Author Topic: Wrono Punterling of Bodfari  (Read 5401 times)

Offline ncompass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wrono Punterling of Bodfari
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 02:47 BST (UK) »
Hi
I know I've arrived at this page 3 years after the thread was started ! 
But just in case you still want some info:
It's likely that the reference to the effigy in Tremeirchion and Sir Roger Pounderling is the same family as the Punterlings, or the de Punterleys or Punterlaya as they are also referred to.
The reference to the potential mutation of the Welsh place names is highly unlikely.  Names of properties were given as visual landmarks or due to their use, eg Penybont (end of the bridge), Pencoed (top of the trees) etc. If the effigy in Tremeirchion is connected with this family, it is of a very English style and it's unlikely that he was Welsh and therefore wouldn't have adopted a Welsh place name as his 'surname'.
I'm gathering some info that has been researched for us for Tremeirchion church at the moment re the Pounderling effigy, but there is little evidence that it is Pounderling and the history is a bit patchy and based on storytelling.
The Pounderlings or Punterlings were connected with a house near Tremeirchion called Siamber Wen and this was mentioned by Pennant in his Tours, but again we've found no evidence to back this up as yet.
Quite a few years after your first post I'm sure you've got all the info you were looking for now, so apologies if this is going over all ground.

Offline sstarr2008

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Wrono Punterling of Bodfari
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 14 May 14 13:12 BST (UK) »
I have since found that William de Punterleya made a charter in 1093 in which he granted the manor of Bodfari to the monks of St Werburgh in Chester. From this I also think that the name was probably Norman in origin.

Stuart
Starkey, Beaumont, Dunstan, Hogan, Nichol, Nichols, Laycock, Norbron, North, Smith, Connolly,O'Connor, Archer, Copley, Brook, Walker, Stocks, Berry, Swinden, Ambler.