Author Topic: Pitham's of Wexford Town  (Read 26207 times)

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Pitham's of Wexford Town
« on: Saturday 11 December 10 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi there! Looking for Walsh and Pithman.

My Great Grandparents Bridget Walsh 1901-1958 and Paul Pithman 1901-1983.

They had several children, some stayed in Wexford, and some moved to England, My grandmother  settled in and around London. I met family in Wexford in the mid 90s when I visited with my grandmother( daughter of Bridget and Paul -- also named Bridget, -- known as Brenda Pithman, born 1937, the youngest child who left Ireland at the age of 14. -- married Name Cox. We stayed with my nan's sister in Wolfe Tone villas, a few doors away, in the same street my nan Brenda grew up in. We spent most of our time with my nan's other sister -- Nan,( her name is Nan! ) who lived just around the corner, near the pub (can't remember what the pub was called ) We went there a couple of times. Most of aunt Nan's children live in Ireland! I managed to Trace Paul Pithman, his parents and siblings on the 1901 and 1911 irish census. The problem I have is tracing back further, and tracing Bridget's side of the family -- the Walsh's! I'm unable to get information on Bridget's Walsh's parent's and siblings, as my mother doesn't know. I just want to trace my ancestors as far back as I can go, and to learn more about my great grandmother Bridget Walsh, who was much loved by my grandmother Brenda.

Paul Pithman's parents were Paul and Annie. It has been known for their name to be spelt Pitman. Also Paul Pitman Jnr had another child out of wedlock!

My great grandfather Paul Pithman's Siblings: Joseph, William, James, Thomas, Mary and Anastasia --Their parents: Paul and Annie. ( Don't know Annie's Maiden name)

Hi Carrieanne 1

I can't help you on the Walsh's but I do have some info re the Pitham's. In the 1911 census Paul & Annie & family are living next door to my Grandfather's family, the Dalton's. As my GF (Thomas) was born in Sept 1900 and your G.GF Paul Junior was born in Feb 1901 it's highly likely they would have been school pals!!  By 1915 the Dalton family had moved to Barrack St which by co-incidence is the street where the Pithams lived in 1901!

I assume Paul's younger brother Thomas is the same Thomas Pitham who later lived in Saltee Avenue which is also where my GF moved to in 1948 until he died in 1976. Thomas Pitham was married to a 'Lizzie Walsh' - both are buried in Crosstown Cemetery. Maybe Lizzie and Bridget Walsh were sisters!

My Mother was best friends with 3 of their daughters: Nancy, Rose & Betty Pitham. I understand that Nancy's 'Grannie Walsh' lived at the top end of Bride Street.

Below I have attached a part copy of James Pittam's 1904 Bapt entry in the Bride St Church parish register. (Birth 3rd Oct, Bapt 4th Oct) This seems to confirm Annie's maiden name of 'Duggan' for you. The sponsors are Thomas Pender & Annie White.
Dalton: Wexford Town/Ireland
Curran: Ballyvaloo/Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Clowery/Farrell: Wexford Town/Ireland
Flood: Enniscorthy & Wexford/Ireland
Ormand/Kirwan: Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Shortman: Bristol/Westbury-on-Trym/Manchester
Trull: Uley/Dursley/Glos
Cross: Dursley/Glos
Hazard: Bristol/Manchester

Offline shorts

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Pitham's of Wexford Town
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 December 10 21:23 GMT (UK) »

In the 1911 census Paul & Annie & family are living next door to my Grandfather's family, the Dalton's.

Actually I'm mistaken on that one. http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Wexford/Wexford_No__2_Urban/Bride_Street__part_of/

It appears from the list of surnames that the Pitham's & Dalton's are neighbours but the list is a combination of two Enumerators returns as a Parish boundary splits the road in two. There is the St Mary's Parish half (the lower part of Bride Street in which the Dalton's lived) and the St Bridgets Parish half (the top part where the Pithams lived, known I think as Bride Place).
Dalton: Wexford Town/Ireland
Curran: Ballyvaloo/Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Clowery/Farrell: Wexford Town/Ireland
Flood: Enniscorthy & Wexford/Ireland
Ormand/Kirwan: Blackwater/Co Wexford/Ireland
Shortman: Bristol/Westbury-on-Trym/Manchester
Trull: Uley/Dursley/Glos
Cross: Dursley/Glos
Hazard: Bristol/Manchester

Offline carrieanne1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 03 March 11 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for replying back to me. You must think I'm  rude for not replying! :o

I received no email notifications on your reply. I am really sorry. It took quite some time for me to find
 this post.

