Author Topic: Christian Stewart, Little Dunkeld, Perth  (Read 52377 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Christian Stewart, Little Dunkeld, Perth
« Reply #90 on: Thursday 28 November 13 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Bermadoobob...welcome to RootsChat  :)

Look forward to your contributions!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bermadoobob

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: Thursday 03 April 14 22:11 BST (UK) »
Evening Monica

A question! I posted a query on the site in November 2013 and was hoping for a reply but to no avail. I am a new member and I have to make three postings prior to making a PM which I quite understand, however it looks as if all contributors have gone dormant! Is there anyway that they can be given a "nudge" in the direction of these pages to review them and hopefully start the ball rolling again!

I was brought up in Dunkeld and still have family locally who are also interested in the family history and would possibly be able to investigate any queries.

Appreciate this is a long shot but thought it was worth asking!

Kind regards

Bermadoobob (aka Grant)       :)
McIntyre, Spearing, Stewart Laird, Munro

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: Friday 04 April 14 09:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Grant

People receive an email when a new post is made on a thread they have contributed to. The email notification goes to the email account that they have registered on RootsChat. Over time though a number of things can happen. For example, people can change email providers and not be receiving notifications. Sometimes also in error, people can click on the wrong bit and disable notifications etc.....

To find out the last time someone was on line, just click on their user name on the l/h side. Up comes the user's profile page and on this you can tell the last time that user was active on RC.

Good luck with your research  :)

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bermadoobob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: Friday 04 April 14 17:48 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your info Monica - all makes sense now!

Kind regards

Grant

Offline Bermadoobob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: Monday 13 October 14 20:34 BST (UK) »
Evening all - wonder if anybody had picked up my previous posting from 23 Nov '13 regarding the Grizzel/Grace Stewart thread. Would be interested in a chat about the Stewarts, my 94 year old uncle ( Helen Ann Lairds son) has some distant memories of an Auntie Bell who lived above old Blair, he used to stay with occasionally - would like to dig a bit further with him to see if he has any further memories.

Kind regards

Bermadoobob

Offline Hinc_Orior

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: Thursday 04 June 15 08:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Grant,

I've been researching my ancestral Stewart family around Dalguise for a while now. I believe William (husband of Grace McIntosh) is listed on the Stewart Atholl census in 1817, along with 2 of his brothers. They are recorded as descending from the Cairney branch, which would make them related in some way to the owners of the Dalguise estate. I wonder, would your Uncle have knowledge of his family being related to the historical Lairds of Dalguise? It must go back quite a few generations, but I'm just wondering if a story might have been passed down?

many thanks,
Jason.

Offline Bermadoobob

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: Thursday 04 June 15 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Jason

Nice to hear from you, unfortunately my uncle died two months ago being the last of nine brothers, there is a sister still alive although I doubt if she knows anything. In the days after the funeral I spent some time around the Dalguise/Logierait area trying to locate the farm /cottage known as Glenalbert and eventually found it and had a chat with the owners daughter. Unfortunately she did  not know much of its history re the Stewarts, as I am sure you are aware the Stewarts were well established in the area up as far as Blair Atholl across to the Aberfeldy area and down to Caputh - also where mention is made of Dunkeld in records it seems to be the Diocese of Dunkeld they are referring to not the village of Dunkeld. There seems to have been two branches of the Stewarts one either side of the Tay valley and I think this is where a lot of the problems arise with common names. I have a cousin who lives nearby who has recently become interested in FH and hopefully we will be able to dig a bit deeper as time permits.

Sorry I could not answer your question however will update this thread as and when more information becomes available.

Kind regards

Grant

Offline jaiya

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: Friday 26 February 16 01:40 GMT (UK) »
HI Bermadoobob
I just received an email from Roots dated 26.2.2016 alerting me of your posting here.
I was in contact with Suzie Stewart who originally posted  on here re the Stewarts we were communicating on email, but I have lost contact with her. maybe she got a new email address. Suzie is the great x3 or 4 granddaughter of Grizell Stewarts (Nee McIntosh) this Grizell McIntosh is the sister of my great x3 grandfather Robert McIntosh of Glenalbert Little Dunkeld.

Now regarding the Stewarts of Little Dunkeld the main line there is the Stewarts of Dalgusie.        (  of Dalgusie House )   there is a lot of documentation available on the net about this line.  they are also married in to the Stewarts of Kinnard with is just close by near Logeriate.

There is also the Stewarts of Ladywell in Little Dunkeld  just next to Glenalbert this line is from James Stewart 1st of Ladywell who was beheaded in about 1650.

& there is also the Stewarts of Bellichan  close by who are also married in on the female line line to the Stewarts of Dalgusie.

Regarding the photo you posted I think I have seen that pic before also. possible connected with Susie  Stewart mentioned above the great x 3 or 4th grand daughter of Grisell Stewart (nee McIntosh)  I am not sure if it was from her.
ALSO  If Suzie Stewart happens to see this post   Suzie I am Denis Johnson of Australia aka Jaiya  on this forum.  Please get in contact with me again  as I have a lot more information to relay to you.

& Bermadoobob  I would suggest looking at the Mcfarlane & Clan Genealogies website  it covers many of these families .
                                                               Thanks Denis P Johnson Aka Jaiya

Offline smcb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: Tuesday 08 March 16 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Hellloooo Denis!  ;D

...such a long time since we last spoke, I will PM you!

Suzie x
Campbell:  Lanarkshire
Gibb: Lanarkshire
Mcgregor: Perthshire
Robertson: Perthshire
Stewart:  Perthshire
Melville: Lanarkshire and Kirkcaldy
Burrell: Kinghorn and Edinburgh