Author Topic: John Evans Chirk Bank  (Read 13825 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Evans Chirk Bank
« Reply #9 on: Friday 16 July 10 20:28 BST (UK) »
I suppose I might be the only one who has easy access to the Chirk baptisms 1820-30 but I'm not convinced that the children  were baptised there and it really takes a lot of time to do all these checks.

Have you got definite evidence of them with their children, born Chirk on any census?  The name is not uncommon  :-\

Maybe a purchase of the Clwyd FHS transcripts might be your best way forward or a trip to the Records Office in Ruthin or Shrewbury. I'm really  not convinced that they are Chirk. Your  info doesn't convince me  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Morganllan

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 17 July 10 02:16 BST (UK) »
Good luck with your search Eklon :)

I have Evans ancestors from Hengoed/Oswestry area and have put off trying to find them as I know it will be a nightmare  ;D

Offline Eldon

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright,
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 17 July 10 12:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you and thank you also Gadget for all the work you have done. Unfortunately travelling is not an option for me at the moment.
Athalia Evans (she marries James Dodd) has her birthplace as Chirk in all her censuses.
The Phillips name crops up again. Ann Phillips is my maternal Gt Grandmother and she was born(1852) at Preesegweene and her mother was Mary Davies.
Athalia has a George Davies as her marriage witness
I have done some work on the censuses. !861Has John and Ann Evans both 62yr. (no family) living at Chirk Bank--and both born in Montgomeryshire (no placename) Ref:RG09:piece1879:F 32: p 5:
1871 John Evans 72yr. b Montgomerys. is in the Lunatic asylum near Shrewsbury.
Haven't been able to find Ann in 1871.
In the late 1870s onwards all my father's lines Jones/Dodd/Negus and Phillips are all in Chirkbank and most of them are digging coal. The men are migrating into Chirk and marrying local women. The Evans' are probably another example.
Hill in Tavistock, Twose and Coles in Halberton, Flower in Havant and Wells.
Negus in Polebrook  Jones in Kingswinford, Phillips in Chirk, Dodd in Cheshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 17 July 10 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Again Eldon

I did see the couple on the 1861 b. Montgomeryshire but I wasn't sure if it was them. Is there anything at all that you can think of that would identify them as Athalia's parents?

There are these  three baptisms, which you mentioned,  in addition to Athelia where the parents are John and Ann

Samuel 14 May 1820 where John (collier) and Ann are given as Chirk Bridge
Edward 21 July 1822 , J & A are Chirk Bridge
Sarah 27 Sept 1827, J & A down as Prees Gwaen (sic)

Athelia was down as  Pen y Bryn which, as the map that I've already linked to shows, is on the St Martins side of the Ceiriog.

The other couple on the 1841 census that you identified in Chirk Bridge, has John as an Ag labourer so i think that the one that I found in Preesgweene is most likely. This was the last place that we know that they were living from the registers.(1827)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Eldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 17 July 10 19:50 BST (UK) »

I did see the couple on the 1861 b. Montgomeryshire but I wasn't sure if it was them. Is there anything at all that you can think of that would identify them as Athalia's parents?

No; I know nothing at all. I just have her father's name and Occ. from her Marriage  Cert.

I searched the Montgomery IGI and could not find either parent.

Regards Eldon.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 17 July 10 20:08 BST (UK) »
 ???

Did you not read the other things that I've said/reported? I've spent a good bit of time searching all this up for  you?

I'm now starting to wonder whether I've wasted my time  - why do I bother   - not even a thank you ::)

Gadget

Offline Eldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 17 July 10 20:16 BST (UK) »

The other couple on the 1841 census that you identified in Chirk Bridge, has John as an Ag labourer so i think that the one that I found in Preesgweene is most likely. This was the last place that we know that they were living from the registers.(1827)

Yes I am inclined to agree with you:
1. Athalia and Thomas Dodd are living in Preesgweene in 1839 (Mar.Cert)
Thomas Dodd's father has remarried and has started a second family in Bickerton in Cheshire. He is probably staying with Athalia's parents.
2. In the 1841 census Thomas and Athalia are living in Rhoswiel Wharf, in St Martin, Weston Rhyn. Sounds near the canal because he is a boatman.
Their first child is Phillip (Thomas's father)
Their 2nd child is Sarah and that name is not in the Dodd family.

Now I am going to muddy the water :(
St Martin IGI: Baptism of Anne Phillips 4:8:1799
Father Thomas Phillips and Sarah.
Thomas is their 8th child and that name is not in the Dodd family either.
The 1841 census has her born 'not in Shropshire' Could be a slipup?
Regards Eldon.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 17 July 10 20:20 BST (UK) »
It's now really up to you.They're  your ancestors and you've not really taken much notice of what I've posted so far.

Gadget

Offline Eldon

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 17 July 10 20:34 BST (UK) »
It's now really up to you.They're  your ancestors and you've not really taken much notice of what I've posted so far.

Gadget

I really do not understand why you have become so hostile. I have been extremely grateful for all your information and have said so. Because all this has been new to me I have checked and cross checked, as far as I can on a computer, and made you aware of my findings.

Regards Eldon.