Author Topic: William Campbell b c1822  (Read 11126 times)

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Campbell b c1822
« Reply #9 on: Monday 14 November 11 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know when the existing Nigg Parish Church and churchyard was opened and if a transcription of the monumental inscriptions there exists somewhere. I thought I should check if there are any Campbells buried there.
Regards
Colin
Brown: Campbell: Castle: Catto: Ferguson: Forbes: Greig: Mackie: Rae: Reid: Riddel: Wallace: Wright

Offline colincam

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Campbell b c1822
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 January 13 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Since my previous post last year, I have discovered that William Campbell was in fact baptised in Wallsend Parish on 5 Aug 1823. His parents were John and Eleanor Campbell who lived in Willington at the time. John was a shoemaker by trade but eventually became a miner. Sadly his wife Eleanor died in May 1825 shortly after giving birth to a second son named James who only survived a couple months. I think John's parents were John Campbell and Jane Marley who were married in Wallsend on 6 Feb 1780 . However I am not sure who Eleanor's parents were or what her maiden name was although I have found a marriage between a John Campbell and an Eleanor Blyth that took place in Morpeth on 21 May 1815.
The main remaining question for me is how and why William moved from the above beginnings in north-east of England to become a farmer in the north-east of Scotland & Kincardineshire. Also where was he at the time of the 1841 Census.
Can anyone help me answer these questions?
Brown: Campbell: Castle: Catto: Ferguson: Forbes: Greig: Mackie: Rae: Reid: Riddel: Wallace: Wright