Author Topic: woodside  (Read 4750 times)

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
woodside
« on: Thursday 12 April 12 20:05 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any knowledge of Woodside a hamlet a few hundred yards from Cleughbrae and Mouswald, thanks stoop.

Offline mickdickson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: woodside
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 19 July 12 03:57 BST (UK) »
Other than my Dicksons were the Smiths at Woodside from possibly the 18th century or even earlier up to probaby 1938 when Jacob Dickson died, not much.  Thomas Dickson (3G Grandfather, 1790-1869) and family was listed at Woodside in the 1841 Census as a Farmer then in the 1851 one as Blacksmith.  The Smith then passed to my 2G Grandfather Jacob Dickson (1823-1896) and then to the various sons, possibly ending as above with Jacob (1872-1938).  My Great Grandfather was Thomas (1856-1932) also a Blacksmith but he moved round a bit. Some Griersons lived there as well, Richard Grierson (1814-1897) married Janet Dickson (1814-1903), sister to my 2GGF Jacob.  Not a complete story but am working from memory as I remote from my research at the moment.

Haven't been there yet, but hope to make the pilgrimage in 2015 or earlier if I can.
Dumfries -Campbell, Dickson, Glendinning, Grierson, Irving, Jardine, Wells, also Beattie, Brown, Buckham, Charters, Dalrymple, Fell, Ferguson, Fraser, Gibson, Graham, Hutchison, Leivers, Nichol, Mckenzie, Nicholson, Smith, White, McLean
Kirkcudbright - Dickson, Broun/Brown, Shennan
Glasgow-Dickson, Neilson, Thomson, Fleming, Mackenzie, Dennison
Edinburgh- Dickson, Buckham
Ayrshire-McIlwrick, McMurray, Gray, Findlay
Limerick - Shea / O'Shea, Carroll
Kerry - Egan
Sussex - Towner

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 19 July 12 09:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks Mick your response has described in some detail Woodside, when I next visit Mouswald and Cleughbrae I will take a walk along to Woodside. stoop

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 July 12 15:34 BST (UK) »
hi stoop,
              have you looked the horse tax book in scotlands places there is sumone called alex haining paying horse tax for 1798 at woodside mousewald

Offline stoop

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 July 12 15:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much Harrywragg, will do . stoop.

Offline mickdickson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 21 July 12 22:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks as well harrywragg,

I found my 4G Grandfather James Campbell of Oxgang paid the duty on 2 horses in Torthorwald.  A few of other names came up as well in Mouswald for me anyway that I have on my tree or my research into the Dickson families of the area, David Dickson of Broadgate and Mr Dickson, min as well as Jonah Nicholson of Howthat.  I assume Mr Dickson could be Rev. Jacob Dickson.  The also Thomas Dickson of Mouswald and James Dickson of there ( I am assuming 'there' is ditto back then), Thomas or James maybe the village blacksmith, although is probably that James is the James Dickson, Mason or Builder, from the MI transcriptions.

As to Woodside, there was at least a Mill, possibly a Smithy and a Joiner there in 1841.  Thomas Dickson (3GGF) was noted as a Farmer at 'Woodside' and subsequently as Blacksmith in other census with wife Mary and 5 children and servant Mary McDoual.  I have seen info telling of a Smithy at Woodside in the late 18th run by Dicksons.  At 'Woodside 2' John Fell was the Joiner, his wife being Thomas's sister, Jane, and a Jacob Dickson, son of David Dickson & Janet Beattie I believe was one of his apprentices along with a John Mundle.  Thomas's son John was also in the Joiners shop as a Joiner Journeyman. The 'Woodside Mill' is run by David Edgar and his wife Janet and 2 children with servant Janet Irving.  A Janet Forsyth resided in Woodside, as did Mary Palmer, these two women are in 'Woodside 1'. For a total of 20 people in the Hamlet.

In 1851, the population has grown to 43, with 7 identified residences/business. The Dicksons in the Smithy, Fell in Joinery, Edgars in the Mill with associated servants and apprentices.  A Jardine family, Alexander and Betty are now the Farmers of 60 Acres. James Craven and family is a Wood Forester. There are two other new families, Learman and Robson noted as Labourer and Farm Servant respectively as well.

I could go on as I have the all the census but you guys would already have that info.

Cheers
Dumfries -Campbell, Dickson, Glendinning, Grierson, Irving, Jardine, Wells, also Beattie, Brown, Buckham, Charters, Dalrymple, Fell, Ferguson, Fraser, Gibson, Graham, Hutchison, Leivers, Nichol, Mckenzie, Nicholson, Smith, White, McLean
Kirkcudbright - Dickson, Broun/Brown, Shennan
Glasgow-Dickson, Neilson, Thomson, Fleming, Mackenzie, Dennison
Edinburgh- Dickson, Buckham
Ayrshire-McIlwrick, McMurray, Gray, Findlay
Limerick - Shea / O'Shea, Carroll
Kerry - Egan
Sussex - Towner

Offline harrywrag

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 22 July 12 14:41 BST (UK) »
your welcome stoop and mickdickson,
                                                             mickdickson was looking thru old newspapers to see if anything came up for the mill and found this think it will tie in with the edgars at the mill   from the wrexham advitiser & denbigshire,flintshire,shropshire,cheshire & north wales register dated saturday april 23rd 1870,   jackson - edgar  on the 18th inst. at the parish church wrexham by the rev. w davies mr john edward jackson  of rho-styllen to charlotte ellen daughter of the late charles edgar woodside dumfries scotland. i camn send you copy if this ties in with yours

cheers

harrywrag

Offline Trixie Smith

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 21 November 14 13:22 GMT (UK) »
Harry
I am helping a friend of mine with her family tree and found that her great grandmother is Charlotte Edgar married to John Edward Jackson.
Can you please, please provide me with any more info on Edgars... or the the jacksons. I have no idea who her parents are as nothing comes up in Scotland for her
best wishes
Trixie
South Africa