Author Topic: Mystery picture found near site of Canadian plane crash in Wales...who is he?  (Read 139476 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery picture found near site of Canadian plane crash in Wales...who is he?
« Reply #261 on: Friday 09 November 07 14:48 GMT (UK) »
We need to think about this really hard...Originally we were assuming the photo was one of the crew from the downed aircraft...

Although an intriguing question...I think any who have spoken to veterans know Mr. Caron likely has enough wartime demons...and because he may be living, we probably should not be looking for him. Should he or a family member find this thread and choose to join in...I think that might be more appropriate?

J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Caroline_d

• RootsChat Member
  • All information is appreciated
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery picture found near site of Canadian plane crash in Wales...who is he
« Reply #262 on: Friday 09 November 07 18:27 GMT (UK) »
I just recieved an email and purely by mistake I opened it (I normally delete all emails from unknown scources),

I don't know who the writer (Bill Grey) is and can't find any mention of him on the thread. However he obviously has some interest in the mystery so her is the short message from him.

"Hi Dennis,

As one who has been  heavily involved over the last two years in giving
details, photos etc to both PhyllisBurns (nee Allison) and Wes Cross of
McGill University, I and others have studied the photograph together
with one or two of the crew photographs and have come to a calculated
guess that the unknown airman is the original navigator of MF 509 - viz
Gaston Carron

There is a photograph of Bill Allison and a sergeant studying a map near
the front of a Wellington, and in spite of the flying helmet, we are
convinced the sergeant is Gaston Carron.

The point is - where is Gaston Carron now, or whatever happened to him ?

I really wonder??

Regards,
--

Bill Grey"

Denn

Hi Denn,

I've been in contact with Bill Grey, he has visited the memorial site a few times and was also one of many who made the hike last May.  After I contacted McGills they contacted people who had taken photograhs in the area and Bill was contacted via a friend who kept a website so he has been updated etc on the story since finding the McGills connection.  He has been kept up to date of all the findings including updates on this website (sounds confusing!).

Most presume the photograph belongs to Gaston Caron.  JJ, I note your comments about finding him, and I too have presumed if he or a family member had come across the thread they can choose not to get in touch which is totally understood.  We have hit a brick wall with Gaston Caron and it looks likely that we will never know.

An update:
Recently I was contacted by someone who had come across this thread.  He mentioned it to a friend of his who has written a few books, including stories of tracing crew members.

The author is Edward Dolyrsh.  He asked for information on this story but only had a week to get the final edit back to the publisher.  I forwarded a link of this thread as it holds most of the information found to date and all the effort put in by so many people.  I also forwarded the McGills website and the blog which is also in use. 

I have no idea if any of the information will appear in the book but it is goes on sale early December, so I'll keep an eye out and let you know. 

The author is Edward Dolyerush and the book is called Rocks in the Clouds, here is the Amazon link:

long link to Amazon.co.uk

Moderator Comment: URL modified, as it was 'stretching' the screen
See tips here, to avoid this:

Topic: Shrinking Very Long Website Links / Topic: Post too W--I--D--E!
Anges Weild - Annan - married William Blenkinsop - Annan
Jane Scott, Roxborough who married William Hope (children, Wilhelmina Amelia, Horatio Nelson Trafalga Hope!) 
James Blenkinsop (born Dumfries)
James Blenkinsop (born Lancashire)
Wilhelmina Blenkisop (born Surrey) married Arthur Price (Wales)
Henry Reginald Price (Brecon, South Wales)
Evans (Coelbren, Wales)

Offline Caroline_d

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery picture found near site of Canadian plane crash in Wales...who is he?
« Reply #263 on: Friday 09 November 07 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Has contact been made with the Villeneuve family?  A friend of ours has just been named as Jacques new race engineer for 2008.

Karen

Karen, the Villeneuve family have been contacted on his mothers side.  We drew a blank from his fathers side.  His half-brother sent a prayer stone which was placed at the site. 

I used to Google Jules Villeneuve to see if there were updates and would always come across this site first.....now since Jacques named his son Jules, its kind of getting in the way and when I think I've found something new, its news on the baby and not the navagator.  

