Author Topic: Stephenson Family - Newcastle upon Tyne - Mid-1800s -  (Read 21578 times)

Offline Mark Stephenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Stephenson Family - Newcastle upon Tyne - Mid-1800s -
« on: Friday 03 January 14 06:02 GMT (UK) »
I'm Mark Stephenson and I live near Philadelphia, PA, USA.  I trace back to John Patrick Stephenson who was born in 1852 and left Newcastle West, Ireland to go to Philadelphia sometime before 1873.  The Stephensons of Newcastle West came from Newcastle upon Tyne, and Stephensons still live there.  I am working my way back from Philadelphia to Newcastle upon Tyne and would appreciate any info that members can share.  And Happy New Year to all.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stephenson Family - Newcastle upon Tyne - Mid-1800s -
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 January 14 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat
Can you give us a bit more information about your particular Stephenson family?    It is one of the most common names in that area so it would help to know who John's parents were and if you have them on any census records.

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 January 14 16:18 GMT (UK) »
Big family, more information required. Section of your family quite famous. See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephenson's_Rocket

Neil
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline Mark Stephenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 January 14 16:53 GMT (UK) »
What I know is incomplete and is anecdotal.  There are a cluster of Stephensons in the Newcastle West, Ireland area.  My father and his sister tried to make contact without success.  My great grandfather John Patrick Stephenson emigrated to Philadelphia about 1870.  When his son's (one of them my grandfather) were still young, a letter arrived from the Irish branch offering to educate the boys if they returned to Ireland and cease to be Roman Catholics.  The Irish branch was supposedly wealthy and John Patrick worked for the Pennsylvania Railroad as a surveyor.  He threw the letter out and apparently did not share much about his past.

My census data is for his time in America.  I do not have the name of his parents and cannot say whether he was born in Newcastle upon Tyne and emigrated as a child, or was born in Ireland.  Is there any online database that I can consult to reach back to records that may lead somewhere?  Thanks.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 January 14 05:41 GMT (UK) »
Okay so he married , who did he marry,
his fathers name will be on the certificate,
we need a few details, no matter how small , they will help,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Mark Stephenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 January 14 05:46 GMT (UK) »
thank you for the guidance. i'll find out and respond.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 January 14 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Mark, I have failed to pick up a John Patrick Stephenson, on the American census,with the little detail, you have given,
The only one I do find arrives 1879, and he is Irish,
He is a railroad worker,
living with his son Richard M Stephenson and family,
Pennsylvania, 1910,

The other is a miner living in 1892, at Green n Back St, Pittson Pennsylvania,

Then in 1918, you have a John P Stephenson, a railway gateman working for the Pacific Electric railway company,

would you like to post a confirmed census for us, America is such a huge place, I am possibly in the wrong area,
So before you try to go back to his roots , you need to have as much information as possible gathered in America, hearsay and family stories are not all ways accurate,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 January 14 15:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mark

I'm thinking that it might be an idea to post your request on the Limerick Board - think that is where Newcastle West is  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcastle_West). 

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?board=68.0

It might be that someone with knowledge of there would be able to identify the family and then, if they did originate in Newcastle upon Tyne, you could use that info to find him here  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 January 14 15:33 GMT (UK) »
Is it your tree that's online - he is given as married to Mary Sterling?

Info obtained from the 1910 census.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***