Author Topic: Elders in St Lambert Quebec  (Read 11995 times)

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Elders in St Lambert Quebec
« Reply #9 on: Friday 08 July 11 22:56 BST (UK) »
I believe I have found an obituary for a son of James Elder and Muriel Gallaher in the Toronto Star. It refers to a brother and sister by name as well as an uncle who is still living. Because he was still living at the date of the obituary, I have removed his name from one of my posts and used just his initials. Since it is a recent obituary (2009) I believe it is against RC policy to post it so I'll send you the link via PM. You may want to check Canada 411 to see if you can find an address for any of the living relatives to see if they can help sort things: http://www.canada411.ca/

Since it appears some of the family settled in the Toronto area, you may want to try the Pages of the Past website which is the archives of the Toronto Star:
http://pagesofthepast.ca
It is a pay site but the rates are pretty low and you can purchase as little as an hour of time.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 09 July 11 05:49 BST (UK) »
Zena is actually a real name on its own, although of course it may be short for something else. My next-door neighbour's name was Zena.

Cheers,
China
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt
Williams~Dolwyddelan

King~Bedfordshire~Hull
Jenkins~Somerset
Sellers~Hull

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 July 11 08:45 BST (UK) »
Zena is actually a real name on its own, although of course it may be short for something else. My next-door neighbour's name was Zena.

On both the 1955 incoming and outgoing UK passenger lists she was listed as Alexina.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline greenvalley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 09 July 11 09:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you again for all the help Jacqui and Chinakay.

I wonder if perhaps we should remove full names and or dates for all the children of James and Zena, just in case there are still some living persons? I can't do it, but would be grateful if you could.

I myself go through great lengths to protect my own identity as well as that of family members, especially ones who are unaware of my research.

Cheers

Greenvalley
ANDERSON: Moray & Jamaica
ELDER: Stirlingshire, Perthshire & Glasgow
WILSON: Glenisla, Alyth & Dundee
GRANT & ATKINSON:Northumberland
HARRIS: Dron and Glasgow
MATSON: Glasgow and Belfast
OLIVER, HARDY & GIBSON: Ireland, Antrim Belfast
TODD: England and Jamaica
McGRIGOR, McILCHONNEL: Perthshire

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 December 11 15:44 GMT (UK) »
Greenvalley,

I have sent you a personal message. Hopefully, we can go through information on both families, and possibly make a connection.

My family of Elder's were also from Glasgow. One of my mother's uncle's, was a merchant marine, and travelled between Scotland and Canada, and Scotland and the U.S. We were told, that we had family in Canada as well as the U.S., although I have been unable so far to make a connection with any of my Elder family that may have travelled here before.

My immediate family came over to Canada in 1952, and settled in the Toronto area.

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline elder.st.lambert

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 11 November 14 18:44 GMT (UK) »
I am the second son of James Alexander. My grandfather's name was James. He was originally from Glasgow, and was an insurance adjuster for Canadian National Steamships when he retired. "Zena" (Alexina)was his second wife. James and Zena visited Scotland in 1955, sailing from Montreal.

regards

Offline elder.st.lambert

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 24 November 14 17:10 GMT (UK) »
I know a good deal about the Elders in St Lambert. Please post.

Offline greenvalley

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 May 15 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi there

Haven't been on Rootschat for a long time and was really excited to see your reply, I never got the message because I changed my email address and forgot to change it.

Your grandfather James Elder was the brother of my husband's grandfather David Elder.

Nice to meet you and I would love to exchange some details and photographs.

Greenvally
ANDERSON: Moray & Jamaica
ELDER: Stirlingshire, Perthshire & Glasgow
WILSON: Glenisla, Alyth & Dundee
GRANT & ATKINSON:Northumberland
HARRIS: Dron and Glasgow
MATSON: Glasgow and Belfast
OLIVER, HARDY & GIBSON: Ireland, Antrim Belfast
TODD: England and Jamaica
McGRIGOR, McILCHONNEL: Perthshire

Offline greenvalley

• RootsChat Veteran