Author Topic: What in the devil is a Whip Thong Maker?  (Read 12232 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: What in the devil is a Whip Thong Maker?
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 26 July 18 09:54 BST (UK) »
An American company had this slogan "buggy whip's, s product with a future" this was in the 1890s unfortunately for them.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 26 July 18 10:28 BST (UK) »
The thong on a whip is what is often called the lash, it is the platted leather extension of the whip that allows the rider to open gates etc., from the saddle. It also allows riders to catch runaway horse, free hounds from brambles and a million and one other tasks all without dismounting (some rotund riders cannot re-mount without a mounting block or a handy gate etc.)

Other uses the whip/thong combination have been put to include warding off domestic dogs which where biting the mounts feet.

I still have two whips and thongs that were used in the 1950s and who knows how long previously  by my family.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline cmcmull

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 July 18 11:28 BST (UK) »
Sorry I am having trouble reading rootschat page on a new phone. I had searched for reply from Jan after getting a message  to say there was a reply and then saw that list of names with Spooner and thought that must be it.  That is a coincidence but I was wondering why she had Spooner if William whipthong maker is her ancestor as it is his sister who married a Spooner. 
McMullen NSW & NZ, Brewster, Freestone Cambs, Carlyon, Jolliffe and Leverton Cornwall, Sutton, Ellis Lincs, Soles Gls., Boyce Tyrone, Leckey Co Down, Cuthell London & Stirlingshire Scotland, Cubitt London Sussex and Norfolk, Vale NSW, Wenham Cambs,Goodfellow Wiltshire, Shaw Derbys. & Notts., Whitlock Norfolk, Fort Lancs., Cameron Inverness, Fraser Stratherrick, Scotland, Reedy Ennis Co Clare, Murphy, Brennan, McAuliffe Newmarket, Co Cork, Doherty, Reynolds M'town Malbay, Ennistymon  Clare

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 26 July 18 14:40 BST (UK) »
And I thought thongs were a type of underwear
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 26 July 18 14:46 BST (UK) »
The thong on a whip is what is often called the lash, it is the platted leather extension of the whip

Thus far I agree with you, Guy. Thereafter, though, you seem to be a little bit muddled.

The thong is "the bit that goes swish". It's not the bit that allows you to open gates and so on ... that's the stiff hooked bit, not the swishy bit.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 July 18 18:35 BST (UK) »
The thong on a whip is what is often called the lash, it is the platted leather extension of the whip

Thus far I agree with you, Guy. Thereafter, though, you seem to be a little bit muddled.

The thong is "the bit that goes swish". It's not the bit that allows you to open gates and so on ... that's the stiff hooked bit, not the swishy bit.

Yes I agree but if you are on a large horse the crop (the stiff hooked bit) is too short to reach many gates and the experience rider then uses the thong (the bit that goes swish) to extend the reach of the crop.
Incidentally the third part is the cracker which is a short flexible bit added to the end of the thong to allow the rider to make the whip crack sound.

Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.