Show Posts

This section allows you to view all posts made by this member. Note that you can only see posts made in areas you currently have access to.

Messages - AntonyMMM

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 51
England / Re: Still Looking for Fewkes Information
« on: Thursday 15 March 18 08:22 GMT (UK)  »
Try the Angus Library

The Common Room / Re: Very recent death certificate copy
« on: Tuesday 13 March 18 21:15 GMT (UK)  »
A phone call to the registration office (assuming you know the district) will get you a copy, it may well still be in an open register and if it is the cost would be £7 (plus postage probably )

The Common Room / Re: Where are the bodies... ?
« on: Thursday 08 March 18 20:03 GMT (UK)  »
I would have thought it was the undertaker who would deal with the Green form

It should be the crematorium office, or cemetery admin,  who send them in. They will send them weekly or monthly in batches and are generally pretty good - it is the smaller burial grounds or churchyards where the returns sometimes get forgotten and need to be chased. Sometimes they come via the funeral director.

Of course, for cremations they only record the crematorium involved - there is no record made of where the ashes may eventually end up.

The Common Room / Re: Where are the bodies... ?
« on: Thursday 08 March 18 15:01 GMT (UK)  »
do you need to provide "the authorities" evidence of proper burial (etc)?

The registrar or coroner issues  a "Certificate for burial or cremation" , which is also known as  "The Green Form". This gives  authority for disposal of the body. This can happen before the death is registered in some cases.

The form has a tear off section which is completed and returned to the registrar to confirm where/when the funeral has taken place. The registrar checks the returned slips against the issue book to make sure all are accounted for.

If so, are these piece of evidence recorded?

The slips are are kept for a period of time(usually 6 years I think)  and then destroyed.

You didnít have to produce a birth certificate to get married until very recently.

Not necessary even now do have to produce proof of ID, but doesn't have to be a birth certificate. A passport is the the most common thing used.

The Common Room / Re: Researcher at the Guildhall Library, London
« on: Monday 05 March 18 17:27 GMT (UK)  »
Most of the London/South East based researchers on the AGRA list will visit the Guildhall for you

For a very simple look-up it may be cheaper to see if the Guildhall have an in house research service (most archives do).

Are you sure the lists you want are at the Guildhall Library and not at the London Metropolitan Archives ... the catalogue is combined, and notoriously confusing.

The Common Room / Re: Monetary value now of English pounds.
« on: Monday 05 March 18 13:18 GMT (UK)  »
There isn't really an exact equivalent - it depends on whether you measure against inflation (and if so, which measure), against wages or against purchasing power. All will give you very different answers, sometimes by huge factors.

But - definitely a very respectable sum to leave at that time.

. In my case my ancestor named his grandfather as his father on his marriage certificate. It has a line drawn through it. Not sure if he believed it to be true or maybe he thought the man who brought him up deserved to be named as 'father'. Anyhow someone must have put the boy right about his parentage. Not sure when the line would have been put through it.

A simple correction done at the time would be crossed through, and should be numbered and initialled.

If there is a marginal note explaining the correction, then it was done later.... that should be dated.

However, if it is a church wedding,  vicars are rather lax in following GRO rules and often just cross through any mistake made at the time with no explanation at all.

The Common Room / Re: Civil Registration
« on: Thursday 01 March 18 11:08 GMT (UK)  »
I suspect in 1900 - very little in the way of "proof" was needed.

Currently you have to show evidence of your ID ( doesn't have to be a birth certificate, very often a passport is used) ...and residence (e.g. utility bill with current address etc.). If either party is non UK and especially Non-EU then further documents may be needed. If either states they have been previously married, then death cert of previous spouse or divorce decree would also be needed.

Occupation, Father's name and Father's occupation entered on the regsiter are whatever the bride/groom choose to give and are not checked.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 51