Author Topic: Trouble Dating Photos  (Read 1464 times)

Offline jaffacakes83

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Trouble Dating Photos
« on: Wednesday 10 December 14 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Could anyone help me date the photo attached? I believe this could be my second great grandmother so trying to see if the photo fits in my tree. Unusually she is in a wheel chair and I guessed it may be 1900?

Many thanks,

Laura

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Trouble Dating Photos
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Laura and welcome to Rootschat...It's helpful to post the back if you have it..do you know her date of birth.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline jaffacakes83

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol, sadly I only have scans but I did ask my aunt to check for me. I have attached an image of the back but sadly I couldn't read the handwriting. I think this must be one of my 2nd great grandmothers so the date of birth would either be 1847 or 1861. (1861 is the more likely of the two).
Laura

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 20:10 GMT (UK) »
It would be the lady born in 1861 and She looks to be in her mid to late 40s.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

Offline fifer1947

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Who's the military man in the background? ............. or am I seeing ghosts  :-\
Ireland, Co Antrim: Kerr; Hollinger; Forsythe; Moore
Ireland, Co Louth: Carson; Leslie
Ireland, Co Kerry: Ferris
Scotland, Perthshire/Glasgow:  Stewart
England, Devon/Cornwall: Ferris, Gasser/Jasser/Jesser, Norman

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 20:12 GMT (UK) »
It's a plant  :D
Carol

Offline jaffacakes83

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Ha ha.. it does look rather eerie. Thanks Carol so the photo is around 1915? That would definitely rule out the other Grandmother as she died 1902. I also have another photo which I think is her parents. Any idea on the date on this?

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 20:37 GMT (UK) »
The divided back postcard was introduced in 1902 so it still could be her at a pinch. It's always a good idea to post the back if you have it. I can see a resemblance to your earlier photo.
Carol

Offline jaffacakes83

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 10 December 14 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carol, this is the back of the photo for the old couple. I believe the woman could be the mother of the lady in the wheelchair. The size of the photo is 9x14cm. I can read the back of this photo which sadly isn't names it says 'Lily breakfast in oven'... :)