Author Topic: Tomnahurich Cemetery  (Read 33805 times)

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • J W L BRISCOE 72nd Highlanders
    • View Profile
Tomnahurich Cemetery
« on: Wednesday 19 March 08 18:55 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone has a plan of Tomnahurich Cemetery?

I have been photographing the war graves there for The War Grave Photographic Project.

I have a few left that I have not found yet, I have identified many of the different sections of the cemetery but there are a few that I have not found.  Usually if I can find the right section then I have a good chance of finding the grave.  I would like to find as many as possible before going to the Cemetery office for the last ones.

The Library / Genealogy Section in Inverness do not have a plan.

By the way, there is one interesting memorial there.   It has about 24  names from the Cameron Highlands between 1886 to 1948.  They all seem to be buried by the memorial, I presume they died at the barracks and perhaps had no family or were from outside the area.

Martin Briscoe
BRISCOE - Bolton, Heaton Norris, Rochdale, Oldham, Chadderton, Blackburn
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
HAMMOND - Quebec, Laverton, Masham, Grantley
SWALES - Laverton, Masham
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw
HARVEY - Trentham, Sheriffhales, Llanfyllin, Llanferres, Minera

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Tomnahurich Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 November 08 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Just having another try to see if anyone has a plan, I am down to about twenty that I have not found and wondering about having another go at finding them.  I don't want to have to go and ask at the office until I am down to a very small number.

Martin Briscoe
POUNDER - Middleton Tyas, Kirkbymoorside, Stokesley, Lambeth, Bolton, Newcastle on Tyne, Leeds
O'Shea - Quebec
PARRY - Caerhun, Deiniolen, ClwtyBont, Brynrefail, TalySarn, Brynrefail, Bethesda
EVANS - Llanfihangel Bryn Pabuan, Maesmynis, Dowlais, Stockton on Tees, Hartlepool, Trealaw

Offline ghostwhisperer

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 November 08 22:27 GMT (UK) »
I have around 200 random stones from Tomnahurich. Who are you missing, you never know I might have them. I might even remember "roughly" where they were and give you dodgy directions :)

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 November 08 22:37 GMT (UK) »
I have around 200 random stones from Tomnahurich. Who are you missing, you never know I might have them. I might even remember "roughly" where they were and give you dodgy directions :)

I have done most of the war graves there and I have somewhere identifying some of the sections (though even then there are some graves I have not found in them!).

I think most of the remaining ones are on the East side, just thought that if someone has a plan then it would help a lot.  I would like to get down to just a handful before going to the office because they have to look each one up and don't have any handouts showing the plan.

Armstrong   Leading Aircraftman   Edward Gladstone   619762      Royal Air Force   17th April 1944. Age 27. Son of Gladstone and Emily Armstrong;  husband of Isabella Armstrong of Inverness. Sec.20.Class3.Grave18.

Cameron   Lieutenant   James   136493   Black Watch (Royal Highlanders).   Army   16th March 1941. Sec.L.3.Grave115-116.

Cameron   Craftsman   Roderick Mckay   7585153   Royal Electrical and Mechanical Engineers.   Army   19th November 1945. Age 38. Son of George and Isabella Cameron of Aldourie;  husband of Jessie Nina Campbell Bell Cameron of Bishopmill Morayshire. Sec.5.Class3.Grave4.

Chisholm   Sapper   A   239087   Royal Engineers.   Army   1st May 1919. Age 38. NewJ.3.26.

Couper   Commander   Charles Gordon       Royal Navy   Royal Navy   19th February 1945. Age 42. Sec.A.Class2.Grave59.

Elrick   Private   Allan   2928914   1st Bn. Gordon Highlanders.   Army   31st May 1947. Age 24. Son of Peter S. Elrick and Margaret Elrick of Dalcross. Sec.18.Class3.Grave73.

Fowke   Lieutenant   Wilmot Stewart Hanbury   92416   234 Army Field Coy. Royal Engineers.   Army   18th February 1941. Age 25. Son of Wilmot Hanbury Fowke and Jean Rose Curwen Fowke of Inshes.  B.Sc. (Glasgow) Civil Engineer. Sec.H.1.Class1.Grave65A-66A.

Grant   Leading Aircraftwoman   Mairi   473130   Women's Aux. Air Force.   Royal Air Force   11th November 1947. Age 25. Daughter of Donald and Isabella Grant of Inverness. Sec.H.15.Class1.Grave7-8.

Horn   Serjeant   Alfred James   2818446   Army Catering Corps.   Army   23rd December 1945. Sec.19.Class3.Grave35.

Inkster   Aircraftwoman 2nd Class   Christine   2118405   Women's Aux. Air Force.   Royal Air Force   12th August 1944. Age 32. Daughter of Peter M. Inkster and Mary Inkster of Inverness. Sec.D.Class4.Grave10.

Leah   Flight Lieutenant (Pilot)   Philip Whittenham   47542   268 Sqdn.   Royal Air Force   24th August 1944. Age 25. Son of Harry and Isabel May Leah of Inverness. Sec.H.15.Class1.Grave33.

