Author Topic: Marriage Thomas Lavers & Isabella ? c. 1855-1860  (Read 6198 times)

Offline webb1e

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Marriage Thomas Lavers & Isabella ? c. 1855-1860
« on: Thursday 13 November 08 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'd be grateful if sombody could give me details of a marriage between Thomas Lavers, a soldier, born about 1827, and Isabella, born about 1836, surname presently unknown, some time between 1855 and 1860 (-ish).

Thanks very much,

John

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage Thomas Lavers & Isabella ? c. 1855-1860
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 November 08 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi

There is one on freebmd  in 1863 to an Isabella Rishworth in Billericay - not Scotland though
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline webb1e

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 November 08 05:10 GMT (UK) »
Hello CaroleW,

Thanks for that, but he was married in Scotland before 1863.

Regards,

John

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 November 08 05:22 GMT (UK) »
John,

Could you please provide all the information you have?

For instance, how do you know they were married in Scotland.  And before 1863.  And why have you posted in Nairn.

Regards,

JAP

Offline webb1e

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 November 08 05:44 GMT (UK) »
JAP,

I have it from what I believe to be a reliable source. Thomas first joined the army (RA) in 1847 and was discharged in 1859. He is in England with Isabella, born Auldearn (c. 1836)and son Thomas, born Devon in 1860, in 1861. Thomas re- enlisted in 1861, and went on to serve until 1871. Isabella and their second son Charles died in India. One of Charles' given names was Chalmers, which I thought might be a pointer to Isabella's surname, but I haven't been able to locate such a person on the Census. The only Service Record I have been able to find for him is four pages, one of which has no entries on it, and seems to be more of a "potted history" taken at his Discharge Board in India- which does refer to other documents referred to at that time - but the info I have doesn't include such things as his Medical History sheet or Military History sheet etc, where I might have normally expected to find his marriage details.

Regards,

John

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 November 08 06:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello John,

Do you have the birth certificate of Thomas jnr (born in Devon in 1860)?

Wouldn't that have his mother's maiden surname?

JAP

Offline webb1e

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 November 08 06:38 GMT (UK) »
JAP,

No, I don't have Thomas jnrs Birth Certificate. It would be nice to have the funds to get a relevant certificate for all the events I come across, but I'm afraid that I don't have these resources. Similarly I could add more units to those expired units that I have on ScottishPeople, but I won't be doing that until I have a basketful of queries, which is presently not the case.

John

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 November 08 08:46 GMT (UK) »
John,

Unfortunately most hobbies are not free.

The birth certificate for Thomas seems to be the best (perhaps the only?) way to find out Isabella's maiden surname.

Especially given that it seems, if I understand you correctly, that you don't have proof of when they were married or in which country (or perhaps even that they were married).

Incidentally, if their marriage was registered in Scotland between 1855 and 1875, it would not only be on ScotlandsPeople but would be in the IGI (births and marriage from the Statutory Register for that period were transcribed into the IGI).

Also, a free search on ScotlandsPeople finds that there are no OPR marriages at all for a Tho*s LAVERS, and no Statutory Register marriages for a Tho*s LAVERS from 1855 to 1875.

Good luck.

JAP

Offline webb1e

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 November 08 09:18 GMT (UK) »
JAP,

Thanks very much for your advice, you're certainly correct to say this hobby (or should that be obsession, past-time, passing interest? - different strokes ..... I suppose!) can be not inexpensive.

Thanks again
Regards

John