Author Topic: Mystery picture found near site of Canadian plane crash in Wales...who is he?  (Read 140154 times)

Offline Caroline_d

• RootsChat Member
  • All information is appreciated
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery picture found near site of Canadian plane crash in Wales...who is he?
« Reply #72 on: Thursday 03 November 05 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I thought I'd post some replies I've received today so you can trace the progress and will save someone else emailing etc.

~~~~~~~~---

[font=Verdana]Thnak you for your email and very interesting story. I have a couple of ideas that may be of some help, are you in Canada or the UK?

Regards,

Matt Lacroix
www.bombercrew.com
[/font]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Greetings Caroline,

As Editor of the Ex-Air Gunner's Newsletter Short Bursts, I will post your request in the December Short Bursts Page.
We might get some response. The Newsletter goes out to the various Ex-AG Branches across Canada, it is also read by Veterans in the UK , Australia, New Zealand, U.S.A.

Cheers,

John and Doreene Moyles.
moyles@sasktel.net     

--------------------------------------------------------------

Janice has also been in touch with the mayor of New Brunswick and he is going to visit a family with the surname of Burke still in the area.  So we are waiting for a reply to that too.

Anges Weild - Annan - married William Blenkinsop - Annan
Jane Scott, Roxborough who married William Hope (children, Wilhelmina Amelia, Horatio Nelson Trafalga Hope!) 
James Blenkinsop (born Dumfries)
James Blenkinsop (born Lancashire)
Wilhelmina Blenkisop (born Surrey) married Arthur Price (Wales)
Henry Reginald Price (Brecon, South Wales)
Evans (Coelbren, Wales)

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Great-grandfather Private Arthur Henry Prior
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery picture found near site of Canadian plane crash in Wales...who is he?
« Reply #73 on: Thursday 03 November 05 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi all - what a great mystery!  I hope you are successful. 

I don't know if this would help, but the service records for these men are available from the Library and Archives of Canada.  WWII records are not open for public viewing, but you can request copies from the Archives.  There are some restrictions on WWII service records, but because these men have been dead for more than 20 years and they died in service, there are no access restrictions on who can view their records. 

More details and an application form are available here
http://www.collectionscanada.ca/genealogy/022-909.007-e.html
There is no mention of cost, but I would think there must be a charge for the photocopies.

I happen to be going to the Archives tomorrow (Friday) evening.  Should I drop off a request?  Those of you who have been following this know more about it than me.  Would service records be useful?  Would they be needed for all the men, or one or two in particular?

Let me know what you think...

Martha
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Eagle (Yorkshire), Prior (Berkshire), Buckland (Nottinghamshire),
Short (Devon), Sinclair (Caithness, Scotland), Patterson (Co. Tyrone, Ireland)

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery picture found near site of Canadian plane crash in Wales...who is he
« Reply #74 on: Thursday 03 November 05 20:55 GMT (UK) »
Ooooh Martha, I was hoping someone would finally pick up on my idea of trying the Archives  ;D ;D ;D
I for one would love you to go - I'm sure the others will feel the same, but will let them speak for themselves.

Cheers  :)
Prue

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Thursday 03 November 05 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the enthusiasm Prue!

But what am I asking for?  I will not be able to look at the file myself, only request photocopies.  They offer something called a "genealogy package" which gives copies of selected documents that highlight the person's service.  Does that sound like what we need?

And, as I said, there is no mention of cost on the website. I will try to find out before ordering.  If it's going to cost me $20 per serviceman, I'm afraid I won't be ordering all of them  ;D  Who are the more likely candidates/priorities?

Martha
Information given in census transcriptions is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PrueM

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Please don't try to PM me :)
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery picture found near site of Canadian plane crash in Wales...who is he
« Reply #76 on: Thursday 03 November 05 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Well, probably what we need to find out more than anything is if there is a photo of each person.  On Oz WW2 records each person has a small mugshot attached to their service file.  It might be hard for you to find that out without being able to view the original files, though.  Does the Canadian Archives have reference officers who assist the public with enquiries?  It might be worth talking to one, and explaining what it is that you're doing - they might have a look on your behalf.

What do others think?

Offline Caroline_d

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Thursday 03 November 05 21:55 GMT (UK) »
I've found some info from the Canadian Archives. As you can see it says they try to answer in 30 days.  I'm hoping we can resolve this before that! 

MJP. thanks for the offer of finding out info during your visit tomorrow.  I'm happy to cover the costs of the documents and obviously don't want to put you to any expense. 

