Author Topic: 17th/18th century Suffolk admons in Latin  (Read 4417 times)

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
Re: 17th/18th century Suffolk admons in Latin
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 00:36 GMT (UK) »
The eldest son, Thomas, married Elizabeth Sturgeon 1697 at Whepsted. They had (at least)
Philip of Otten Belchamp
Sturgeon of Assington, farmer (Will proved PCC 1782)
Sarah wife of Edward Chinnery (mar 1745 at Assington).

Has your contact any proof that Thomas and Elizabeth Sturgeon are their parents because both were widowed according to the 1697 marriage entry in Whepstead and I could see no children to them in Whepstead up until 1705? 

There is a baptism for a Mary Nunne to Thomas and Elizabeth in 1687 and a burial for Elizabeth wife of Thomas Nunn in March 1695-6 which is probably that couple.  Although there is also a burial of a Thomas Nunne in 1697, its quite likely this could be a son of the many other Nunnes in Whepstead rather than the earlier Thomas who it seems perhaps more likely was the one remarrying in 1700 to the widow Elizabeth Sturgeon.  As Sarah Nunn wife of Edward Chinery is born around 1724, according to the age on her burial, it would be pushing it somewhat for a widow to have been young enough to have still been having children in 1724 when she married for a second time in 1697.  Its not impossible but seems less likely (she'd have had to have been widowed very earlier and very young).  Similarly, its seems less likely she would have had a child named after her first married name, after her maiden name yes.  But I could be wrong. ;)
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 09:18 GMT (UK) »
The marriage of Joseph Nunn and Sarah Chinnery sounds plausible - will be interesting to see if there's any children.

I don't about the Little Cornard Nunn.

I think my contact has a question mark over it, hence wanting to go back to check the fiche for Acton and Gt Waldingfield. I'm getting a tad confused here myself to be honest! I think however that amongst this heap of wills and admons on my desk will be something that might answer some of these mysteries. Although I think I need to draw up a tree of sorts  because I'm a bit overwhelmed by all these names and dates....

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 10:01 GMT (UK) »
Do any of these help? These are all my Nunn admons for Whepstead and Hawstead: http://essexandsuffolksurnames.co.uk/nunn-research/nunn-wills/nunn-administrations-from-bury-st-edmunds-record-office/

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 19:28 GMT (UK) »
No Nunn baptisms to any parents nor a burial for a Joseph Nunn in Lavenham, Acton or Great Waldingfield between the 1679 marriage and the burial of Sarah Nunn widow in Acton in July 1683, but of course they could have been in any one of the other parishes in the area.  I think the 1679 marriage of Sarah Chinery and Joseph Nunn is a high probability rather than simply "plausible" because its the next parish to Acton and there isn't a marriage for a Sarah Chinery to a Nunn in Acton.  Where they were though is anybody's guess, I suspect she returned to her siblings in Acton after her husband died. :-\

There are some Nunn baptisms in Lavenham between 1715 and 1730 (may be some earlier as this wasn't checked), but burials not checked:

25 Sept 1715 Thomas Nun to Thomas and Elizabeth
3 Feb 1716-7 Elizabeth Nun to Thomas and Elizabeth
5 July 1719 Mary Nun to Thomas and Elizabeth

25 Dec 1722 John Nun to Thomas and Ann
5 July 1724 Ann Nun to Thomas and Ann

Looks like the first wife probably died and he remarried.  Marriages not checked for this period.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 19:55 GMT (UK) »
Yes, it seems plausible she would have returned to her siblings. Can't have been married all that long before her husband died, poor thing. In the will index, there's two possibles for Joseph Nunn, I think - both in Sudbury, one in 1682 and one in 1683.

I shall make a note of the Lavenham Nunns.

Gosh, we'll be lethal when Suffolk digitises its registers!! No stone unturned!

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Shame both those Joseph Nunn entries are Admons, would have been more helpful if they had been Wills. :-\

Can't wait for Suffolk to digitise their registers, we have many on fiche but a lot aren't very clear to read and we keep finding other lines which takes us away from the areas we own the fiche for.

It would be great if, like Essex, they were to digitise the original Wills they hold but who knows if that will happen.

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Indeed. It'll be £8, I think, to order both (£6 processing fee plus the £1 print out for each admon... I forget the postage too...). Might wait until Sudbury registers become more easily available!

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Ooh, have they put the admin fee up to £6 now?  Helps if you know a researcher who used to work there, her charges are very reasonable. ;)  I may add them to the next list for when we decide to get some more Wills so she can at least take a look and see what they say.  Interesting they are copying the Admons because we'd been told they wouldn't because they were in books.  We have St Peters on fiche so may see if Mum will take a peak, mind you we don't have the other two parishes.

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 25 November 14 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Indeed it was. Postage and handling together. The admons I ended up with appear to have been printed off microfilm (a bit stripy, if you know what I mean!).

Yes, worth a peak at St. Peter's - you never know!

Helen.