I believe the Bapt record you attached  IS James Pithman -- younger brother to my Great grandfather Paul.
 James Pithman moved to and died in Glamorgan, Wales in 1983.

Perhaps Lizzie and Bridget were sisters. I will look that up.

I am going to Wexford in may to do a little research on the Walsh's. There are so many of them. I guess this is why I'm finding it  hard to pinpoint my relatives.

Thank you again for your reply, I will use this information in my search for the Pithman's and Walsh's

Carrie-Anne :D
Baldwin - Brixton and Streatham, Lambeth, England   
Baker -  Battersea,  London, England   
Bowden -   London, England.  Massachusetts, New York and New Jersey, USA
Bradshaw    - Dublin, Ireland and Manchester, England   
Clack - Reading, England   
Duggan - Wexford, Ireland
Gardiner - Yorkshire, England   
Walsh - Wexford, Ireland   
Shepherd   - Reading, England   
Poskit - Yorkshire, England   
Clark      
Dyer - Wandsworth, England   
Hooker - Lambeth, England   
Oesterman - Holland

Offline tintinn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 05 March 11 17:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am a descendant of James Pithman my Grandfather born 1904  who was Pauls brother, James was sent to wales in 1922 for being involved in the Irish uprising and did Die in 1983.
Their father was Paul Pithman 1875 and came from the area of Wexford known as Faythe he was married to Anni Duggan b1879, his Father was William b.1855c and married to Ellen Walsh b.1855c. If this information is useful to you please let me know.

regards, James
Pitman, Pittman, Pithman. Wexford Ireland.

Offline carrieanne1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 March 11 00:45 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much! This information is fantastic. I've been struggling for so long researching the Pithman's  --  so pleased to learn my 3rd Great grandparents are William and Ellen -- It's such a relief to finally  know.

I believe that my Great grandfather Paul was also involved  in the Irish uprising.

It's Great to hear from you...You have made my day!

Carrie-Anne
Clack - Reading, England   
Walsh - Wexford, Ireland   
Clark      
Oesterman - Holland

Offline tintinn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 06 March 11 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm pleased you like the info if you want I have Pauls other brothers and sisters names.

Jim

Offline carrieanne1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Pithman's of Wexford Town
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 06 March 11 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Yes please! That would be great. Thank you!

Do you know William and Ellen's birth place?

Pithman's are hard to find in Ireland, especially when there's other variants such as Pitman/Pittman. The only Pithman's  i can find are on Familysearch.org  from 1900s onwards and they are my/our Pithman relativeness in Ireland.
I found a Mary Ellen Pithman;  Married in Wexford 1845,  on the same site.  That's the earliest date I can find for a Pithman in Ireland.

There are many Pithman's on England Censuses in the 1800s,  and I've also found 2 German Pithman's,   one on the 1891 England Census; Albert Pithman age 28, Lodger, who was born in Germany. I found a  Johann Pithman on Familysearch.org; married in Germany 13 Feb 1729, no info on his whereabouts after that.
There were many Pithman's on the American 1800 and 1900s Census.
Obviously I'll have to keep an open mind here, because I can't make any connections with these other Pithman's. I do bear in mind that perhaps Pithman may not be the original spelling of the family name and also distant relatives may use variants of Pittman/Pitman.

Thanks again.

Carrie-Anne
Clack - Reading, England   
Walsh - Wexford, Ireland   
Clark      
Oesterman - Holland

Offline tintinn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 March 11 04:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Do you have a GenesReunited account as my tree is there?
Jim

Offline carrieanne1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 March 11 09:46 GMT (UK) »
Yes I do have a GenesReunited account. I've not created any family trees on the account as yet, but I do have an Ancestry account where i research and  store all my information. If you would like to view any info you're more than welcome.

My account for GenesReunited is Carrie-Anne.

Thank you Jim.

Carrie-Anne
Clack - Reading, England   
Walsh - Wexford, Ireland