Author Topic: FREEMAN of Johnshaven & Gourdon  (Read 11005 times)

Offline Ellie89

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
FREEMAN of Johnshaven & Gourdon
« on: Thursday 08 April 10 18:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I'm looking for any information on my family who came from Johnshaven, Kinkardineshire. At the moment I know that my grandad Alexander Freeman born in 1927 and lived in Johnshaven. His mum and dad lived below the Masons hall in Johnshaven and I assume he lived there too. Although his mum died young and he was then sent along with a brother to Aberlour Orphanage at a young age. His other two sisters who were slightly older were kept with the father as they were thought to be helpful around the house, although a year later this became too much and they were sent off to another orphanage. At the age of around 14 my grandad was requested out of the orphanage by his granny (I think) so that he could make money which she took from him. He soon ran away, and after many jobs etc..lived around the Gourdon area.

My dad has also got memories of going to Johnshaven on holidays to visit family during the summer etc when he was younger. This would have been around the 60s.

I'm sure there are probably still Freemans in Johnshaven and it would be nice to know a bit more about my family.

Also it might be good for you to know that I am only 21 years old, and having gone to Johnshaven recently I am now desperate to find out a bit more :)

Thanks for any information, I appreciate it.
Ellie xx

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: FREEMAN of Johnshaven & Gourdon
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 April 10 11:54 BST (UK) »
hi Ellie

welcome to rootschat  :)

are you trying to get further back on your family ?
just to let you know that rootschat has a policy of not revealing information
about anyone who may still be living
if you are trying to get further back do you know the names of your grandads
parents ?

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Piglet01

• Email address not working please contact support
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 April 10 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hello Ellie

The best thing I suggest you do, as you live locally, if you're trying to find general info on your family, is to read the info at the attached link

http://www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/nmsruntime/saveasdialog.asp?lID=3881&sID=1904

Aberdeen is one of the best places on the planet to do FH research.  1 hour spent in the search room in Schoolhill,  Aberdeen will get your family back to 1855 - and have time to spare.  Go well prepared with as much info as you have already and they'll do the rest.

I live locally.  Use the room a couple of time in the past.  If you go there, they'll be able to give you info up to date - which you won't be able to get online.  The £15.00 will be the best you will ever spend on Family History.

Regards,   Steve  :)

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 11 April 10 20:16 BST (UK) »
I have replied to your message to my FREEMAN thread on this list.  From reading the above I now realise that I actually knew your grandfather Alexander.  Like me he was known in the family as Sandy.  He was the second son of David & Williamina FREEMAN.  Your grandfather's eldest brother was David and there were two younger sisters Mary and Margaret [aka Nancy] all were first cousins because my mother Mary was the youngest sister of your great grandfather.  I was puzzled by your reference elsewhere to Aberlour, but having looked at my research data I now understand that.  Williamina Taylor WYLLIE, your great grandmother died in 1932 and that must have been when your grandfather was placed in Aberlour.
The photo left is your great great grandfather Walter FREEMAN.
I have also offered you my email address via the personal message facility.
If email me and exchange yours (not here it isn't allowed) I can send you a hgher resolution copy.

Sandy
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie
in Kinneff, Bervie, Benholm & St. Cyrus Parishes

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 12 April 10 15:32 BST (UK) »
Moderator comment - chart now corrected and updated. Please see reply #12
The chart below shows the data I have on the Johnshaven FREEMAN Family.
As I said in my personal message to you and in the FREEMAN thread I started last year, I have lots more tracing this Freeman family line back to the late 1600s
All you have said fits and I'm certain this is the information you seek.
Your grandad is only 11 years older than me, I have fond memories of his brother and sisters.
I do hope he is still with your Aberdeenshire Family and that you can pass on my very best wishes.
Adam : Criggie : Davidson : Freeman : Jeamie : Lownie : Mackie : Pittendreigh : Ritchie

Offline Ellie89

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 12 April 10 16:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your posts :)

They have all been really helpful in my research into my family connections!

Ellie x

Offline Skidd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 June 13 03:50 BST (UK) »
I have replied to your message to my FREEMAN thread on this list.  From reading the above I now realise that I actually knew your grandfather Alexander.  Like me he was known in the family as Sandy.  He was the second son of David & Williamina FREEMAN.  Your grandfather's eldest brother was David and there were two younger sisters Mary and Margaret [aka Nancy] all were first cousins because my mother Mary was the youngest sister of your great grandfather.  I was puzzled by your reference elsewhere to Aberlour, but having looked at my research data I now understand that.  Williamina Taylor WYLLIE, your great grandmother died in 1932 and that must have been when your grandfather was placed in Aberlour.
The photo left is your great great grandfather Walter FREEMAN.
I have also offered you my email address via the personal message facility.
If email me and exchange yours (not here it isn't allowed) I can send you a hgher resolution copy.

Sandy

Well it is a small world isn't it?

The same Walter FREEMAN (b. 1867) is also my GGF.  I'm madly scribbling this new information that also fits into my tree.

Thanks everyone!

Offline Skidd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 June 13 01:08 BST (UK) »
Sandy,

Further to your post where you attached a copy of the descendants of Walter (b. 1867) & Isabella (b. 1877) are you sure that Elizabeth (b. 1910) and Walter (b. 1911) are shown correctly?

My records show that the above mentioned Walter and Isabella had a son named Walter in 1901.  Seems odd they would have another named Walter again in 1911.

There was a Walter Freeman born in Gourdon in 1911 son of David Ritchie Freeman and Elizabeth Milne, perhaps that is whom you were thinking of?  The same David and Elizabeth also had a daughter in 1910 named Elizabeth Jane.

I hope that I'm not looking at the wrong data.

Cheers Andrew

Offline Johnner Kid

• RootsChat Senior
  • Picture Post 1942
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 June 13 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Andrew,
Thanks for your PM with e-mail address.  I'll contact you direct with the photo you asked for.
Best Regards,
Sy