Author Topic: Percy Platt - Illegitimate/Adopted Bolton 1898  (Read 16837 times)

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Percy Platt - Illegitimate/Adopted Bolton 1898
« Reply #81 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 11:46 BST (UK) »
A few other things to check:

There is a Platt/Knowles marriage in 1939 in Bolton which might be of interest could be brother to Thomas Percy + "Doris"?

Searching 1911 with "relationship to head" = "grandson", and resident in Bolton there are a James and John Platt who turn up (not sure if actually in same household).  There's a James listed as "nephew" elsewhere as well.

Have we discounted the 1914 Margaret A Platt marriage in Bolton (to Henry Cooke)?  Can't see any kids in the area to them...  Also the 1900 marriage of Margaret Platt in Bolton to Samuel Hutchison (http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk shows both of these as register office marriages which unfortunately means there's no way of accessing them except by getting the certificate).

I certainly can't find the Hutchinsons in 1901 - anybody else less blind? (I don't think he's the single Samuel in Bolton - think that's probably a different fellow who married in 1901 unless he separated from Margaret very quickly).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Waterloo24

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 12:47 BST (UK) »
A few other things to check:

There is a Platt/Knowles marriage in 1939 in Bolton which might be of interest could be brother to Thomas Percy + "Doris"?

Searching 1911 with "relationship to head" = "grandson", and resident in Bolton there are a James and John Platt who turn up (not sure if actually in same household).  There's a James listed as "nephew" elsewhere as well.

Have we discounted the 1914 Margaret A Platt marriage in Bolton (to Henry Cooke)?  Can't see any kids in the area to them...  Also the 1900 marriage of Margaret Platt in Bolton to Samuel Hutchison (http://www.lancashirebmd.org.uk shows both of these as register office marriages which unfortunately means there's no way of accessing them except by getting the certificate).

I certainly can't find the Hutchinsons in 1901 - anybody else less blind? (I don't think he's the single Samuel in Bolton - think that's probably a different fellow who married in 1901 unless he separated from Margaret very quickly).

Thank you for that.

I strongly suspect that may be John and Doris .. will I need to order the certificate (I am in Australia but can get my brother to order it). I did do a quick search to see if they were in any published trees but can't see them.

Margaret s many potential marriages are exhausting .. but they are 2 new ones for me to try  ::)

I am not sure how to do the census search the way you advised .. I have searched all 1911 census' on Ancestry and cant see them .. is there another site I should try?

Thanks again for your help x

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 12:52 BST (UK) »
You can order certificates from www.gro.gov.uk. Takes a little longer for delivery if it has to be sent out of the country, but works fine.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 12:57 BST (UK) »
thegenealogist.co.uk enables searching on relationship to the head of the house by using the keyword field to enter the relationship.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Waterloo24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 12:57 BST (UK) »
You can order certificates from www.gro.gov.uk. Takes a little longer for delivery if it has to be sent out of the country, but works fine.

Thank you .. I shall do that tomorrow .. hopefully Margaret is on there  :D

Offline Waterloo24

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 12:58 BST (UK) »
thegenealogist.co.uk enables searching on relationship to the head of the house by using the keyword field to enter the relationship.

Perfect .. thank you x

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 15:32 BST (UK) »

Ancestry allows you to select relationship to head as well  :)
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=2352

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 17:45 BST (UK) »
I just use http://www.1911census.co.uk/

It's a method I sometimes use when circumstances suggest we might be looking for children who are living with persons other than their birth parents.
keywords might include:
adopted
grandson/grandchild
nephew
nurse/foster child
lodger/boarder
stepson/stepchild

Offline iolaus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 19:54 BST (UK) »
You say that his mother was visited in a lunatic asylum in the 1950s, it's possible she was admitted before 1901 (hence why Percy isn't with his mother) - could also link with the illigimate nature as some women were admitted to asylums for having children out of wedlock

In Lancaster Lunatic Asylum (which has other people from Bolton area) there is a M A P - single female (aged 40 - which may be the down point, how sure are you of her date of birth), unknown place of birth a cotton operator