Author Topic: WAGSTAFF, All  (Read 55236 times)

Offline David Judd

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: WAGSTAFF, All
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 20 November 05 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Would welcome any details or information on WAGSTAFF(E) family of either Foleshill or Coventry for the period circa 16th century or around the mid 1550's. I have a Will for a William Judde dated 21 Sept 1554 which mentions a Thomas Wagstaffe. I also have a reference to a Johane Judd marrying a Thomas Wagstaffe, probably the same person. Would welcome any material or references to the surname JUDD(E) - David Judd

Offline MercianSte

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 02 August 06 20:46 BST (UK) »
Would any one know of any information on the Wagstaff's of Southwell. The above Isaac was born there in 1787 - to Daniel and Elizabeth Wagstaff. Other children include William (1769), Henry (1771), Mary (1780), George (1781), James (1784), Elizabeth (1789), Jane (1789).

Does any one know of these Wagstaff's, or where Daniel came from, or where the family are in the 9 year gap in christenings at Southwell?

Tippin

Offline rosemaryann

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WAGSTAFF, Francis
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 04 February 07 11:34 GMT (UK) »
I'm looking for information about Francis Wagstaff, born about 1837 in Pavenham, Beds and master of the ship on which my great-grandparents came to Sydney, New South Wales, Australia in 1879.  He retired from the sea about 1886, after getting a steamship certificate and became a marine surveyor in Barking (by 1901 Ilford) Essex.

There was a Wagstaff family on the ship, but they were no relation as far as I know:

Walter, (b. Worcester), Eleanor (b. Staffs) and sons Frederick and David (b. Worcester).

Does anyone know anything about Captain Wagstaff? (Or want to - I have lots more information about the 1879 passage)

Offline sunny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 21 February 07 05:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,
Posting my newly discovered Wagstaff, Thomas circa 1820 Gamlingay, married Mary LARKINS in Gamlingay Cambs
Children, George,  Robert and Tom( Thomas) all born Gamlingay (1851 census).
LARKINS, Cockayne Hatley and Gamlingay abt 2.47 miles apart.

Any takers?
Cheers Sunny

DORSET, Sprake, Hillier (all spellings), Rendall, Balston (all spellings) and many other related.
SUSSEX, Parker, Seagrave, Stroud and many more
KENT, Hillier, Jarvis, Bailey,
SURREY, Worwood, Frostick,and others
BERKSHIRE, Dulley
LONDON & GREENWICH, Dulley, Worwood,

Offline honestman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 July 07 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Does anyone know how to get in touch with the Wagstaff Society. I have tried the e-mail address one the web site but had no joy so far.

Stephen
Wagstaff,armour,neil, fulton

Offline cairnshouse

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 28 August 07 02:02 BST (UK) »
I have just found your message.

Please drop me an email at heather[--at--]cairnshouse.freeserve.co.uk and I will let you know where to send your subscription.

The cost is £5 in the UK and £7 overseas.

Heather Sykes

Moderator Comment: e-mail edited, to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please replace [AT] with @

Offline #Louise#

• RootsChat Extra
  • Evolution is just a theory – kind of like gravity
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 13 September 07 12:11 BST (UK) »
Ayrshire - Joseph Wagstaff c1770 - 1833

I've come to a standstill with my Wagstaffs.  I've researched (well, actually my mum has!!) the Ayrshire Wagstaffs back to Joseph Wagstaff & Jean Brown c1770.

I believe, as do others on RootsChat, that Jean Brown and her ancestors lived in the Loudoun area of Ayrshire.  There are many Browns, but there don't appear to be any other Wagstaff families in the area.  Joseph looks like the first Wagstaff to settle in Ayrshire. 
If this is the case, where did he come from? ???

Josephs first child was born in 1792 in Loudoun, so he must have married (or at least met) Jean Brown in 1791 or a little before.  If there are no other Wagstaff families in the area, did he move on his own, with a sister, or with a brother who either never married or moved on quickly?  It's frustrating the census only started in 1841, and OPR records are so hit and miss! :(

Also, we know Joseph was a weaver, and there is a high concentration of Wagstaffs in the Derbyshire/Midlands area on the 1881 Surname Profiler.  This appears to be an area well known for weaving, so the odds are looking good there.

The further back you go, the more difficult it becomes! :)
England, Bedfordshire: <b>Lawrence</b>
England, Cumberland: Trotter
England, Northamptonshire: Barritt, <b>Bowland</b>, Lawrence, Morris, Parsons, Sharman, <b>Toseland</b>, Tuckwood
Ireland: Mitchell/Michael
Scotland, Ayrshire: Grant, McKee, McKenzie, <b>McKnight, Wagstaff, Workman</b>

Offline Jandrewartha

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 13 October 07 07:01 BST (UK) »
Sorry it has taken so long to reply to your query.  I am in Australia and researching a Joseph Wagstaff who arrived in Tasmania as a convict.  He stole I believe either some linen.  I have a photogrph of our Joseph who may be a relative of the Joseph you are interested in, perhaps a son?

Regards Jeanette

Offline #Louise#

• RootsChat Extra
  • Evolution is just a theory – kind of like gravity
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 October 07 09:30 BST (UK) »
This Joseph looks like the son of the one I'm researching.  I've been trying to find out where he was transported to with no success!  I would be most grateful if you could email me a picture.  It would be wonderful to see what he looked like. :)

[EDIT] Different Joseph :( 
England, Bedfordshire: <b>Lawrence</b>
England, Cumberland: Trotter
England, Northamptonshire: Barritt, <b>Bowland</b>, Lawrence, Morris, Parsons, Sharman, <b>Toseland</b>, Tuckwood
Ireland: Mitchell/Michael
Scotland, Ayrshire: Grant, McKee, McKenzie, <b>McKnight, Wagstaff, Workman</b>