Author Topic: Richard Griffiths 1791 and Llanfair Talhairn  (Read 1441 times)

Offline bellam1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Griffiths 1791 and Llanfair Talhairn
« on: Friday 06 June 14 03:08 BST (UK) »
Quite some time ago I posted that I thought that Richard Griffiths c, 26/6/1791 LT, the son of Owen Griffiths and Anne Williams, had married Maria Jones of Plas Newydd. I now know that to be incorrect. Maria married another Richard Griffiths 1810 in Abergele 1845, died in Plas Newyyd 1850, and her husband later re-married in 1853 LT to Mary Williams and had a family at Plas Newydd.

I wonder whether Richard Griffiths 1791 had been living at Nant before dying in the Village of Llanfair Talhaiarn in 1855. A Richard Griffiths born abt. 1792 was living at Nant in 1851 and in 1831 he was appointed a trustee and guardian of the children of Jones Jones of the Harp Inn. Another writing suggests that he may been the Richard Griffiths who was baptised into the Mormon faith but had died at LT before he could travel with an emigrant group to the USA in 1856.

I am seeking the ancestors of my GGG grandfather William Griffiths b. abt 1823 LT who emigrated to Australia and later to New Zealand. His known siblings were:-
Margaret abt 1818 LT who married Peter Jones in 1839 and died 1866 in West Derby, Lancs
Edward abt 1833 LT who moved to Aust then to NZ where he died in 1918
Jane abt 1836 LT who married Abraham Mason Wainwright in Aust and died 1922 in NZ

No birth or baptism records for these four have been found but later records show their parents  were Richard Griffiths, Farmer, and Mary Owens. She is believed to have been one daughter of Owen Owens and Gwen Hughes who married in Llanrwst in 1780. Owen's will of 3 May 1832 at Coed Cochion (near Nant) mentions who his 4 daughters had married. His son and heir, Owen Owens 1781 Llanrwst, married in 1844 LT to Mary Jones 1797 the sister of Maria Jones 1799 of Plas Newydd.

Does anyone know whether there is a headstone or any other record (not readily found online in parish records) for the Richard Griffiths who died in LT in 1855, which may establish just who he was, his parentage, etc? I have not found anyone else who could be the father of My William Griffiths.