Author Topic: Help doing research in Greenock  (Read 7227 times)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help doing research in Greenock
« Reply #9 on: Friday 07 February 14 20:44 GMT (UK) »
I take it that you've  been through the online archive of the Greenock Telegraph, also at the Watt Library.

Gushel.

Offline elaine447

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 February 14 01:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi dagny
Elizabeth Gillespie married William Brown 1876 Greenock
that should give you some info about Elizabeth
Elaine
Given,McCorkindale,Kennaway.Wylie,Cameron,Mooney,McCloskey,Black,
McCafferty,Gillespie,Jamieson,Keith,Adam,Quigley,Ainslie,
McHugh,Malone,Fisher,Burns,Gallacher,Nelson,Dunleavy,Brannan,
Docherty,McCluskey,Fitzpatrick,Barclay,Steele,King,Allison

Offline markharrison1973

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 11 February 14 14:43 GMT (UK) »
Chaplain,
If you have hit a brick wall I would recommend that you book a slot at the Mitchell Library in Glasgow for the day. You can view all the records that you want and it only costs about 50p per copy when you print them. Its a productive day out and you may find a few things that you didn't already know. Its about £15 per person. Heres the link http://www.glasgow.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=3214

PS just noticed that this original post is 9 years old. :-)
GREENOCK, SCOTLAND.  Blue, Boyle, Brown, Byrne, Fitzpatrick, Harrison, Scully, Sweeney.
OLD KILPATRICK / DUNTOCHER, SCOTLAND. Brown, Angus, Martin.
CO ANTRIM. N.IRELAND Harrison, Marshall, Hamilton, Bamford.
DUN LAOGHAIRE / DUBLIN, IRELAND. Breslin, Byrne.
ROSCOMMON, IRELAND. Breslin, Brislan, Kilalea.

Offline Chaplain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 28 June 14 17:48 BST (UK) »
While the post may be nine years old, I still come back every once in a while to see if someone has some new resources.  I had not heard of the Watts Library "Intimations" so will be checking that out.  I have made several trips to Scotland since the original post and I now live in Essex, England having moved there from Canada just over a year ago. Each December when we go to St.Andrews' for Hogmanay, I make a trip to Scotland's People for a day's research which is opens a few more doors but frustratingly still cannot find the birth of Elizabeth's sister, Mary.  I have her marriage certificate (having seen it up close and live) but the information on it is like that on Elizabeth's - not really correct when it comes to her age so still on the hunt.  My other brick wall is that Elizabeth's husband, William Brown, was supposedly born in Jamaica and with a name like that, even having hints as to his parents' names (which are common as well) I have resigned myself to being able to go back any further.  But every once in a while I try again.  Possibly as more comes on-line, the wall will come down.  Thanks for your suggestions and links.  I have appreciated them.   :)

Brown, Gillespie, McKellar, McDougall, McLachlan, Jeffries, Harbord, Gray,
Renfrewshire, Lanarkshire, Clackmananshire, Ireland, Norfolk

Offline Mrsmcnamee1

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 09 August 14 02:15 BST (UK) »
Hi don't no if its any use but i have a mclaughlin born in Ireland but living in greenock and marring a mr green in my family tree if thats any good - i no the post has been open a long time but just new and thought i would let you know