Author Topic: George RICHARDSON & Elizabeth BURTON  (Read 7865 times)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George RICHARDSON & Elizabeth BURTON
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 22 October 13 20:29 BST (UK) »
That's a good find alan.

So the Elizabeth Richardson I listed from the 1841 Census is not in fact Elizabeth Haliburton/ Burton but must be George's second wife Elizabeth Henry. And Margaret Richardson was the only child of George's left in Scotland if poor William died as a child and Helen at aged 21. Have looked for Helen on 1841 Census and wonder if she was 'in service'? ??? There are a couple of Helen/ Ellen Richardsons but couldn't say for certain which one is this Helen.

Looby  :)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 22 October 13 20:36 BST (UK) »
Found George's second marriage to Elizabeth Henry at Wilton Roxburgh on 1st May 1825 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XYW8-RQ9

Not unusual to remarry quickly especially when the Father was left with little children ( youngest son John was only one year old when his mum died :( ).  And they lose William 2 months after the wedding :(

Looby :)

Offline MissyJ137

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 22 October 13 23:58 BST (UK) »
Wow Alan, what a great find and very useful information. The addition of a second marriage for George hadn't shown up in any of the other information that I'd found so far.

Thanks for the marriage details Looby. I think you might be correct about Helen going into service and sons John and Henry must also have been working elsewhere in 1841. There are no immigration records that exist with their names, but we assume it was early-mid 1850's when they arrived in Australia, as that's when their marriages are recorded.

Henry's daughter (my 2x great grandmother) was only 2 years old when her mother died and 13 when he died so we don't have any family stories that have been passed down from this branch of the family. I'm very grateful for everyone's help  :)

MissyJ
Jenkins, Pyke, Percy, Peck, Thomas, Davies, Hyne