Macann   Gunner   Harold H.   1450046   317 Bty. 165 H.A.A. Regt. Royal Artillery.   Army   17th August 1942. Age 24. Son of Harold H. Macann and Sarah Macann of Glasgow;  husband of Anna Macann of Glasgow. Sec.H.10.Grave580.

Mackay   Private   P   71077   27th Battalion Canadian Infantry (Manitoba Regiment)   Army   24th May 1918 E 2 512

Maclennan   Serjeant   Donald   350715   4th Bn. Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders.   Army   Died of sickness 16th January 1917. Age 43. Son of Mr. and Mrs. MacLennan of Inch-on-cher Bunloit Glen Urquhart Inverness-shire; husband of J. Maclennan of 1 North Church Place Inverness.  H6.4.2765.

Murdoch   Sergeant (Obs.)   Ian   580576      Royal Air Force   8th April 1940. Age 22. Mentioned in Despatches. Son of Edward T.N. Murdoch and Christina F. Murdoch of Inverness. Sec.H.1.Class1.Grave97.

Reid   Driver   William Hay   2338513   3rd Div. Sigs. Royal Corps of Signals.   Army   3rd October 1940. Age 37. Son of William and Alexanderina Reid;  husband of Margaret Ann Reid of Inverness. Sec.21.Class3.Grave72.

Sinclair   Able Seaman   Donald   Clyde Z/6220   H.M.S. "Suva.".    Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve   16th January 1919. Age 29. Son of St. Clair and Catherine Gordon Sinclair; husband of Margaret A. Sinclair of 2 Deveron St. Inverness. Born at Inverness.  H6.4.58.

Stewart   Private   Robert   14686441   Pioneer Corps.   Army   17th May 1944. Age 43. Son of Mr. and Mrs. W. Stewart;  husband of H. Stewart of Inverness. Sec.21.Class3.Grave11.

Whyte   Private   Peter Graham   2931761   4th Bn. Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders.   Army   6th September 1947. Age 29. Son of George and Margaret Whyte of Inverness;  husband of Joan Margaret Whyte of Inverness. Sec.18.Class3.Grave46.

The other one that I have been trying to get someone with local contacts to help with, is one in the private burial ground at Dochfour.

Baillie   Brigadier   The Hon.  George Evan Michael       Royal Artillery and Commands and Staff General Staff.   Army   6th June 1941. Age 46. M C T D. Son of Colonel James E. B. Baillie M.V.O. and Baroness Burton of Dochfour; husband of Lady Maud L. E. Baillie of Ballindarroch.

Martin Briscoe
O'Shea - Quebec

Offline ardross

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 November 08 23:52 GMT (UK) »
I had a similar problem locating my relatives.John Watt and his brother Duncan Grant Watt.Both died in the Great War,and according to the CWGC were buried at Tomnahurich,giving plot/grave numbers,along with what turns out to be a "generic" picture of military gravestones.This fooled me and I spent hours searching for these.They are in fact buried in a family grave at the top of the hill,not far from the Cameron Highlanders memorial.I found the "office" to be quite helpful.Unfortunately no longer have the 'phone number.
Good luck!
Nigel Hirst

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 November 08 23:55 GMT (UK) »
I had a similar problem locating my relatives.John Watt and his brother Duncan Grant Watt.Both died in the Great War,and according to the CWGC were buried at Tomnahurich,giving plot/grave numbers,along with what turns out to be a "generic" picture of military gravestones.This fooled me and I spent hours searching for these.They are in fact buried in a family grave at the top of the hill,not far from the Cameron Highlanders memorial.I found the "office" to be quite helpful.Unfortunately no longer have the 'phone number.
Good luck!
Nigel Hirst

There are quite a few up at the top and many are not very clear.  I think one of the VCs is up there too.

Martin Briscoe
O'Shea - Quebec

Offline Heilan'man60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 November 08 23:57 GMT (UK) »
I was given the information for a relative's grave but unfortunately the office did not have any maps/plans to sell/give out.  I think this may be due to the Data Protection Act.

If you go to the cemetery, during your searches you will usually see stonemasons at work on headstones....they all have plans of the cemetery and can be helpful if they are not too busy!  I was kindly directed to the lair.

Worth a try!

Offline Martin Briscoe

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 November 08 00:05 GMT (UK) »
I was given the information for a relative's grave but unfortunately the office did not have any maps/plans to sell/give out.  I think this may be due to the Data Protection Act.

If you go to the cemetery, during your searches you will usually see stonemasons at work on headstones....they all have plans of the cemetery and can be helpful if they are not too busy!  I was kindly directed to the lair.

Worth a try!

I will go there eventually but I want to get to just a handful before doing that.

Data Protection Act sounds an excuse, plenty of other cemeteries make the index available and supply plans.  Some even put a basic layout plan on the notice board.

Go to Wrexham and there are also booklets available to collect off the notice board.

By the way, I have a large scale map but it is a basic map with no labels for the various sections.  Send me a message direct with EMail address if you want a copy.

Martin Briscoe
O'Shea - Quebec

Offline Gruemach

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 18 January 09 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Try Highland Council and their Transport, Environmental and Community Services Department and try to find the QSP Officer for Tomnahurich or the cemeteries inside the city of Inverness.

Gruemach