Author Topic: 1901 Leftovers: Should we correct transcription errors ??  (Read 111840 times)

Offline downside

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Make my day
    • View Profile
Re: Should we correct transcription errors ??
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 27 January 07 19:45 GMT (UK) »
A transcription error is one thing

How do you know when something is a transcription error?

When transcribers see an illegible name they have to enter something but it can sometimes be a guess.  For instance I transcribed a census return today.

The surname looked like Ponson.

I checked at the 1901census link and they had indexed it as Ponson.  As I don't necessarily trust this source due to the high number of errors it contains I looked elsewhere for confirmation.

I checked at the familysearch on the 1881 census but couldn't find them.

I checked at freeBMD for births of Ponson in Epsom and couldn't find any.

So I had to enter something and I've had to go with the name Ponson, but I have my doubts as to whether it is actually correct.

downside
Sussex: Floate, West
Kent: Tuffee
Cheshire: Gradwell
Lancashire: Gradwell

UK Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mackiwi

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Per Ardua
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 27 January 07 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Folks,
Mine was a search in Scotland. All suggestions have been checked , thank you. :)
Mackiwi
MCINTYRE, TAYLOR, DUNCAN Skipness & NTHKnapdale
CAMPBELL,MCKINNON,MCDONALD ,Isle of Coll
MCINTYRE,CAMPBELL, Isle of Bute
MCMILLAN Rutherglen, Scotland
PERRIN, STEPHENS,PAYNE,FEAKINS,PREECE,DUDSON, Endland, Australia & New Zealand
BASON, Potterspury, England
MASON Potterspury England
HENSON, Potterspury England & New Zealand
WYBROW, England, Australia & New Zealand
WHITE Sri Lanka & new Zealand
TRAILL, America & New Zealand
MACGREGOR, LOCKHART, STEPHENSON,MCKELVIE, Scotland

Offline seahall

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://5bravemen.weebly.com/
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 02 February 07 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

When I transcribed some villages for the 1881 Census I was given a book instructing me exactly how to transcribe and even the way I had to do my letters.

It is a ideal thing to leave in my family history memorabilia as it shows the detailed instruction book and my own hand-writing.

Sandy  :)
Census Crown Copyright

Offline eise

• RootsChat Member
  • Jessie and Margaret Bird -my grandparents 1909
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 01 September 07 14:03 BST (UK) »
hi there,

I know the IGI welcome anyone who can truthfully correct mistakes as I have done so in the past;  With the proof you have I would have thought it was the best and most honest thing to do;

I have found people missing from census forms even though the front sheet you see says this person is there;  I actually wrote to ancestry.com about this issue;   
Search said that Catherine Charlotte Hardiment was there; The front sheet said the same with all the household included; But the actual census form does not show either Catherine or her family??
I am still awaiting correction of this error after 6 months;

Eise
Burton Latimer; Isham; Rushden; Raunds; Great Addington;
Cheshire; Northants; Bedfordshire; Hereford;

Offline Jeanette H

• RootsChat Member
  • One-Half of Dancing-Duo Waltzing Through 'TARDIS'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Monday 03 September 07 17:22 BST (UK) »
Hello To All RootsChat Members,

How is this for Incorrect Transcription Errors?

We recently took out a months subscription with ‘FindMyPast’ to ‘Passenger Lists Leaving UK’ .  With in the first couple of days we came across incorrect ages on the Transcription Pages. 

It was while checking the Transcription Pages against the original Shipping Record, we found that the female Passenger we were checking out, her age had been swapped with the person (a male) listed above, she was transcribed  incorrectly as 16yrs, when she was actually 32yrs.

The next entry we came across listed this certain person as having an age of well over 900 years (can not remember exactly), however I do recall giving them a comment to the fact that: “According to the Bible, Methuselah lived 969 years, this one seems to have lasted longer”.  I also mentioned to them that: “On the original record it appeared to be [-7], it was hard to read but could be a [27] not sure”.

‘FindMyPast’ - do have the facility for reporting any errors that anyone may come across.  The errors were also rectified within a matter of  2 or 3 days.  By the way they also credit your account with 3 credits (for each report) for taking the trouble to report the transcription amendment.
Also recently on Ancestry.com, we decided to check out an address on the 1891 UK Census.  Where it is known that a person we are researching had been employed by the 'PYSER’ family, the surname came up as ‘TYSER’

We then went to the 1901 UK Census, this time they were listed as ‘PYSER’.  We checked the original Census records and could definitely see the letter as a [P].  The other documents we viewed, which listed ‘PYSER’, were Birth and Marriage Certificates.