I have no idea what items they can produce etc.  so if they don't have pictures then we really will be no further in our research as we have their parents names and service numbers already.  Maybe you can just enquire tomorrow as to what records they will supply.  I've noticed they accept fax requests so I can fax them with a request if we know they can help...so would be grateful if you could find out if they supply pictures and then we can go from there.  I'm hoping some of the people I have emailed will get back to me shortly so maybe we can hold off ordering from the archives for now.

Are there others out there who know more?  Besides the info listed below from the archives site, I don't know what else they can provide.  MjM, I will PM you about this more.

This is what they have to say:

We try to answer inquiries within 30 days; however, our Personnel Records Unit receives over 2,000 inquiries a month, which can affect response time. Priority service is given to people who require documentation to prove thatthey qualify for pensions, allowances, claims and other benefits.

For projects involving research in a large number of files, the request will be assessed by our staff to determine if current resources can accommodate such an extensive commitment.

How to Send an Inquiry Concerning Your Own or Another Individual's Records
Your request must be signed.
To identify a file, we require surname, full given name(s), date of birth, and service number or social insurance number.
If you do not know the date of birth, service number or S.I.N. (social insurance number), secondary information (e.g., the names of next of kin, postings, dates of service, place of enlistment) can assist in identifying the correct individual.
Consult the section below on Access Restrictions.
Please specify what document(s) you require. If you are doing family history research, we recommend that you request a "genealogy package," which will include copies of selected documents from the file that highlight/summarize the individual's service.
We do not accept e-mail inquiries for these records.
We do not accept e-mail inquiries for these records. Inquiries must be sent by mail or fax.
Your request can be written as a letter or you can print off a blank copy of the Application Form, which should be filled in, signed and sent by mail or fax.
Inquiries should be sent by mail or fax to:
Personnel Records Unit
Library and Archives Canada
395 Wellington Street
Ottawa, ON
K1A 0N3
Fax: (613) 947-8456

Caroline

Jane Scott, Roxborough who married William Hope (children, Wilhelmina Amelia, Horatio Nelson Trafalga Hope!) 
Evans (Coelbren, Wales)

Offline dennford

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Thursday 03 November 05 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Martha,
       I dont think I can add anything to what has already been said. We have all the relevant information with the exeption of individual photo's, now. Unless as has been said, photo's are available then we would be no further. However a friendly chat at the archives may well be helpfull.
       If your visit doesn't turn anything up it looks like we will have to be patient and wait for areply from one of our enquiries.
                                                    Denn
Ford, Baines, Dixon, Platts, Peat, Proctor, Rotherforth, Dakin/Daykin, Sales, Beech, Hall, Parkin, Nightingale. ----- Harthill, Waleswood, Woodhouse-mill, Whitwell

South Yorkshire/Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire

Torremocha, Candog, Ramos, Reyes, Rodrigueus
-------Philippines --- Bohol

Offline MJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Friday 04 November 05 19:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi all,

Whew!  Just finished talking to someone at the Personnel Records Office at Library and Archives Canada.  Here's the scoop...

The WWII files of those who were killed in action have been released for public viewing.   (Those who died after the war are not public).  Good news for us.  This means that I would be able to order up the files for these guys and look at them myself. 

Good news #2 - these files usually contain a head shot of the person, as Prue suggested.

Re photocopies:  A "genealogy package", which includes copies of the key documents, is free of charge, but they are "currently experiencing a backlog" of 4 months.  Furthermore, the photos are not included in this genealogy package, as they will not photocopy photographs.  If you want the photo you have to pay extra for proper photographic reproduction.  One way to get faster service is to order a copy of the entire file (instead of the free genealogy package), but this is not practical as they are usually 200 - 400 pages at 40 cents a page!

Soooo....it sounds like the easiest thing is for me (or some other rootschatter from Ottawa  ;D ) to just go and have a look at the files to check the photos and look for any other pertinent info.   I am happy to do this sometime, but I will be out of town for 2 weeks this month, so I may not get to it right away. 

I'll keep checking here for updates on the other leads that are going on out there...

Thanks,

Martha

Offline Caroline_d

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Friday 04 November 05 21:18 GMT (UK) »
Martha, great work.  No doubt we are all looking foward to your visit!  Any information gathered is a great bonus...great suggestion Pru.

I've had a reply from an internet site which is " dedicated to all Commonwealth Air Personnel of World War Two".

I would recommend others to take a look as it may assist in their research and it a very nice site. 

the reply was as follows:

I would like to put a short tribute about the crew of the Wellington on my website including the story of your grandfather finding the photograph at the crash site. I have had success in reaching family members of my cousin's crew in this manner. Perhaps by posting the info on the website the family members can find you.

Let me know what you think.

Regards,
Matt Lacroix
www.bombercrew.com

I've emailed back to accept the offer to post the tribute and will keep you posted.

Caroline

Evans (Coelbren, Wales)