Author Topic: Seaton's in Blair Atholl Perthshire 1800 and beyond  (Read 35908 times)

Offline hollysmum

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Seaton's in Blair Atholl Perthshire 1800 and beyond
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 20 September 12 08:18 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to draw up some sort of tree for Ian, but he's so vague!  It must be a man thing!  I lose count of how many aunties and uncles he had, to be honest, and of course, I never met any of his family, not even Donald, because I didn't meet him until 2005, and his mother had died in 2001, his father in the 1970s, and all the other aunts, uncles and cousins, except for Donny, who died in 2007, but Ian no longer lives in Scotland, he's been "down south" since the early 1980s.  He has to be in the mood to reminisce about his childhood on the farm, and then I can write down names!

Offline kechniemac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 20 September 12 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am interested in knowing a little more of one particular Seaton family from this area. I am looking for more details on the marriage and background of Peter Seaton who married Patricia Matheson. Patricia was the daughter of Catherine McNee and Peter Matheson and would have lived in the Aberfeldy area. They had at least two daughters c1930's.

Keith

Offline kechniemac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 20 September 12 22:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,
I am related to the Matheson family through Anne Matheson the youngest daughter of William Matheson & Christina McMartin. One Anne's older brother's was Peter Matheson who was married to Catherine McNee, two of Peter's daughter's married Seaton brothers, Patricia married Peter Stewart Seaton and Elizabeth married George Unwin Seaton.

Donald

Offline BIMINI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi from Australia

I am coming into this Rootschat a little way down the line but I am sure that my ancestry is from this area.
My 4th great grandmother was Euphemia Seaton who married David Stewart (apparently a physician) in 1795. I believe that they had 2 children who were twins, Christian and Malcolm were born the same year.Malcolm , my 3rd great grandfather married in London in 1824 Catherine Bromley and came to Australia in 1834 with 5 children and  where his "flock"flourished to this day.
The purpose of this post is to try and go backwards from Euphemia and David to see how far my Scottish heritage is.

Regards

Bimini
Hogan from Quin County Clare, Molony's from O'Briens Bridge County Clare, Donnelly's from Down and McCrumb from Armagh all arriving in Australia in the 1800's

Offline Cambron

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 19:56 BST (UK) »
There is a family tree on Ancestry which gives the marriage of David and Euphemia as Blair Atholl 1785.
However the Borenich website backed up by SP and Family Search gives this marriage as David and Elspeth Setton.He is from Blair Atholl and she is from Moulin.The marriage is also registered in Moulin.Their twins Malcolum and Christian were born 1786.
David is reported to be the son of Malcolm Stewart and Barbara Young born Blair Atholl in 1752.He is reported to have died in Blair Atholl aged 55.
What links David to the Malcolm in London?
Difficult to believe that he was/became a Physician but lived on a farm in Blair Atholl when he married ???

Offline Cambron

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 21:12 BST (UK) »
As a postscript it may be noted that a fully annotated tree on Familytreemaker shows Malcolm's death certificate to be the source of the 'physician' reference for David.
The linkage to the 1785 marriage was made because this gives the only David/Malcolm combination in the Scottish Registers for the period..
Not exactly convincing......

Offline Throth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 23:15 BST (UK) »
Do we know who submitted the fully annotated tree on Familytreemaker?

Some of the family trees for descendants of Malcolm Stewart and Barbara Young are unreliable.

At the same time it is worth noting that the forenames of Malcolm and David are both unusual amongst the Blair Atholl Stewarts at this time.

Perhaps the Perth Archives would have something on Strathgroy (where Malcolm came from) in the 'Atholl Experience' volume 24.

Isis (borenich.co.uk)

Offline BIMINI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 23:34 BST (UK) »

I am somewhat confused by the initial replies to my post as the only information I have is what I have been able to obtain from resources in Australia.
I know that Malcolm and family arrived 20/11/1834 on the vessel "James"(reported as per the Sydney Herald), they resided in Hosking Place (in the main CBD of Sydney), he was an upholsterer and died in 1857 from "old age & debility".
The information from the NSW death certificate, with information given by his 29 year old son is:
Place of birth:  Blair Athol (sic), Perthshire Scotland
Father: David Stewart
Mother: Euphemia Seaton
Married: London aged 36 years
etc. etc.
I know that he was interred in the Independent Burial Ground which was the first cemetery in Australia
In view of this, I am not advancing that his father was a physician who lived on a farm, did not know where he lived hence my enquiry to this site and I would presume that the David referred to was Malcolm's father.
Look forward to any information which someone may provide.

Bimini
Hogan from Quin County Clare, Molony's from O'Briens Bridge County Clare, Donnelly's from Down and McCrumb from Armagh all arriving in Australia in the 1800's

Offline BIMINI

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 02:29 BST (UK) »
Sorry
Forgot to include that also from the death certificate, David Stewart's occupation is given as "Physician"

Bimini