Author Topic: Knockninny [Derrylin] Catholic registers  (Read 21729 times)

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Knockninny [Derrylin] Catholic registers
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 July 10 19:44 BST (UK) »
Did Ulster Ancestry search the Derrylin/Knockninny Catholic registers at PRONI?
PRONI MIC/1D/78 Births & Marriages 1855-1870

There are 2 townlands called Drumrush in the area -
Drumrush barony of Lower Loughtee parish of Drumlane county Cavan
Drumrush barony of Lurg parish of Drumkeeran county Fermanagh

But there is a Drumlish in the parish of Kinawley.

The Kinawley Catholic registers are also in PRONI MIC/1D/79  and baptisms date from 1835-1881

Offline johal52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 July 10 05:34 BST (UK) »
Yes he looked at some years for Drumlane, looking for John Reilly. But couldn't find John junior's baptism although he found different children for a John Reilly with different wives. He said it was mixed up. And he did look for Mary Ellen Gilleece in Kinawley  (Swanlinbar). I don't know why he didn't look the church register up in Knockninny?

Valerie

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 July 10 08:29 BST (UK) »
What was John Reilly's full address on the marriage certificate of 1882?

Offline johal52

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 July 10 14:46 BST (UK) »
It just says: 19 February 1882, marriage solemnized at the Roman Catholic Chapel of Knockninny in the Registrar's District of Derrylin in the Union of Lisnaskea, Fermanagh, John Reilly, age 25, bachelor, farmer, Drumrush, father's name John Reilly [alive], farmer.
married
Mary Gilleece, age 27, spinster, housewife, Aghyoule [sic], father's name James Gilleece [dead], a farmer.

Again, thank you so much for taking an interest!

Valerie

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 23 July 10 15:20 BST (UK) »
I am wondering if Drumrush should be Drumlish which is in Kinawley parish? That means you would need to check both the Knockninny/Derrylin & Kinawley Catholic registers.

I think UlsterAncestry wasted their time in searching the Drumlane Catholic registers in Co Cavan.

Griffith's valuation [c. 1862] Drumlish, Kinawley, Co Fermanagh has a number of Reilly households:
Thomas, Charles, Terence and Edward Reilly are all recorded in Drumlish [4 of the 8 families recorded in Drumlish were Reillys!].

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 20 December 10 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Drumlish and possible variants in Kinawley; what about Drumroosk? which could I suppose appear as Drumrusk

Offline teemore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 January 14 20:38 GMT (UK) »
johnal52- Aghyoule, situated on the slopes of Slieve Rushen was a  townland with a large number of people in the mid 1800 . Incidentally the landlord for the area was a Major Collins from Platin, Duleek, Co. Meath.  I am aware of one family of McManus's in Aghyoule who's mother was Gilleece and the house was her home place. Aghyoule is in the parish of Knockninny, but Knockninny was formerly included in the parish of Tomregan. During the first half of the 18th century it was detached from Tomregan and became a separate ecclesiastical unit.  The parish church is now Derrylin originally built in 1797, but in pre-Reformation times there were churches in the townlands of Callowhill and Knockategal both along the Derrylin to Ballyconnell road. The ruins of Callowhill are still very visible with trees and surrounded by a wall (along the road).  There are two RC churches in the parish (Derrylin and Teemore built in 1893 with stone from Aghyoule). For postal service the townland is now in two, 'Aghyoule' and 'The Borrow'.

Kinawley parish includes Swanlinbar in Co. Cavan. The diocese of Kilmore covers virtually all of County Cavan, half of County Leitrim, three parishes in County Fermanagh and half a parish in Counties Sligo and Meath.

Drumrush is off the Yellow Road which runs parallel to the Woodford Canal toward Aghlane bridge and is in the parish of Drumlane, Staghall (the church was built in1846 in the townland of Kilconny)
Belturbet is in the parish of Annagh.  I hope having the townland in the correct parish will help.

Also there were many families of Reilly's/O'Reilly's in Aghyoule in the late 1890's and some of them originated from Drumlane/Miltown area of West Cavan

Offline LindeL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 04 January 14 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Interested to read about a McManus family in Aghayoule;  what date roughly was the Gilleece marriage?my husband has a McManus ancestor from the Burra. I don't know if the McManus/ Gilleece marriage is in his family. I have the birth around 1871 of his great grandmother Anne or Honora McManus in the Burra; she was daughter of James McManus but I have no mother's name for her.

Hope to hear more from you, my husband's mother was from Teemore, so we are interested in the families from there

LindeL

Offline teemore

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 05 January 14 17:39 GMT (UK) »
LindeL-  I will check that out later but if you had relatives relating to McManus in the mid 1800's then it could have possibly been the McManus that I'm related to! The McManus in the Burrow spelt different way (Borough, burrow) originally the townland of Aghyoule-possibly divided for church reasons.  The McManus of the borough side which I knew had 3 sons (Patrick, Hugh and James all born around the 1900-1910 and none of them married).  Their father (I will check his name) married a woman by the name of McTeague .The McTeague woman was also a sister of my grandfather's (James Reilly) wife on my fathers side of family.  Those McTeague womens father ( Patrick McTeague married to Bridget, were aged 70 and 84 years respectively in 1911) Patrick originated from what is now the Corlough/Corlaeehan area of West Cavan (previously in the Bawnboy/Templeport region).  That McManus family had other relations going back to the late 1800's and early 1900's who ended up in Arva/Colinstown/ Boston.  I hope this summary does not confuse without precise dates and names