I guess one must always try to view the original document, and not take all that we see transcribed as being factual.

Although where would we be, without the many people who do give up their time to transcribe the many and varied resources, we need in our research?  We just, must be prepared to check and re-check everything.

Jeanette H.
One-Half Of 'Dancing-Duo' Waltzing Through Time & Space. 
Researching To Find Lots Of Things Not To Do.

Research Names & Areas:
Ayrshire, Sct.: BROWN / BAIRD / BURNS(BURNESS) / CAMPBELL / COWAN / HUTCHISON / REID / WYL(L)IE
Roxburghshire, Sct.: TURNBULL / VEITCH /  ELLIOT / MURRAY
Aberdeenshire, Sct.: WATT / MITCHELL
England: TOPPING / MEDLEY
Ireland: MORROW
Australia: BROWN / BAIRD / TURNBULL / WATT / TOPPING / MORROW / MEDLEY / TACKI
Germany: ECKHARDT / HUBNER / TACKI

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 22 October 07 19:14 BST (UK) »
I know Ancestry does offer the facility to correct transcript errors and have used it myself when I have been absolutely sure of the information but the original transcript is not changed - it just pulls the correction up when your searching

I always do it because I know these documents can be hard to read when transcribing and also local dialect can be misheard

I think the rule should be as said earlier - transcribe as it is on the census - if you come across it later when searching submit a correction

I dont know how findmypast deals with this problem but hopefully its something similar

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Jeanette H

• RootsChat Member
  • One-Half of Dancing-Duo Waltzing Through 'TARDIS'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Willow 4873,

In response to your post
.............I dont know how findmypast deals with this problem but hopefully its something similar

Willow x

as you will see I did make reference to this in my previous post.

Hello To All RootsChat Members,

.......................... ‘FindMyPast’ - do have the facility for reporting any errors that anyone may come across.  The errors were also rectified within a matter of  2 or 3 days.  By the way they also credit your account with 3 credits (for each report) for taking the trouble to report the transcription amendment......................

Jeanette H.

Hope this helps to explain.

Jeanette H.
One-Half Of 'Dancing-Duo' Waltzing Through Time & Space. 
Researching To Find Lots Of Things Not To Do.

Research Names & Areas:
Ayrshire, Sct.: BROWN / BAIRD / BURNS(BURNESS) / CAMPBELL / COWAN / HUTCHISON / REID / WYL(L)IE
Roxburghshire, Sct.: TURNBULL / VEITCH /  ELLIOT / MURRAY
Aberdeenshire, Sct.: WATT / MITCHELL
England: TOPPING / MEDLEY
Ireland: MORROW
Australia: BROWN / BAIRD / TURNBULL / WATT / TOPPING / MORROW / MEDLEY / TACKI
Germany: ECKHARDT / HUBNER / TACKI

Offline Willow 4873

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • 22nd July 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 23 October 07 13:29 BST (UK) »
Thanx Jeanette - missed that

Have just found a Best transcribed as Bast (not suprised the writing is terrible) which I have corrected as I was following the line and knew who it was.

Saying that I think I have followed completely the wrong line as the originator of the Best line - George - married an Ann Toovey not an Ann Hughes who I was expecting out of my line   :(

Back to the drawing board to see if I'm right or wrong

Willow x
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and is for academic and non-commercial research purposes only<br /><br />Researching: Hilton (Wolverhampton & Tamworth) , Simkiss & Mears (Wolverhampton & ?) Bowkett & Nash (Ledbury & Wolverhampton) Knight & Beard (Gloucestershire), Colley (Tibberton) Hoggins (Willenhall) Jones (Bilston), Harris & Bourne (Droitwich) Matthews (Wolverhampton & High Offley) Partridge (Monmouthshire)<br /><br /

Offline Subaru

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Whitehaven harbour
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 25 October 07 14:03 BST (UK) »
I have suggested alternatives on Ancestry when I know it is the same person (living in the same house as 10 years earlier, with the same family, birthdate etc) 

Ancestry leaves the original transcription, and gives the alternative underneath, and the option to check the reason given by the person who has corrected.

Most of the alternatives were the same family - Groggins - I have a list of the variery of names used for them.  As it is quite an unusual name, I can forgive and understand the confusion.