Author Topic: Genealogical Moan  (Read 7423 times)

Offline Amy K

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
  • Genealogy: Chasing your own tale!
    • View Profile
Genealogical Moan
« on: Tuesday 24 August 04 23:04 BST (UK) »
I recently made contact with a distant cousin - My Gt Grandads niece, in fact.
She is a lovely old lady and told my loads and loads of really useful and interesting things about the family. She mentioned that my Gt Grandmother had a glass eye. I found this fact amazing, not so much in  itself but in that if I had never contacted her I would never ever have known. Anyway, I was really pleased.
So, I rang my Nan and said "Nan, did you know that Grandad's mother had a glass eye?", to which she replied, "Yes, she poked it out with the handle of a saucepan". I was dumbstruck!! Why had my Nan never mentioned it? Apparently, she had forgotten about it.
So, I rang my Dad, a bit jaded but still wanting to share my family tree find. "Dad, did you know your Grandmother had a glass eye?", "Yes, love everybody knows that". Why had my Dad never thought to mention it? Because he took it for granted that evrybody knew.

There's a moral in there somewhere, but I'm too annoyed to look for it tonight.

It make me wonder what other juicy titbits they are keeping from me......
Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
Re: Genealogical Moan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 August 04 23:10 BST (UK) »
I don't know... some of our relatives have no eyedea. ;)
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Amy K

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 August 04 23:11 BST (UK) »
 :D

Ha Ha, That's cheered me up no end.
Information contained within Census Lookups is Crown Copyright:  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline M.T.H

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 August 04 23:18 BST (UK) »
I can't figure out how your greatgrandmother poked her eye out with a saucepan though!!! ???  ???
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

British Military History

Offline Amy K

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 August 04 23:19 BST (UK) »
Well, the other lady told me she did it with a bottle!! So I am even more confused!!

Offline Chris in 1066Land

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Forever Searching, Forever Learning"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 August 04 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

Probably fell off the shelf and hit her.

If I remember correct, saucepans were always kept upside down on a high shelf in the kitchen - my grannies were and so were my mums.

If we could get hold of them as kids, we used to put them over our heads as helmets when we were playing at wars.

Chris in 1066Land
One of Rootschats Founder Members RIP 1942-2021
Living at the Heart of English History in 1066Land. 
www.Rootschat.com/history/hastings

Swarbrooke Family Heritage
https://swarbrooke.co.uk

Own Ancestral Website:    http://maythornemill.webs.com                                          
Monumental Sculptures Website:    http://Tombstones.webs.com

Local History Site: http://zouch.webs.com
Baldslow Local History site
http://web.archive.org/web/20140626153455/http://www

Offline Fitty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Rooting through my Roots
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 August 04 23:28 BST (UK) »
My Nan had a clothes airer on a pully that was suspended over a big black range.  It made an ace "den" when we hung sheets over it and pegged it down with pans. 

:)
---------------------------------------                    <br />                    (  @ @  )<br />-----------oOOo-(_)-oOOo---------<br /><br />       Any one seen any BAXENDALES?<br /><br />--------oooO---------------Oooo-------<br />           (    )                    (    )<br />            \\\\  (                      )  /<br />             \\\\_)                    (_/<br /><br />Brighouse:  Smith<br />Lambeth: Clisby<br />Leeds: Baxendale,Baxter, Beales,Bowe

Offline Amy K

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 August 04 23:29 BST (UK) »
Chris, that's exactley the way my Nan explained it to me, still doesn't explain why the other lady thought she did it with a bottle though!!

Oh yes I forgot to mention... What topped the whole thing off was when I had a little moan to 'im indoors, he couldn't see what all the fuss is about. And I quote "Well it doesn't really matter if she had a glass eye or not does it?".  

Well I don't care I'm chuffed I found out about it. Hooray for gossipy old ladies!!!

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 August 04 23:34 BST (UK) »
I'd imagine tha the sausepan handles would have been hollow, like the enamelled camping/armed forces sasepans which would have been pretty lethal if they fell on you as you were reaching up to get one.  :-\
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.