Author Topic: Census Look-up Please CHARLES POLLOCK  (Read 6962 times)

Offline Doire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Census Look-up Please CHARLES POLLOCK
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 November 14 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The reason for believing Sara Pollock Walton was in Scotland at that time is the info on her first daughter Mary E' marriage cert c1898/99 which stated she came from Scotland and so did her parents.

Doire

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 23 November 14 14:27 GMT (UK) »
However, with Mary E, you have her details of her birth in 1864 in Ireland - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FRHP-SHJ  :-\  Have you been able to find Mary E and her American family in the censuses from 1900 to see whether what she said on every census up to her death?

Just going to add some of the old posts here so that we can hopefully work through them and try and link the info, if that is OK:

2010 - www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=497848.0 ... start of your searches for Sarah M

2011 - www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=513894.0 ... trying to link to Scotland

2012 - www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=623848.0 ... in Macosquin, Derry, trying to link to possible sister for Sarah M

2012 - www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=613764.0 ...in the US

Doire, you have had such a long old complicated search for Sarah Margaret's origins  :-\ Still not there though are you. So many clues in there, but so far they do not all connect do they.

Great discovery of Sarah M's son going off to the US in 1923 to his uncle, letting you connect back to a likely sister Mary.

Have to admit, I am not yet understanding where the surname WALTON comes in. I wouldn't necessarily say that Sarah Pollock married a Walton. She could have been illegitimate and then swapped around surnames for example. Can't see any further clues from 1911 for her (from the other post, as included by aghadowey here www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Coleraine/Bushmills_Road/589336 ) 1901 still has not been found I understand?

Robert James McSheffrey gave 10 James Street, Coleraine when he returned from the US in 1925.

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 November 14 15:10 GMT (UK) »
Just again as a summary here. From Shellyesq's info re Mary E. This was the possible/likely marriage she found for her in 1899:

6/07/1899 CH. OF THE ASCENSION KILFOILE WILLIAM F. (27) & WALTON MARY (20) WILL & ELIZABETH BUCKLEY KILFOILE/ DAVID KING & SARAH POLLOCK WALTON
http://files.usgwarchives.net/ny/rensselaer/churches/episcopal/tmarriage.txt

Census entries seem to be:

1900: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MSL5-W4F
1910: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M5SN-5XP
1920: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MVSQ-D66

No children it seems from the marriage?

In 1900, she gives her birth year as Feb 1868, which would fit well with Feb 1864 from what you have already for her.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Doire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 November 14 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps a check of Scotlands' 1871/1881/1891 censes for Sarah Pollock Walton, Mary E (daughter) and possibly Sarah Margaret (daughter) in the first two censes. Mary's father David King never married but went to Scotland and was there until at least 1915 so perhaps that is why Mary was able to say her parents were from Scotland. ????
Another tit bit, S M (McSheffrey) says in 1911 N Ireland censes that she was born in Co Londonderry.

Thanks everyone
Doire.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 23 November 14 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Doire,
Can I ask something?
Sarah Margaret Pollock married James McSheffrey in 1885.

How do you know that she was 15yrs old at this time?
Did you work this back from the 1911 census or is there another record?
Was her father's name on her marriage cert?
If so, what was his occupation?

Offline Doire

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 23 November 14 23:40 GMT (UK) »
I have been to the church in Macosquin where the marriage took place and I have seen the marriage register. On it it gave her age as 15. There was no fathers' name given. Sarah Margaret was widowed in 1914 and re-married in 1923. In this marriage cert she names her father as CHARLES. Just this past week I have received a copy of the death of the Charles I think is her father. He died in Paisley in 1895. Perhaps this is why she felt she could now name him in 1923.

D.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 23 November 14 23:51 GMT (UK) »
I doubt very much the man named Charles Pollock, who died in Paisley in 1895 is her father.

The 1911 census states she was born in Co Derry, yet this Charles was known to be married and living in Paisley before her birth.

I can find no trace of Sarah, her sister Mary or their mother in Scotland on any census return.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 23 November 14 23:55 GMT (UK) »
It is not at all uncommon for illegitimate children to make up a father's name for the marriage certificate.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 24 November 14 16:10 GMT (UK) »
I have to agree with Aghadowey on this.
Look at the info that you have.
The birth of Mary E King shows her mother's name as Sarah Pollock.
You have already stated that Mary was Illegitimate therefore I would expect that Pollock was her maiden name.
Sarah Pollock seems to have had a 2nd illegitimate child, born circa 1870 named Sarah M Pollock.
I doubt very much if the child's father was also a Pollock.

I fully expect that Sarah M gave a false name for a father on her 2nd marriage in 1923.

I have more than one marriage in my own tree where an illegitimate child provided the name of her maternal grandfather, claiming him as her father

I can find no trace of any marriage between a Sara(h) Pollock and  a Mr Walton, either in Scotland or Ireland