Author Topic: Gamlingay/Whittlesey parish registers  (Read 1053 times)

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Gamlingay/Whittlesey parish registers
« on: Wednesday 26 October 05 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hello,

On the Cambridgeshire Baptism index I've found a couple of my Charlotte gypsies, both of which entries indicate that there is more than the usual information available.  If anyone finds themself in the vicinity of these parish registers and could let me know what this extra information is I'd be extremely grateful.

1817 CHARLOTTE Helena, abode gypsies, d. of John & Sophia, parish Gamlingay
1829 CHARLOTTE Levanci, abode Borfort, Oxf., d. of John & Sophia, parish Whittlesy St. A (St. Andrew?)

From the IGI Helena's baptism is June 17th 1817.

(Also would be interested in an interpretation of 'Borfort, Oxf.' from the registers as I can't find any such place. ::))

Thanks in advance for any help that anyone can give.

Jo.  :)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Re: Gamlingay/Whittlesey parish registers
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 26 October 05 17:42 BST (UK) »
Jo,
I don't suppose "Borfort, Oxf." could be Burford in Oxfordshire, perhaps somewhere her family had travelled from prior to coming to Cambs.
If I have time on my visit to the CCRO this Friday, I'll have a quick look in the transcripts for both Gamlingay and Whittlesea to see whether there's anything else...
Very best wishes,
keith

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 October 05 18:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,

Thanks for the reply and the offer - it's much appreciated.

I'd wondered if Borfort was Burford, or Barford St. John?

Best regards,

Jo.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 28 October 05 23:32 BST (UK) »
Jo,
I'm afraid I have not performed any miracles today at the CCRO, as there appeared to be no extra information in the transcripts I studied.  Here are the entries in their entirety:
In the Gamlingay records:  17-06-1817  Baptism of Helena CHARLOTTE daughter of John and Sophia  gipsies.
I also spotted a marriage in Gamlingay for 17-08-1812 for:
John CRISSHILL bachelor and Sarah CHARLOTTE (x) spinster b.o.t.p.  Witnesses: Henry Page (he was probably a church warden as he appears as witness many times in this period) and Sarah Cox.
Then, in the Whittlesea St. Andrew records a baptism on 05-07-1829 for: Levanci Charlotte SMITH daughter of John CHARLOTTE of Borfort Oxf. Labourer and Sophia SMITH from Wendover, spinster.

One or two tiny extras, a slight confusion over the surname used by Levanci - a shame there was nothing more...
Keith
p.s. Do you know whether there is a tradition amongst gipsies for children to take the surname of the mother, as this appears to be the case here on 2 occasions?

Offline Sasha

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 29 October 05 10:29 BST (UK) »
Hi Keith,

Thanks for taking the time to check these records out for me.

I'm not sure about the children taking the mother's name - I'm still learning about gipsy customs and traditions - these are on my husbands line and any oral history that his family had seems to have been largely forgotten unfortunately.

It's the first reference I've had that John and Sophia weren't married - I'd been looking for a marriage pre 1817 so it now looks like I need to be looking post 1829 (if indeed they did marry at all).

I've found Levanci's marriage and she married as a Charlotte, but then after her marriage (to a Boswell) the family sometimes used Smith as a surname so it all does get a bit confusing.

I don't know where Sarah Charlotte fits in yet but I'm sure she will do at some point so thank you for that extra information.

Best wishes,
Jo.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 29 October 05 11:02 BST (UK) »
Jo,
Glad I could be of some small help - I imagine the Gipsy family research will be fascinating: but extemely difficult!
Keith