 1870, There are Beacoms of Irvinestown, Enniskillen  and  Lisbellaw has two clans of beacoms which i am having trouble joining together. Hope this helps

Offline Brisgirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 07 August 14 06:57 BST (UK) »
My great-great-grandmother was Isabella Beacom, she was baptised 20 April 1832 , daughter of John Beacom and Rebecca Mitchell. She was from Kilskeery, Co. Tyrone but her parents were married in Magheracross Parish Church, Ballinamallard, Co. Fermanagh.. about 7 km from Enniskillen. Isabella had five siblings.. Mary (b1830), Edward (b1834), Andrew (b1836), Jane (b1839), Margaret (b1842). I believe John's parents were Edward and Isabella Beacom.

Isabella and her sisters Jane and Margaret migrated to Australia in 1864. I think Margaret may have returned to Ireland as she's recorded as marrying John King in Co. Tyrone in 1874.

As Kilskeery, Co. Tyrone borders on Fermanagh, I think my Beacom ancestors were from both counties.
Hewson (Dublin); Beacom (Co. Tyrone), Beer (Devon); Perry (Warwickshire); Tanner (Wiltshire); Mostyn Owen (Shropshire & Wales); Coles (Somerset & London); Fox (Cornwall); Peirce (Monmouth); Tolson (Yorkshire); Haigh (Yorkshire); Lunn (Yorkshire); Neill (Co. Down); Davies (Shropshire); Dryden (Roxburgh); McVane (Roxburgh); Lillico (Roxburgh); Symington (Roxburgh); Dickson (Roxburgh).

Offline kennyB9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 13 May 15 19:41 BST (UK) »
I am trying to track my ancestry of the Beacom branch that immigrated to New Brunswick Canada in about 1850. My great grandfather was George Beacom born around 1820 and he married Sarah Irvine in 1851. George's father was Henry and he married Jane Armstrong. Henry, Jane, George, Robert, Catherine Jane, Edward, Susannah and William all immigrated together from Drumboarty, Co. Fermanagh to Carleton County N.B. Their name recorded in Canada was Beckim in error I believe. Robert relocated to Essex/Leamington area of Ontario in about 1866-7 and he reverted to the Beacom name. Edward also used the Beacom name as shown on a headstone for him and two of his children in a cemetery in Bloomfield N.B. All the rest of the family used the Beckim spelling meaning everyone with that surname in Canada and the US are my relatives. I am not 100% sure if George and Robert where children of Henry and Jane or possibly nephews. I am unable to find birth or marriage records for George?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 14 May 15 09:30 BST (UK) »
1820 is long before the start of civil registration in Ireland so you'd need to search for church records to see if George's baptism was recorded- not all records from that period survive and of those that do not all are online. However, early church records often give little detail- sometimes just date of baptism, child's name and father's name.

You haven't said where in Ireland your Beacoms were from or when they went to New Brunswick but civil registration of marriages started in 1845 for non-Catholic ones and 1864 onwards for all marriages. So, if they did marry in Ireland and unless it was a Catholic ceremony there should be a record of the marriage which will give you important details such as residence of bride and groom at time of marriage and their fathers' names and occupations.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline kennyB9

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 May 15 16:41 BST (UK) »
Thank you for your response. The Beacom branch I am tracing came from Drumboarty, Co. Fermanagh according to the information I have. I have checked the Drumkeeran church records and found who I think are my great great grandparents Henry and Jane. They were married Nov. 28, 1826. According to the birth records for the same church I have been able to find several of their children but not George or Robert who it seems were born before the date of marriage?. It is possible Henry was married twice and lost his first wife at an early age but even so I can find no birth listing for George anywhere. George did not marry Sarah Irvine until he came to Canada but unfortunately the government building that housed the records for Carelton County N.B. burned to the ground and all records were lost. Since the same names are repeated so often it makes it doubly difficult to nail down the chain of my ancestors.