A photograph of Jules can be found here:

http://mf509.blogspot.com/2006/04/photo-of-jules-villeneuve.html
Jane Scott, Roxborough who married William Hope (children, Wilhelmina Amelia, Horatio Nelson Trafalga Hope!) 
Evans (Coelbren, Wales)

Offline Aussie Karrob

• RootsChat Member
  • Looking for those pesky elusive ancestors !!!
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery picture found near site of Canadian plane crash in Wales...who is he
« Reply #264 on: Sunday 11 November 07 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,
Congratulations one and all.  Fantastic.  Huge. WOW and all other superlatives to you and other helpers.

:( Sadly I must be the slowest person on here in the Roots family.  Only today have I come across this wonderful story.  A male of 57 yrs, I have been reduced to tears many times reading this story of selfless giving; showing embarrassment when an accolade is thrown your way, and deflecting that accolade toward others.  NOT SO NOW.  YOU WEAR THAT ACCOLADE ON YOUR MOST GENEROUS SHOULDERS please, from a most humbled Aussie.

It is people like you that set the example of "generosity of spirit" to the rest of the world.  A world who many in this Roots family often make complaint about.

There are not many people that I would willingly be on my knees to, BUT FOR YOU LOT I WOULD MAKE AN EXCEPTION with no hesitation at all.  And I would remain there as long as it took for you all to recognise the generous spirit in each of you.

I had to live with a father who enlisted in the Australian Army in Sydney in 1939.  After Officer Training School he went to Artillery School in the belief that if he knew enough he could then be posted overseas to help lead the men.  That never happened which saddened and embittered him for ever.

I have some appreciation for that which you have done for our fellow Canadian families.

This story is the pinnacle WOW experience for me here on Roots and I am  :'( :'( :'( my eyes out again as I write this tribute to you all, the researchers.

Robert
Check the "Surname Interest Table" at the bottom of most screens to check all my SURNAMES.

SHEPHERD, ALSOP, GIBBS, ANDREWS, GREENWAY, COLBORN - Gloucestershire
KELK, COATES, LEEMAN - Lincolnshire
STANGER, POLLARD, HASLAM, WRIGHT - Surrey
MATTHEWS, POOK, COBBETT - Somerset
BAILEY, COLLINS, McDOWELL - Australia, then who knows where in UK?

For more family names visit:
http://www.robertshepherd.tribalpages.com

Visitor password: 1596

Offline Caroline_d

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: Friday 16 November 07 20:06 GMT (UK) »
For anyone wishing to see the DVD of when we visited the Wellington at Carreg Goch, May 2007, it can now be viewed on Youtube at the link below.

Many thanks to Peter at Freeway Productions for making the video and allowing it to be posted on the web. 

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=bmbC7eAuSjc

UPDATE:

Peter has kindly added a page to his own company Website which has the Wellington story and the DVD can also be viewed.

http://www.freeway-productions.co.uk/

Evans (Coelbren, Wales)

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: Friday 16 November 07 20:24 GMT (UK) »
Wonderful Caroline, thanks for posting that!!!

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: Friday 16 November 07 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Caroline

Thank you for sharing the video with us.  It was wonderful. Hopefully the families know that it's on YouTube.

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: Saturday 17 November 07 04:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Caroline...
 My hubby & I watched with the usual "damp" eyes. Very well done video.
I did not know that the wreckage had almost been moved to a "back yard".    Sad ...that person did not realize the significance of the remaining aircraft. (and good for Mr. Michael & his group to thwart the effort)
  We think of these boys often... J.J.
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline mitchell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: Sunday 18 November 07 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Caroline,

Thank you for posting the link...very moving video.

Elaine
Mitchell, Turner, Henderson, Archibald, Smith, Walker, Burgess, Alexander, Margetts, Joss - Aberdeenshire
Proctor, Morrison, Henderson, Burgess, McWilliam, Green, Grant, Young, Dey, Allan - Banffshire
Proctor, Logie, Grant - Moray
McRae - Ross & Cromarty and Invernesshire
Clunie, Philp - Fife

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk