Author Topic: Evan Roberts of Corwen  (Read 10105 times)

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Evan Roberts of Corwen
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 September 13 17:10 BST (UK) »

Hill Street, Corwen

Maria Roberts Head Married age 24
Maria M Roberts Dau age 1

both born Corwen

RG13 Piece 5247 Folio 71 Page 39     

Offline Michael Tench

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 September 13 08:53 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for all your excellent assistance and I am still absorbing the detail and most of it fits well with the family.
One question on the marriage of Robert Roberts to Margaret (possibly Jones) and the wedding in 1860 in Bala - now as my Margaret is listed in the census of 1871 with Evan and others as being born in LLanfor ? then where is that and how far from Bala is it?
I also had a look at the 1861 census but could not find them there at all in Llanycil I think it was so how can I find that via Ancestry?
Many thanks for all your help.
Michael

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 September 13 09:10 BST (UK) »
You will see on this map that Llanfor is some two or tree miles from Bala;
http://www.rootschat.com/links/0w1l/

Regards
William Russell Jones
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 September 13 09:18 BST (UK) »
As far as the 1861 census is concerned,when the box for the 1861 Census comes up,don't enter anything names or years or places just enter the numbers at the bottom of the box,for piece,folio then page.You will then see the three page list of names.

Regards
William Russell Jones
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline johnalwynjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 13:45 BST (UK) »
Hi
This is taken from Yr Adsain the local paper, 2 May 1939.
As briefly reported in our last issue (copy missing at NLW) the funeral took place of on Tuesday last at Corwen Parish Churchyard of Mr Evan Roberts, Pleasant View, whose death occurred on Sunday, April 23. The service at the house was taken by Rev W.J. Hamer, B.A. curate and in the Church and the graveside by the Rector, the Rev W. Morris Williams, M.A. Wreaths were sent as follows:- from daughter Maggie, Eric & Charlotte, Shrewsbury; Jennie & George, Rose, Evelyn May & Emlyn; his sister Margaret, Mossley Hill, Liverpool; nephew Will & family, Tynddol Bach; Lucy & family Wrexham; Nellie Ben Ella & Bernard; Maggie, Harold, Em & Jim, Cefn Mawr; Mr & Mrs John Owen, Cefn Mawr.

The rest seem to be of friends & neighbours.
Hope you find that useful.

Offline johnalwynjones

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 13:56 BST (UK) »
Hi again
I've cross referenced this with the Bala newspaper Y Seren and there is a good Obit there (29 April)
in the Welsh language.
 Briefly,
Sunday, Mr Evan Roberts, aged 70 of Pleasant View, Corwen passed away. He was the eldest son of the late Mr & Mrs Robert Roberts, Tynyfawnog, Llangwm, and his sister is Mrs W. Williams 63 High St, Bala. The departed fought in the Boer War and was proud of the medals he gained. He was present at the famous battle of Tugela.
It further mentions that he was survived by his daughter and 2 brothers.
Regards
Alwyn

Offline Michael Tench

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 12 September 13 16:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Alwyn,
Many thanks - daughter Charlotte mentioned in the tributes is absolutely over the moon.
Absolutely brilliant and thank you so much for both reports.
Kind regards for your assistance.
Michael Tench

Offline Michael Tench

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 12 September 13 16:45 BST (UK) »
Sorry - its Granddaughter Charlotte and not daughter
Michael

Offline Michael Tench

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 15 September 13 08:51 BST (UK) »
Hello Alwyn,
I wonder if I may be cheeky and ask for a little more help please. You have been so kind in finding the obituary's of Evan Roberts and translating them for me. I see the village of LLangwm, where his parents are listed is close to Corwen and it has a very successful Male Voice Choir.
I have a problem with tracking his parents who were Robert Roberts (Labourer) and I believe Margaret ?? but I do not her surname as there are so many of marriages for Robert to Margarets before Evan's birth. Evan Roberts married Maria Jones on 19th November 1898 in the parish church of Corwen and I believe Maria Roberts died in June Qtr of 1918 (i think 18th June) and I wonder if there is an obituary for her which might list family members. The witnesses to the wedding were Edward Roberts and Winnie Jones and maybe this Edward may be Evan's brother but there is no Edward listed in his obituary?
I have only found Evan with his parents in 1871 and two sisters Anne and Margaret but the obituaries translated mention 1 sister and 2 brothers. His mother Margaret is shown aged 35 as is father Robert but later census show a Robert and Margaret with her being around 10 years younger and never with Anne or Margaret and so it is very tough to track the correct family. Did Robert marry twice to two different Margaret's ?
I would be grateful for any help if you can see an obituary for Maria in 1918
Charlotte believes that Evan married again after Maria's death but nothing is known of this as his daughter went to live away and married too.
I will be most grateful if you can help.
Regards
Michael