Author Topic: (*Completed*)Philp/Philip/Smith/Henderson confusion.  (Read 2842 times)

Offline Stuart273

• RootsChat Member
  • 2016 Panto - Upgraded to Yorkshire Yokel.
    • View Profile
(*Completed*)Philp/Philip/Smith/Henderson confusion.
« on: Tuesday 27 August 13 14:16 BST (UK) »
Hi all.
Sorry to post another topic but this one has me stumped.

Betsy Philp (born 24.2.1869) of William Philp and Isabella (nee Smith). She becomes.....
Betsy Philip (1901 census) still living with William and Isabella (now Philip). She is still....
Betsy Philip (marries John Tofts Henderson 13.02.1903). However when her daughter dies....
Betsy Henderson (Smith) is on the death certificate.

I can find no record of her death on scotlandspeople under any of the above surnames in a wide variety of years (1935 - 1970 have been searched in various increments). My dad has told me in the past that she died around 1948 in St Boswells and is buried in an unmarked grave at Benrig cemetery, but I can find no evidence to prove that. He also taked of her being called Betsy Phillips! Her husband (John Tofts) died in 1965.

Any suggestions as to how to solve this mystery are most welcome.
Cheers
Stuart
General:
Scotland - Henderson, Rutherford, Tofts, Green, Philp/Philip, Cook
England/Wales - Helps, Jones, Wright, Petheram (Axbridge and surrounding areas, Somerset)
Canada: Rutherford, Green
New Zealand: Rutherford

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
Re: Philp/Philip/Smith/Henderson confusion.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Stuart ,

How about -
Elizabeth Smith Henderson(other surname Philip) death 1949 St Boswells Roxburgh , born c1871.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Stuart273

• RootsChat Member
  • 2016 Panto - Upgraded to Yorkshire Yokel.
    • View Profile
Re: Philp/Philip/Smith/Henderson confusion.
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 August 13 19:37 BST (UK) »
Ev, thanks for that suggestion.

It is certainly possible, although it's the first time I've come across her being referred to as Elizabeth as all her other official documentation has her as Betsy, including her birth certificate.

I'll check it out and let you know.

Stuart

edit: Bingo, it is indeed her. Many thanks :)
General:
Scotland - Henderson, Rutherford, Tofts, Green, Philp/Philip, Cook
England/Wales - Helps, Jones, Wright, Petheram (Axbridge and surrounding areas, Somerset)
Canada: Rutherford, Green
New Zealand: Rutherford