Author Topic: WAGSTAFF, All  (Read 55227 times)

Offline RootsChat

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RootsChat Administration
    • View Profile
WAGSTAFF, All
« on: Friday 02 January 04 12:24 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to the Wagstaff Society
The One Name Study for
Wagstaff, Wagstaffe, Wagestaffe, Wagstafe, Waggestave or Wagster

www wagstaffsociety org  sorry the  website  is no working 2014- 2021

Feel free to post any questions you may have.  :)

Wagstaffe Journal
https://one-name.org/wp/wp-content/uploads/journal/vol6-1.pdf
Broken Links: Please report to us of any links that no longer work, or ones that are no longer appropriate by clicking the "Report to moderator" link on the message. Thanks! Get Poster

Offline MarkWag

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
WAGSTAFF's PRUSSIA/GERMENY
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 April 04 21:11 BST (UK) »
HELLO! Has anyone tracing the" WAGSTAFF" line came across (BARON DEE WAGSTAFF,12th century PRUSSIA) Have a good one MARK.

My email address is not working sorry

Offline Black Sheep

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Henry Wagstaff(e)
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 June 04 19:43 BST (UK) »
I having researching Henry Wagstaffe born around 1838 in Sutton, Cheshire. Henry's father was John Wagstaffe who was a surgeon in Macclesfield, Cheshire and have found him listed in the Cheshire directories for 1825 and 1837 listed at Bridge Street, Sutton, Cheshire. There is a possibility that he married Mary Curbishley in 1835 at Macclesfield  ???

I found Henry in the 1841 and 1851 Cheshire Census living at Finney's Farm in Gawsworth living with the Stubb family. What happened to John Wagstaffe  ???

At the time of the 1861 census Henry had them moved to Manchester untill his death in 1873.

I would be pleased to hear of any posslible connection or ideas on what to try next

Sarah
Robinson, Roberts, Roles, Griffiths, Walton, Royle, Chorlton,
Mott, Jones, Greenway, Morris, Bates, Mackay, Colley, Wagstaffe, Rickwood, Winston, Sockett, Bates, Haylock, Winston, Cleminson, Goodwin, Sockett, Bevan, Williams, Bell, Johnson and Dearson.

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
Re: WAGSTAFF, All
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 March 05 00:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi my great grannie was Alice (Maud) Wagstaff/e. She was born in Stoke Lacy, Herefordshire according to the 1871 Census.

Her father Thomas has his place of birth as Tarvin, Herefordshire in '71, but Suckly, Worcs in '81 & '91. His birth would have been circa 1836, so it won't be on the BMD, ( I may have found his death 1898 on Ancestory.com, but it'd be annoying and expensive to send for the cert only to find It is the wrong Thomas, and I have been informed that English death certs do not mention parents names).

Does anyone has any more avenues for me to try to find out who his parents might have been, what direction do I search pre 1837?
A source for the '41, '51 & '61 censuses would be appreciated.

Thank you (Sarah),

Grothenwell
Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Still, Fraser, Robertson, Burnet & Lumsden
Banffshire; Cruickshank, Bennet, Broug, Allen, West & Lyal
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 March 05 01:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Just incase it connects with any people, here are the Wagstaffe Children of Thomas and Elizabeth (Mother up until 1875?) and *Maria;

Elizabeth 1861, Alice 1863 (my Great Grannie)      
Louisa & Susan 1865, James 1868      
Teresia 1870, Rose 1873,       

*Tom 1876, *Albert 1878, *Sarah 1879      
*Charles 1882, *Annie 1883, *Illegible Male?1884      
*George 1886, *Looks like Annie again Illegible Female? 1888,                  
 *Phylis 1890

Update; Elizabeth Surname is Jones. Thomas's family in 1851 census is
Address - Five Bidges, Much Cowarne, Herefordshire

James Wagstaff          40     Head     M     Blacksmith     Worcestershire, Bredon
Alice Wagstaff             41     Wife      M                           Worcestershire, Cutsdean
William     ''                  18     Son      Un    Blacksmith                ''              Bredon
Thomas    ''                 15      Son      Un          ''                         ''              Suckley
Mary Ann    ''               13     Daur     Un    Scholar at home   Hereford, Much Cowarne
Elizabeth    ''               11     Daur                       ''                       ''                  ''
James       ''                  8       Son                       ''                       ''                   ''
John         ''                  6       Son                        ''                       ''                   ''
Sarah Alice    ''             4      Daur                                                ''                  ''

Aberdeenshire; Brechin, Robb, Clark, Hardie, Johnston, Watt, Elmslie, Milne, Harper, Adam, Edmond, Laing, Gibson, Aedie, Jameson, Argo & Doverty.
Booth, Watson, Grothenwell, Ewen, Mackie, Simpson, Piper, Taylor, Davidson, Willox, Chalmers & Gordon
Caithness; Sutherland
Herefordshire, Worcester, Monmouthshire, Gloucestershire; Wagstaff, Jones, Turner, Wiggett, Hannes

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 March 05 09:02 BST (UK) »
Sorry reference names,

Susan year of birth should be 1871,       

*Illegible Male?1884, I now believe is Ernest   

and

*Looks like Annie again Illegible Female? 1888, I think is Emily Annie                       
Caithness; Sutherland

Offline MercianSte

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 12 April 05 17:41 BST (UK) »
Do you have any information on Isaac Wagstaff of Nottingham who married Ann Wright in Widmerpool. I have no idea where he comes from. Can you help?

Offline Grothenwell

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Love Endures Delay
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 12 April 05 19:23 BST (UK) »
Tippin,

I presume that you have tried the IGI? If not, it has Isaac born about 1780 in Widmerpool, but also Upper Branton! Marrying Ann Wright in 1805 in both places, so perhaps one was from Widmerpool and the other Upper Branston.
I'd post a request for info in the Nottinghamshire section.

Good hunting

Grothenwell
Caithness; Sutherland

Offline linmey

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Propping up a Saxon shore fort!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 September 05 13:32 BST (UK) »
My great great grandmother was Elizabeth Wagstaff who was born in c. 1834 in Kimbolton, Hunts. She was the daughter of Joseph Wagstaff of Stonely, Kimbolton. She married Joseph Reynolds at Pertenhall, Beds in 1864 and had 4 children.
           I have only just started to look into this line of the family and would love to hear from anyone who has any links with this part of the Wagstaff family.
               Bye for now.
Reynolds, Woodham, Payne, Wilmott, Hart, Richardson, Packwood, Tandy, Dexter - Bedfordshire.
Chamberlain and Wagstaff- Hunts.
Freeman, Cheney, Cox- Northants.
Burns, Muter, Cobban, Hossack, Strachan, Moonlight.
Lanarkshire, Ross and Cromarty and Kincardineshire.
Garvey- Ireland.

Census Information Is Crown Copyright From--
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk