Author Topic: McDonald & McKenzie Families 1700's  (Read 2572 times)

Offline Old-Bonez

• RootsChat Senior
  • TURNER Jasper Mug c.1780. Friend of Jos Wedgewood
    • View Profile
McDonald & McKenzie Families 1700's
« on: Sunday 06 July 14 02:11 BST (UK) »
12 years into my family search & I'm still finding clues. I started my search on the heels of another researcher who sadly had passed so I took up the gauntlet to soldier on.

Lets start this search with Mary McDonald b. 12 Oct 1826 The Black Isle, Inverness. She came to Australia 1849 aged 21 and died aged 100 with so many grandchildren she was affectionately known as Greatie.

This search is for information on her mother Mary McKenzie b.abt 1798 (Scotland) who married John McDonald (supposidly 29 Sep 1823 St Anne, Westminster, Middlesex, Eng). I know that she died before 1854 but where is unknown. (John McDonald b.23 Aug 1797 Drumsmittal above Kessock Ferry Scotland. Died Australia)

Here is the twist!! I have just discovered on immigration papers into Australia that Mary McDonald already had an Uncle living in Sydney ... William Mckenzie. Now I presume this is her mothers brother which is why she was recruited for a Tutors position in Australia and was game enough to make the journey alone.

My search for a William McKenzie reveals the likely person was a convict:
Convicted at: Glasgow Court of Justiciary
Sentence term: 14 years
Ship: America
Departure date: 4th April, 1829
Arrival date*: 4th December, 1829
Place of arrival: New South Wales

Basically what I have now are two siblings William & Mary McKenzie .... I am looking for their family. My guess is that their parents married around 1790. The William may be that convict!!

Any assistance in cracking this puzzle would be gratefully appreciated. It will also probably reveal their parents.

Regards, Rob
Staffordshire: Turner, Emery, Hyde & Markland
Lancashire: Stirrup, Cloweth
London: Fountain,
Devon: Devonshire, Webb
Stirling: Wingate, 
Australia: Fountain, Turner, Solah, Paskins, Brookfield, Cowle, Trondsen

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McDonald & McKenzie Families 1700's
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 July 14 10:35 BST (UK) »
Have you tried the website www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk ?
You have to buy credits to use it, but the advantage is that it has a comprehensive set of records and you can access not just indexes but also images of the documents. Costs one credit to view a page of the results of a search and 5 credits to view an image.
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn