Author Topic: Quinn & Dalton Creenagh Armagh  (Read 4300 times)

Offline quindalton

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Quinn & Dalton Creenagh Armagh
« on: Saturday 29 October 05 01:52 BST (UK) »
Patrick and Agnes Quin/Quinn nee Dalton between the years 1828 and 1870 lived in Creenagh Township near the Bridge just down from Kilmore in the County Armagh....I know that five of there children came to Felling County Durham between the years 1841 and 1861....Those five children were Thomas born 1829,Patrick born 1831,Margaret born 1833, Mary Ann born 1836 and Felix born 1846 all came to Felling and apart from Margaret....married in St Patricks RC Church giving there place of birth and parents to the priest at the time of there marriage...Margaret married William Douglas in Armagh about 1854.... she had her sister Mary Ann with her when she came....Felix came later...an older relative Mary Quinn nee Dalton already lived in Felling on Tyne in 1841...a widow of Thomas Quinn....who is reputed to be brother of Patrick who never left Armagh....although Agnes his wife did in 1885 she came to Elswick Newcastle upon Tyne dying there April 4th 1886.....had the last of her children finally left Armagh to go ???????? abroad....or had they died or did she just fewel the need to be with her first born son...she was 78 years old when she died....Although five different branches have come together on Tyneside  because of the archives at Blandford House Blandford Square Newcastle upon Tyne....which has the archives of most of the Roman Catholic Churches on Tyneside....which has enabled five of us descendents ....to come together because there is a rich history of marriages and the connection to Patrick & Agnes....and the cousins being God Parents at baptisms which sometimes ended in deaths of children lost in epidemics and the sorrow all must have felt...I just know that there are other brothers and sisters of this family out there somewhere...for Agnes would have just been 38 when Felix was born...and Felix would have been 24 when his father died....did Agnes move in with a son or daughter that live in another area perhaps Loughal  Tandragee...Mullavilly or Richill...or perhaps a Dalton relative....Catholics and Church of Ireland lie together in the C Of I churchyard in Kilmore....is this where Patrickis buried....Well come on all the lost brothers and sisters of the five on tyneside wether in the New World  or UK or Ulster or elsewhere inIreland...if the names sound familiar from half remember stories ....

The names that repeat in every generation are.....Thomas ...Patrick..Margaret ...Mary Ann...Felix... Agnes....John...Francis ..Joseph...James....Annie... Rose...Eilis(Elizabeth) Laurence....Peter....Catherine...and Liam....a few additions but still very ordinary names.....I am a great grandmother now myself....and the Catherine may be spelt a different way such as Kathrine and Kathryn and even the danish Karen and Elizabeth and Laurence and Patrick and Mary .........about the only name not still getting used is Felix....an Uncle ...of mine being the last of that name .... popular incomers were Leo.... Bernard... Michael....Sheila and Kathleen and Megan (welsh for Margaret) hope that some one out there has a few Quinns up there family tree.....one lost branch is the Johnsons of Gillingham Kent with a Rose Quinn grandmother or great grandmother she is my cousin...and a Thomas Quinn a John Quinn and a Felix Quinn who we lose track of in Jarrow but think they may have ended up in Sunderland Durham..... Felix born 1846 married Mary Cain and had ten Children in Jarrow in the area of Salem and Dee Street....ther are many side branches  and the tree is a spreading chesnut tree and very healthy....Do get in  touch and even if we are not relatewd I bet I have come across your ancestors on my searches over the last 15 years....Looking forward to hearing from you all........Patsy N ....nee Quinn

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Quinn & Dalton Creenagh Armagh
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 November 05 10:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Patsy,

Anne Dalton is the only person with the Dalton surname to appear in Griffith's Valuation 1864 (this is the year the Valuation was done in Co. Armagh) She lived at Lissheffield, Loughgall. Quinns are all over the county so I will let you look for yourself as you might have a better idea than I do which ones might be connected to your family. http://www.failteromhat.com/griffiths.php The Valuation for Ireland took place between 1848-1864. 

Surname Search
There were two families named Dalton living in Armagh between 1848-64. Surname enables you to cross check the surnames and shows the parishes where families of both names lived. http://scripts.ireland.com/ancestor/surname/index.cfm

IGI http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/search/frameset_search.asp?PAGE=ancestorsearchresults.asp

International Genealogical Index Co.Armagh
John Dalton - Male Birth: 1691 Donlee,Donavalley
Eliza Dalton Female Birth: 12 MAY 1872 Newry, Armagh
Henry Edward Dalton Male Birth: 11 MAY 1867 Newry, Armagh
Mary Dalton Female Birth: 09 APR 1864 Licheffield Richhill, Armagh
William Dalton Male Marriage: 14 AUG 1845  Armaghbrague, Armagh
John Dalton Male Marriage: 19 NOV 1846 Clonfeacle, , Armagh

Best Wishes, Christopher

Offline cbxchop

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile