Author Topic: Fultons in Kilbarchan  (Read 29916 times)

Offline Joex6

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fultons in Kilbarchan
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 06 August 11 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi, Mary,  My name is Anne but there were too many users already of that name so Joe seemed  quite suitable. Your husband and I are still on the same branch of the family  Joseph and Margaret from Largs had a son also Joseph who married Mary Ann Ralston. Their son Robert was my Grandad.Do you know where in Ireland Joseph came from originally.  Anne

Offline weemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 06 August 11 15:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Anne

my husband is descended from Margaret Fulton ( Joseph/Margaret daughter) who married Peter McPhail my hubby's gt gt grandparents -  I have a photo of Margaret somewhere

I didn't know about Joseph -  unable to locate birth cert for Elizabeth or John, who I think were born before  Joseph/margaret married.  I have Helen/Ellen and Margaret's birth cert and marriage cert for Joseph/margaret

Mary
Beaton Bethune, Campbell -  ROC
Mitchell Leslie - Aberdeen
Mackintosh, Anderson (Provost) -  Inverness
Boyle, Mckechnie, McPhail, Fulton  - Ireland, Greenock, Kilbrachan
Pearce, Curnoe/Curnow -  Cornwall
Patterson, Robson, Sloan, Campbell, Dixon, Wilson, Ritson, Hedley, Vipond, Coulson -  South Shields, Sunderland, Northumberland, Cumberland
Kitcheham/Kitchingham, Gage -  Kent

Offline weemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 06 August 11 15:56 BST (UK) »
Have just downloaded my Joseph's death cert thanks to Anne  -  Joseph parents were James Fulton and Elizabeth McNeil or MacNeil -  so I guess we are all connected in some way
Patterson, Robson, Sloan, Campbell, Dixon, Wilson, Ritson, Hedley, Vipond, Coulson -  South Shields, Sunderland, Northumberland, Cumberland

Offline weemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 07 August 11 10:46 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know if James Fulton married to Elizabeth McNeil has been married twice according to 1841 and 1851 census he is married toRoss  Fulton -  ancestry doesn't have the originals only the transcribed version so unsure if the above name has been transcribed wrong.

ALSO - found this on the IGI would need to see the original as well.

IGI Individual Record   FamilySearch™ International Genealogical Index v5.0
    British Isles
Search Results  | Download | Print

JOHN FULTON   
Pedigree
    Male       

Event(s):
   Birth:    
15 AUG 1829     Kilbarchan, Renfrew, Scotland
   Christening:
   Death:
   Burial:

Parents:
    Father:    HUGH OR JOSEPH FULTON   
Family
    Mother:    MARY MCNIEL

Offline tommcaleer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 18 August 11 16:14 BST (UK) »
Mary,
     When James Fulton born 1834 registered his father's death, (James Fulton born 1812, Ireland ) in 1877, Glasgow he put his grandmother's name down as unknown McNeil.  So I reckon the McNeils married the Fultons and we are related somewhere along the line.                                                                                              
                                                                                                  Maureen McAleer.

Offline weemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 18 August 11 18:26 BST (UK) »
 Thanks Maureen -  it gets confusing  at times doesn't it -  in my own tree  I have a death cert mother is listed as margaret gage and father listed as unknown Curnow -  Fact mother is Emma Gage and father is Wm Henry Curnow pearce

Offline akasazbfh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 06 April 12 22:56 BST (UK) »
Hi - I am researching Pattisons and have picked up James Fulton and Elizabeth Pattison.  I note the queries about James Fulton's origins in Ireland.  I have the couple in Ewing Street in the 1841, Steeple Street in 1851 and back to Ewing Street in the 1861. However, they appear again in the 1871 in Ewing Street, where James' birthplace is given as Co Antrim Ireland.

Not sure how much this helps but I thought I would mention it.

Regards
Stuart
My areas of special interest include the Adam and Dick families who emigrated to NSW in the mid-1800s, branching into the names of Paine, Cadell, Pye and Smith.

My current interest area is that of the descendants of James Lyle (1744) and
Elizabeth Wilson (1751 - 1844) of Renfrewshire, and any other descendants of James Adam (1720) and Jane Lyle (1725) from Kilbarchan. Also a number of Mackay and McKillop names from Caithness and Inverness-shire including the Miller family from Caithness.

Offline tommcaleer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 09 April 12 16:02 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much for this information.  Is there by any chance an area of Co Antrim that they are from?
                                          Maureen.

Offline akasazbfh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 09 April 12 20:31 BST (UK) »
I noted this birthplace from the FindmyPast transcription.  You could try the original image at Scotlandspeople, although I would doubt there would be anything else.  Consider it a bonus to get more than Ireland as place of birth !

However, on a more general point, then James' parents, James Fulton and Unknown McNeill could very likely be the James and Ross (Rose) Fulton also living in Ewing Street in 1841 and were related to the Hugh Fulton and Mary McNeill, also living in Ewing Street, ie they could be brothers Fulton marrying sisters McNeill, and migrating to Renfrewshire about 1815/1820.   

Hugh Fulton and Mary McNeill were both born Ireland, probably about 1790 and 1800 respectively - they had six boys all born in Renfrewshire. Hugh and Mary were both deceased before 1858, and I suspect, before 1851.

However, in the absence of any other information to go on, then a search for this family in Co Antrim could turn something up.  I have no experience of searching for Irish records around the early 1800's but I have heard it can be difficult. Good luck.

Regards
Stuart
My areas of special interest include the Adam and Dick families who emigrated to NSW in the mid-1800s, branching into the names of Paine, Cadell, Pye and Smith.

My current interest area is that of the descendants of James Lyle (1744) and
Elizabeth Wilson (1751 - 1844) of Renfrewshire, and any other descendants of James Adam (1720) and Jane Lyle (1725) from Kilbarchan. Also a number of Mackay and McKillop names from Caithness and Inverness-shire including the Miller family from Caithness.