Author Topic: Access to an article in Shields Daily Gazette 12 June 1904?  (Read 593 times)

Offline Juneys1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Access to an article in Shields Daily Gazette 12 June 1904?
« on: Sunday 29 December 13 18:14 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone has means to access an article that may be regarding my great grandfather John Bradshaw. The article was in Shields Daily Gazette 12 June 1904, page 3, 54 words and the extract I have seen reads, "John Bradshaw  hit a representative of Maxim and Co who had gone from Barrow to Portsmouth with the new..."
Also, a friend previously, was able to access another article about JB, in what I believe was the South Shields Gazette, by actually looking at records at the library there. I don't want to push my luck with another request to him, but have found a reference to an article in the Shields Daily Gazette which may be a fuller report of the same court case. It's on page 3, 428 words and dated 10 March 1904,  the same date as the article my friend found, and regarding the same situation, where JB caused his family to be committed to workhouse.
If anyone can access these articles and copy to me I would be enormously grateful.    Juney
Grange, Atkinson Bradshaw, especially South Shields area or Prudhoe.
Smith , yes I know! (Samuel, his son Keith and his family) North London or Essex

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Access to an article in Shields Daily Gazette 12 June 1904?
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 29 December 13 22:06 GMT (UK) »
hi juney
shields daily gazette  Thursday 10 march 1904
at south shields john bradshaw [ 40 ] ships cook , living at 59 Walpole st , was charged with deserting his wife and children whereby they became chargeable to the south shields union , mr j w love superintendent relieving officer , stated that about 12 months ago the accused left his ship in new York . in june of last year the wife and children became chargeable to the union and they had cost the union about £8 . when he visited the house the defendants wife told him she was expecting her husband arriving from new York and it transpired he was in bed at the time . defendant denied deserting his wife , he was however willing to pay the union £8 providing he got sufficient time  . the bench said they had no option but to commit him to prison for one month .

shields daily gazette Tuesday 12 june 1902.
yesterday morning mr john bradshaw [ 50 ] representative of the firm Vickers, maxim and co who had gone from barrow to Portsmouth with the new battleship Alfred was returning to the north by the midlands express , leaving st pancras at midnight and when near Leicester he fell out of the carriage and was killed . it is not known how he came to fall .
shields daily gazette Tuesday 12 june 1902

regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline Juneys1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Access to an article in Shields Daily Gazette 12 June 1904?
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 29 December 13 23:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much Trevor. The first article is actually the same one I already have, although it appeared to differ. Thanks for clearing that up for me. This is my shady relative!  The second one is now ruled out, as he is older and therefore is not my JB.
I do appreciate your help very much. Regards, Juney
Grange, Atkinson Bradshaw, especially South Shields area or Prudhoe.
Smith , yes I know! (Samuel, his son Keith and his family) North London or Essex