Author Topic: Abel Lewis  (Read 4376 times)

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Abel Lewis
« on: Sunday 01 June 14 22:16 BST (UK) »
I'm interested in an Abel Lewis given in the 1881 Census as born in Llanfihangel Merionethshire? in c 1825.He is shown as married to a Jane who is given as born in Llandderfel Merionethshire in c 1830.They are showing as living at Sun Inn Cottages,Trevor Uchaf Llangollen Denbighshire.
RG11/5540/88/22.

I have included this on the Denbighshire Board as most of events of interest with their descendants occur in Denbighshire.First of all it appears that Abel married a Jane Richards in the Wrexham District of Denbighshire in 1856,given on North Wales BMD perhaps unfortunately as a "Wrexham Civil  Marriage"!

Of their children I am especially interested in their son Thomas Robert given as born in c 1871 in Llangollen.It appears that this Thomas Robert was to marry a Sarah Jones in 1897 in what is again given on North Wales BMD as a "Corwen Civil Marriage".This Sarah is given as born in Llangollen in c 1874 in the 1901 Census where Thomas Robert and Sarah are living at Ty Capel(Chapel House) Trevor,Llangollen Denbighshire.
RG13/5248/77/1.

Now again the son I'm interested in of Thomas R and Sarah is Idris born in 1907 in Trevor Denbighshire.Idris Lewis was to marry an Elsie May Williams in the Wrexham District in 1928 given again as a "Wrexham Civil Marriage" on North Wales BMD.

Coming to the "punchline" now,one of Idris and Elsie M's children who I can't name obviously is reputed to be a descendant of my Gabriel family but given on what I have I can't see any obvious link.I of course would very much welcome any thoughts on all this!

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Abel Lewis
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 13:04 BST (UK) »
Hi WR

What exactly are you wanting to know?

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 13:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gadget,I'm looking for any links to my Gabriel family that I can find with any of the names I mentioned.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 18:51 BST (UK) »
I assumre that you've done  searchings on Idris and Elsie May. A pity about the 'civil' marriage. Is it worth trying to contact the children to see if they know how they are related to the Gabriels.

Given that  we can't mention living people, 'tis a bit difficult to say much here  :-\

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 19:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks,I admit it isn't helped be the Civil Marriages.Its rather a stupid one really in that I've mentioned it to the "living person" after someone else alerted me to the connection and although he also had been told the same he doesn't know it exactly.

As for the "someone else" it is someone quite frankly I see but once in a blue moon!Also someone who is ex-directory just to help matters.lol

Idris is the Grandson of the Abel Lewis.Now Elsie May Williams is I think the daughter of an Edward and Sarah Williams?

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 19:17 BST (UK) »
The Edward Williams I spoke of looks highly likely to have married a Sarah Hughes at Llanrhaidr-Ym-Mochnant St Dogfan in 1886.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 19:22 BST (UK) »
A few Elsie M(ay)s here - first 7 listed:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0121b/

Do you have a death reg for her that would show an age/DoB?

Gadget

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 21:42 BST (UK) »
Elsie May Lewis is showing as dying in 1995 with a DOB 15/05/1908.This relates to an Elsie May Williams born in the June Qtr of 1908 in the Wrexham District.It also relates to someone on Ancestry listed as born in the rather strange place of Ap Denbighshire in 1911.lol

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 04 June 14 21:47 BST (UK) »
 ;D

I see how it could have been interpreted as Ap but it's clearly Cefn to those of us in the know  ;)